kenusa

correct security camera placement

Hi,

I have a Lorex system with 4k motorized varifocal hd ip bullet security camera. LNB8973

Could someone please vet my Mount Locations for usage as a security camera. I was told that the camera has the function to mark 'events' when intrusion is detected via the mask in effect. I had thought the NVR did that function and am surprised there is enough cpu in the camera to do that.

In general three of four cameras are now mounted about second floor ceiling height. One is a little lower. They sweep the front, side, back yards etc.

The mounting location provides some protection, though not completely from the elements. I read the manual and could not find any limitation as far as placement but there was a recommendation to mount out of reach and with some protection from elements if possible. Done!

Would this placement make it difficult to detect an intruder from the aspect of the cameras themselves not functioning correctly? In other words placed too high?

Mounting higher than 8 feet or so may hamper getting a good facial shot if they are wearing a hat.

I am not really concerned about facial for this application but just for “event” notification. So is the placement acceptable. I am a complete novice in this area and would think so but want to defer to the experts before going any further with this question. Thanks.

I am surprised no one who has seen this question has an opinion let alone some expertise to provide some advise. This is not a trick question. I am having a legitimate problem with a lorex system and need to start at the beginning. Any help would be appreciated.

There's a lot of reasons people do what they do that we aren't privy to so don't judge the people you're asking to help you too harshly.

But if you are considering outdoor camera notificaTions be aware that it is extremely hard to minimize false alarms from outdoor cameras that depend solely on video stream analytics as most cameras do. When I hear someone say "I don't need higher res because I'll be getting notifications" I tell them that in my experience most end users enjoy viewing their alerts for a very short time. You can only view so many alerts that turn out to be cats, windy day tree shadows, delivery people, meter readers, spiders and bees crawling across the lens and fog or mist blowing by before they realize that intrusions are very, very rare and it takes a very dedicated person to view 3 or more false arms a day while they're trying to work for 2 years before the actual breach occurs. And the ironic thing is in in order to do its job the video motion detection cameras HAVE to report these events to you because they are major events in view of the system and it can't take a chance of NOT notifying you (that bee looks like a bus up close or that may be some smart criminal DISGUISED as a cat ). I think if you want to minimize false alerts you need passive infrared on the cameras (or if you have a high budget flir/lorex thermal cameras) or stand alone passive sensors along with ALL IMPORTANT door and windows sensors and glass break sensors. These are more appropriate for intrusion detection and notification situations.

One of the most effective uses of security video that most end user don't have a clear understanding of is evidence for Police and courts. This requires the right resolution lenses and placement to be effective. I think the recommended resolution of the captured image is 700tvl for the face height to be admissible in court. If you have a 1080p cam that is like half the frame. The way to do this with normal resolution cameras is putting them in a hidden location where the perpetrator will pass within view. or higher res cameras with more powerful lenses to capture high res imges at a distance. Then when your glass break sensor alerts you the alarm scares them off or the cops catch them when you call them and you have ironclad video evidence to CONVICT.

And just sayin, not being a dick might be a better approach next time.

Still haven’t answered the question! So let’s just be honest You dick. Or not. I just may end up with a small claims judgement.

Hi. Hight limitations used to be a problem with old D1 res cameras.

And got a little better with 1080p.

Hight of the camera took away its viewing distance. This is not the case now with 4K as you have more detail at distance.

I.E. Camera 8ft high and a person under it you only get top of head shot with old D1 you would not even get a face shot if person was 20ft from camera....... But with 4K a persons face can be detected over 40ft away ......

Mask area sends digital signal to recorder .....it would show up as sensor trigger in playback.

Lorex manuals don't explain much ......so you are better looking as the dahua specs as your camera is 100% dahua

• Like 1

Tom I really don’t care about resolution and facial shots as I think I already said. I can deal with that later with additional cameras. The cameras I have now though, have, in my opinion, good resolution.

I just want a basic perimeter system. Like you see on tv

Now the cameras have good resolution, but they just do not work as far as marking an ‘event’. My son can walk around a certain point in the yard and no event. If he runs around the certain point then there is an event. Same for cars coming up the driveway. And it doesn’t matter what the threshold and sensitivity are set for. Lorex has looked at this many times. These cameras are ALL defective in this way. The. Only reason I am replying now is I don’t want to be rude and a dick.

These cameras are ALL defective in this way.

There are a lot of forums and only you seem to have the problem.

But now you have explained a bit more about your problem people can start to work it out.

Which NVR are you using ?

Who installed the hard drive

What is your pre and post set at.

On your schedule what alerts have you set.

