DavidHunter

Options for keeping upward-facing camera domes clean

Hi everyone,

I am installing some weather and star monitoring cameras in a variety of environments around Australia and New Zealand. The cameras are all facing straight up, and so the camera domes are also facing up.

I need a way of keeping these domes as clean as possible for as long as possible.

I'm expecting the following could be problematic:

• Bird crap
  • Dust
  • Sea spray
  • Rainwater
  • Other grime...

I have no idea what else to expect as I've never done this sort of thing (outdoor camera domes) before, so I'm open to any thoughts you may have.

The problem is these cameras are going to be mounted on rooftops. So it's going to be a pain to get someone to clean the domes manually. (And I will be at least a two-hour drive of a six-hour flight away from some of the cameras, so I can't do it myself easily either).

Does anyone know a way of keeping these camera domes clean to begin with?

I have heard of special coatings... do they actually work? How many years do they last? Do they affect image quality?

Thanks in advance for your help.

David

Edited by Guest

Nope, using these bad boys: https://www.huntergeophysics.com/product/ricoh-theta-v-4k-spherical-camera/

Just figured someone in this forum might have a solution.

Ok ... your thread ...... options for keeping upward-facing camera dome clean.

Then you post link to something completely different

Twin lenses not water prof and no dome.

How are you going to charge the unit .... how are you going to collect the footage from 6 hour flight away when unit has such a low retention time before rewriting.

It’s a handheld unit

I would also look at the 15mp dahua twin 360 camera full weather proof

Full h265 and will hold more data

My question was about keeping the dome clean.

I'm not asking for advice about the camera itself. I already have that sorted.

You're correct; the thread is titled "Options for keeping upward-facing camera domes clean", which is precisely why I asked in my original post "Does anyone know a way of keeping these camera domes clean to begin with?"

I posted the link to the camera I am using because you asked if I was using a CCTV camera.

It’s not an upward facing camera it has two lenses ..... you don’t face it up you place cam with both lens left and right

But I’m still asking what dome ... cam you listed does not have one

Your options to keep off dust rain bird muck ..... that camera is not even water proof and it even warns you about heat

It’s just a handheld 360 camera lens back and front two lens giving 360

D9259523-553C-49A1-A5FF-F4E9DEF525C1.thumb.jpeg.2c8776eca82dc451c52501d99686a6c2.jpeg

Edited by Guest

I am installing some weather and star monitoring cameras in a variety of environments around Australia and New Zealand.

How are you going to monitor if your 2hs and 6 hrs away

You do understand that camera is not over internet it’s local only

It's a full-sphere camera. It sees in all directions, including straight-up.

I am aware of its environmental requirements; I wrote that website text.

I have written software to control the camera using a microcomputer and to automatically upload the images to my server. I don't need to be there in person for them to operate. I can control them remotely if needed.

It is attached to a standard camera tripod mount and needs not be handheld.

I am currently prototyping with a 9" diameter cheap plastic dome from eBay.

All I need to know is how to keep the dome clean with as little human intervention as possible.

It's a full-sphere camera. It sees in all directions, including straight-up.

I am aware of its environmental requirements; I wrote that website text.

I have written software to control the camera using a microcomputer and to automatically upload the images to my server. I don't need to be there in person for them to operate. I can control them remotely if needed.

It is attached to a standard camera tripod mount and needs not be handheld.

I am currently prototyping with a 9" diameter cheap plastic dome from eBay.

All I need to know is how to keep the dome clean with as little human intervention as possible.

Well since your involved in the camera READ YOUR SPEC...... 2 12mp cameras front and back.

How are you going to remote view to camera and control ..... It has no IP protocol

Either you have posted the wrong link or we are all missing something.

You want to monitor 4K video remotely with h264 ..... Not going to happen with that camera ..... Battery life is only 40mins

Looking at google play and apple ......look at the comments ..... Does not work even on its local connection

But please answer the question .... How are you going to remote view

Not sure why the replies require the OP to answer what camera he's using. It doesn't matter what camera he's using does it? He can solve his own camera problems. All he's asking is how to keep camera domes clean. He could put a gopro or an iphone or a 360 camera in a camera dome in order to keep it water-sealed but still want to keep the dome clean of dust and dirt. Why the hell does camera specs matter? I don't have an answer but I thought the question was rather simple. If the size was the issue then people could have just asked, or else I thought accessibility would have been a bigger consideration. Haven't seen one helpful reply.

Another thought is use a glass or uv resistant dome if possible. Plastic domes exposed to the sun/elements will yellow or cloud as they age.

