JohnSmith1952

Thread watched Hikvision/VMS LPR Setup

Hi,

Firstly, if I have not posted this to the most relevant forum can it please be moved.

I am hoping to get some ideas and recommendations for the following -

I am currently involved with a rollout of approx 50 cameras back to a large central system (300+ in operation). All new cameras at this stage will be Hik. The current system uses typical run of the mill Hik/Dahua cameras etc recording to multiple HIK NVRs. LPR is currently not used anywhere, the cameras are just for security surveillance.

The plan is to have LPR recording and functionality set up for a about 10 of these 50 new cameras. The features required will be to log all plates, be able to filter through recorded footage by number plates, and ideally have a "black list" that can alert someone if a black listed plate is picked up. IVMS is currently being used by users of the system.

I have experience with simple camera systems, but unfortunately have never used LPR cameras. I have having trouble coming up with the best and most cost effective way of doing this as I have heard some conflicting information -

To have the number plate features I am interested in, do I need to buy one of the more "upmarket" Blazer NVRs to unlock these features, or can I just buy the Hik LPR camera only and these features will become available when using IVMS? (recording to the standard NVRs)

Now to complicate it somewhat more, a VMS solution may be implemented during the next 12 months (milestone, genetec etc). I believe these systems can perfrom LPR themselves (or with a 3rd party analytic plugin/licence). If anyone has some experience I have further questions on this solution -

Is the software/VMS (server side analytics) way of doing this superior to having the camera (edge analytics) do it?

Am I correct in saying that if I did get the LPR camera, VMS's can actually retrieve this meta data without paying for the analytic plugin?

One of my thoughts is if the VMS does this well, why bother paying $100s and $100s more for a 2mp camera while I could spend a lot less and get a 6 or 8mp and then get the VMS to do it?

If I am way off the mark here can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

John

I have the same question.

LPR enabled IP cameras could be much more expensive than regular cameras.

We could have much wider selection, in case we could go for regular cameras.

Highly performing LPR algorithms can run on a PC or server for many numbers of cameras.

Which one we can save more money in total system cost???

Any one can give the answer???

Highly performing LPR algorithms can run on a PC or server for many numbers of cameras.

That's easy to answer ...... IP is cheaper and more reliable and upgradable and cost less to install.

Analog would just be a waste of money and like you have said PC or server is also needed which is we're the cost is

That's easy to answer ...... IP is cheaper and more reliable and upgradable and cost less to install.

Analog would just be a waste of money and like you have said PC or server is also needed which is we're the cost is

I meant regular cameras to be analog HD (TVI,CVI,AHD), HD-SDI, EX-SDI, conventional analog cameras, and IP cameras, all of which do not carry LPR functions themself. LPR is supposed to be done by PC or server for multiple cameras. If VMS is employed, PC must be there for system integration.

I meant regular cameras to be analog HD (TVI,CVI,AHD), HD-SDI, EX-SDI, conventional analog cameras, and IP cameras, all of which do not carry LPR functions themself. LPR is supposed to be done by PC or server for multiple cameras. If VMS is employed, PC must be there for system integration.

So your talking about using standard hd or ip cameras and connecting to a LPR software?

That is not a LPR camera ... you can’t go and buy a cheap $20 Jonny washable camera from eBay and call it LPR.

But that’s all old school ip LPR are all in one now no pc needed

another post where sunnykim has no clue...stop posting misinformation. Please, for the love of god you china scammer.