Sign in to follow this  
Hangtime

Underground cabling 250' RG6? in conduit

Greetings from central NC.

I have trenched my front yard for water bibs and 110'v ac to several spots.

I want lay in some video cable for yet to purchase surveillance system. I need to get my yard closed up but since the trench is dug 24" I have ample room at 6" below grade to go ahead now and lay in video cable. The run is 250' between camera and house. Is RG6 in conduit a good choice.

I've installed four in retail store simple 6 camera systems(Revo) but nothing this distance underground or coax type cable. Revo used something like phone/cat5? with push in jacks. Also no nothing about transition from coax to camera or from coax to dvr.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks Eric

you could run CAT5E gel filled and use baluns that way if you ever want to switch to IP you could. I would run multiple cables as you may want to run a network or some other devices. If you choose to run coax use the filled type as any water gets into standard coax it will wick into the braid and ruin the cable.

I'm thinking of just a camera with maybe audio(listening). It would be nice if camera would pan The position will be near the street/mailbox driveway entrance. What are baluns? edit how do baluns work in relation to cat5 or coax, thanks