An automotive windshield protectant is the only thing I could think of to help it stay clean.

Not sure why the replies require the OP to answer what camera he's using. It doesn't matter what camera he's using does it? He can solve his own camera problems. All he's asking is how to keep camera domes clean. He could put a gopro or an iphone or a 360 camera in a camera dome in order to keep it water-sealed but still want to keep the dome clean of dust and dirt. Why the hell does camera specs matter? I don't have an answer but I thought the question was rather simple. If the size was the issue then people could have just asked, or else I thought accessibility would have been a bigger consideration. Haven't seen one helpful reply.

Read the spec ....... And tell me why your the same IP address ???

Post was to keep dome clean ..... Info posted was camera ..... No dome ......

So looked at your camera spec ....... For monitoring .........yes different subject but the camera has no monitoring ...... So dome for a twin lens camera is also pointless ...... It's battery operated needs charging via USB

You don't need to workout ...... Not having to fly for 6 hours to service it ......... By the time it's setup and you drive to airport it will be flat .......... Now to dome cover look back on forum at making domes ........you will see we made domes and in gold or smoke and I know just buying a dome from eBay will not work.

Putting a dome on is like putting glasses on your eyes ....... Some good dome cameras used to show arrow marks to line up dome if you never lined up the marks the image was crap

Adding a dome that is not made for the lens will be like putting glasses on when you don't need glasses

Your installing cameras in Australia with a dome what about heat ........ Look at camera spec ...... Over heat will switch it off ........ Then you have the sun glare problem as with most dome cameras ..... You can use a smoke dome to stop that but then night image is useless

So I'm still asking the question on how op can monitor the camera how op can fit a dome to a twin camera

Another thought is use a glass or uv resistant dome if possible. Plastic domes exposed to the sun/elements will yellow or cloud as they age.

An automotive windshield protectant is the only thing I could think of to help it stay clean.

Ah yeah. Fair point I hadn’t thought of. Thanks for that advice.

I would suggest getting a car wax product and applying it to the dome. It will help a lot with dust and water and might even help with the bird droppings. Usually you should only have to re-apply it every few months. I've only ever used it on my car windshield to avoid using my windshield wipers, works like a charm and rain just beads off. I would imagine that on a stationary camera it would last a lot longer.

I would suggest getting a car wax product and applying it to the dome. It will help a lot with dust and water and might even help with the bird droppings. Usually you should only have to re-apply it every few months. I've only ever used it on my car windshield to avoid using my windshield wipers, works like a charm and rain just beads off. I would imagine that on a stationary camera it would last a lot longer.

Thanks for that suggestion, ShaneR. I have seen and experimented with sprays that are meant to do this sort of thing, but didn't have any success. (They were sprays designed for e.g. glass shower screens)

I have never seen this idea in a wax before, though. Do you have any particular brand/product in mind please?

Thanks again for your help.

What I use is called FW1, no special reason, it's just what I bought and it's convenient being spray on. But here's a video comparing a bunch of waxes

it looks like ceramic might be a good route for longevity. Another option if cost isn't a factor is a fixed wiper blade system that some cameras use. http://xstreamdesigns.com/features/self-cleaning/ it might be a pretty simple item to make yourself if you are engineerically inclined. If you are interested I can always draft up some 3d models on how I would do it.

What I use is called FW1, no special reason, it's just what I bought and it's convenient being spray on. But here's a video comparing a bunch of waxes
it looks like ceramic might be a good route for longevity. Another option if cost isn't a factor is a fixed wiper blade system that some cameras use. http://xstreamdesigns.com/features/self-cleaning/ it might be a pretty simple item to make yourself if you are engineerically inclined. If you are interested I can always draft up some 3d models on how I would do it.

Thanks so much for that information. I've looked at the FW1 website and it looks impressive. I'll definitely give that a go. It looks better than the other sprays I have tested previously.

I should be able to rig up some sort of automatic sprayer so that it can be sprayed every six weeks or so.

And then I just need a wiper/brush of some sort, as you mention. If you don't mind, could you please create that 3D model of the brush? I'm learning everything as I go (including 3D designing) so I'd appreciate being able to see what you would do and learning from it.

Thanks in advance and thanks again for your help.

David

No problem, I'll try to mock something up tonight or tomorrow. My idea would be essentially something that fits over the whole camera, rather than trying to mess with the cameras dome. I'll keep you posted. What are the general dimensions of the camera you want to use?

No problem, I'll try to mock something up tonight or tomorrow. My idea would be essentially something that fits over the whole camera, rather than trying to mess with the cameras dome. I'll keep you posted. What are the general dimensions of the camera you want to use?

