cailun

Auto-iris or NOT for outdoor installed camera

It's great to find this forum for sharing.

I've been confused for a while. Camera manufacturers always said that it requires auto-iris camera for outdoor installation as the intensity of light changing all the time. No fixed lens is working.

However, in my experience, I don't find big difference between using auto-iris and non-auto lens for outdoor camera. The fixed can just produce suitable image.

How's that actually? Do you have any experience for share?

Dove

I dont know how sunny it gets in Hong Kong , but it does make a difference here. That said, it doesnt always make a difference, in other words, it really depends on the camera and lens being used; if its a cheap lens or camera then it wont normally make a difference.

Rory

cailun,

It is a question really related to the application.

If you were watching a small area, with reasonable lighting at night, then a camera fitted with a manual iris lens (stopped down a couple of stops), and with the Electronic Iris switched on, would almost certainly outperform the same camera fitted with an Auto Iris lens, working under identical conditions.

By closing the iris a couple of stops, it allows the camera to operate in the brightest of daylight conditions (maximum shutter speed), or under night lit conditions (minimum shutter speed).

Where a camera is required to produce an image from very low light through to intense sunlit conditions, then Auto Iris would be the preferred option.