On your playback screen what colours show in time line.

• Like 1

I just may end up with a small claims judgement.

Against whom? And for what?

If by some chance you're referring to this forum, you're barking up the wrong tree. The people on this forum are here voluntarily. Nobody gets any remuneration for answering questions here and helping people out. Nobody here is obligated to you for anything. IANAL, nor do I play one on TV, but my guess is participation here is protected under common "good Samaritan" law.

If you mean this web site, itself, think again: Online Forums, Chat Rooms and Hosted Content: Risks and Liabilities

If you mean the manufacturer or seller of the surveillance system you bought: Whatever blows your skirts up. Good luck collecting.

Think I touched a nerve. And you mean kilts, not skirts. If you are not part of the solution.........!

Think I touched a nerve. And you mean kilts, not skirts. If you are not part of the solution.........!

Your problem is easy sorted out ...... But you can't answer simple questions ...

You log on to complain but not sort your problems

By the way, your criticism is so unfair. I posted an extremely simple question originally. In retrospect, I suppose it was too simple.

What I get is that there in nothing wrong with what Lorex sells. Well I contest that concept based on the facts of my experience.

I think you are missing the big picture. Walking out to a point in my yard does not trigger an event. However brisk movement as in running does. All settings being the same. Lorex has looked at this numerous times and sensitivity and threshold settings have been changed multiple times to no advantage.

There always has to be a first to experience a problem. I did not know for quite a while that this Lorex system had a problem until I came home to review an event that I knew had happened but was very difficult to find since no event was marked. Many people would never know there was a problem unless they looked for it as I did. So to me these cameras and system and Lorex support have resulted in a complete loss of the intended security and expense and countless time on the phone with Lorex. That is why I mentioned a small claims judgement would be welcomed. If not resolved very soon I hope for this to happen.

NVR = NR908-N

Lorex installed drive

POSTREC = 10

Did not find pre. Latch = 10

Period = 0-24 all days are set

Green and yellow

By the way, your criticism is so unfair. I posted an extremely simple question originally. In retrospect, I suppose it was too simple.

Nothing you type is simple..... It took you 4 posts before anyone could work out its a motion alert problem you have. And there is nothing about that in your first post.

NVR = NR908-N

Is this the 2k or 4K unit ?

Green and yellow is 24hr record with motion. Set alarm for area detection which is red.

What I get is that there in nothing wrong with what Lorex sells. Well I contest that concept based on the facts of my experience.

Well just with the info you have provided there is no point you contesting it because your settings are wrong.

a small claims judgement would be welcomed.

I think you reading the manual again would be better.

Would be much better than you losing a court case and a lot of money.

I would switch off motion detect (yellow) and go to each camera setting and set motion up as alarm...... You must set detection on each camera to 10 or above to work and in playback you will have green for 24 and red for each camera alert.

You have not mentioned anything about target range with any of your cameras. Distance to target.

Have you loaded smart PSS to alter settings ?

Tom,

You are really cute. All fluff and no substance. Done dealing with this site. Too bad you really are incapable of solving this problem, as well as the Lorex techs. How much do they pay you? Your off the wall comments are laughable.

Tom,

You are really cute. All fluff and no substance. Done dealing with this site. Too bad you really are incapable of solving this problem, as well as the Lorex techs. How much do they pay you? Your off the wall comments are laughable.

See all you want to do is *** your like a woman.

Did you try the setting a surgested or is it too easy for you.

Trust me I get no payment from lorex I don’t need it.

But since you can’t answer simple questions to be able to teach you how to work your system

Looks like your only option now is to take lorex to court (your words)

Good luck with that when there defence will be your own posted thread..... you don’t listen

I bet your one of these people who has lots of lawsuits a year over the most stupid things just to make money.

• Like 1

Tom, it's clear you were wasting your time with this one from the start. He already knows everything there is to know about everything. Just ask him, he'll tell you so

• Like 1

Tom, it's clear you were wasting your time with this one from the start. He already knows everything there is to know about everything. Just ask him, he'll tell you so

Be careful you might see a lawsuit coming your way

• Haha 1

Be careful you might see a lawsuit coming your way

hide.gif

On 12/6/2018 at 7:06 PM, kenusa said:

Tom,

Oh, EVERYBODY ELSE can't solve you're problem. I think it's time for you to grow up. Threatening lawsuits because you can't figure out your IP cam system. You have a serious attitude problem. Talking like an idiot and asking for help. "Too bad you really are incapable of solving this problem". We all figured it out. OUR systems work. Grow up

BABY.jpg