The camera measures is 45.2 mm wide x 130.6 mm high x 22.9 mm deep (or 17.9 mm if you exclude the camera lenses, which jut out from the camera body slightly).

Thanks again for your help.

so this is my basic design, really just how I would do it if I had the need. I based it off of using this dome https://plastic-domes-spheres.com/shop/12-clear-acrylic-hemisphere in theory it would have a control board that would tell the 4 stepper motors to spin, the motors have a rubber grommet which rides against the bottom of the dome flange. the retention ring has ball bearings to reduce binding and allow for a secure fit. the base assembly has a taper to allow rain water to drain away from the camera. in between the dual wiper blades is a sprayer, could be done way simpler but I liked how sleek this looked personally.

however in designing this its come to my attention that it wont be a very cost effective solution due to the cost in materials. plus a issue that you will have placing the camera in any kind of enclosure will be condensation building on the inside of the dome. this is usually offset by the manufacturer putting heaters inside the housing so you will have to look at that option as well. the only way I can think of to make a relatively cheap housing would be to use a tube similar to this https://www.webstaurantstore.com/san-jamar-l360c-stainless-steel-large-in-counter-trash-chute/712L360C.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwta49Mau2gIVSeDICh2jsQlWEAQYBSABEgIbpfD_BwE and place either flat 6" or a dome of acrylic or other material. building a device to wipe the flat lens would be pretty simple, but I think if you tried to add a wiper to the 6" dome it would obstruct the view too much due to the more narrow dome. just some thoughts as I was working. if you want any other views or want dimensions I can provide them.

1978098112_CameraDome.png.57118246be5c8187d8797abf78d5e640.png

Cutaway.thumb.png.347488d265d224b2e69ad778fe6b1dc8.png

Sprayer.png.fefa1782f83f3489b6b4c5958fad1b29.png

Cutaway.png[/attachment]

Ah, I see you've put the entire dome on rollers, rather than having the wiper move around the dome. Clever idea.

Thanks heaps for doing those detailed designs for me. I really appreciate your efforts. I think this is certainly something I should be able to build.

The issue of condensation within the dome is largely resolved, actually. The computer hardware that will be inside the dome to control the camera, wiper, sensors, etc., will give off quite a bit of heat, certainly enough most of the time. I also have small heating wires that I can turn on and off as needed. The bigger issue is heat dissipation during summer... but that's another matter.

Interesting idea to use that steel bucket thing you linked to. I was actually planning on 3D printing most of the enclosure, but I'll try and see if I can adapt what I've already got to fit something like that, as it will be a lot cheaper, as you say.

Regarding the obstruction caused by the wiper... I think I may put the blade on a retractable arm. That way a) it's out of the way for the camera, and b) I can retract it into some protected housing so it doesn't deteriorate as fast as if I left it out in the open.

Anyway, the first thing for me to test out will be that FW1 wax. I'll be setting up a camera in a few weeks that'll test that out. At least I'll have something being tested while I build the wiper system.

Thanks again for all your help. I truly appreciate it.

Never a problem, have any questions or any design ideas you want me to try just let me know. I hope that the FW1 works for your needs as it would be immensely cheaper lol. And yeah, I was thinking of trying to have the wiper move but it would be too expensive or too flimsy to get it reliable. This is design 2 actually, the first design had the dome flange angle down at a 45 to help rain runoff, it also had top and bottom bearings for a more solid fit against the wiper with the motors vertical running on the inside of the dome itself. Would put less strain on the motors and you could probably get away with just 2 motors. But realizing after getting it mostly designed that almost every part would be custom I tried to find a dome that was somewhat cheap and would fit the bill. So I just picked that one and designed around it. After finishing that one I figured what's the cheapest I could think to make it. The tube was an obvious choice, and keeping the wiper hidden is actually a great idea.

Pardon the drop in 3d quality sadly while at work I don't have access to my cad program. It probably won't make much sense but basically a wiper with a motor that transfers rotational motion to linear motion. Not drawn but some kind of track system to keep the wiper in line as well as maybe when it's in the far retracted position to lift it off of the glass. I imagine that you could build this with just a box and have it work the same way. Of course you could also just use a standard car wiper system of back and forth. Just providing options and ideas

1815850273_Webp.net-compress-image(3).thumb.jpg.f705a1b091b3a653f4bb73a24f011a6d.jpg

Interesting ideas. I like the track idea for aligning the wiper!

I'll have to test all this, of course. I'll let you know how I go. May be a few months though.

Thanks again for all your help, sketches, and advice.