G1zm0

Newbie from UK looking for advise

Hi im looking for advise as I keep putting off installing CCTV due to going round and round in circles not really knowing (or 100% understanding) what would suit my needs best

I’m looking for a 4 outdoor and 1 indoor camera system, the outdoor cameras need a range of approx 20M, 2 are well lit at night, the other 2 are poorly lit.

The best quality image (day and night)

Must be able to viewed on an iPhone & iMac (ideally with no monthly fees for iPhone viewing)

Price of around £1,000 (DIY install)

I was all set for ordering from CCTV42 as their website seems very knowledgeable (but maybe not cutting edge?) Henry recommended the following:

HD 1080P TVI Hybrid DVR 8 Channel £199.95

AV Grade 3TB Hard Drive £109.95

3 x Large open dome 2.8-12mm lens HD 1080p (2.1MP) £99.95(each)

1x B6 2.8-12mm Lens High Definition 1080p (2.1MP) £99.95

Small Open Dome 3.6mm Lens HD 1080p (2.1MP) £64.95 (this one would be for inside a 4m x 4m workshop pointing towards the door)

4 Camera 5A Power Supply £18.95

Single Camera 1A Power Supply £5.95 (workshop)

5x Video Balun with Flylead (pair) for use with CAT5e Cable High Definition 1080p £19.75

5x DC Power Plug £4.95

5x DC Power Socket £4.95

4x Weatherproof Box for External Cable Connections £13.96

CAT5e Outdoor Cable 100m Roll £39.95

Henry suggested the 2.8-12mm lenses so you can zoom and focus on the area that is important rather then use a 2.8 wide angle lens which whilst covering a greater area would lose clarity.

This all seemed OK, until I read that the cameras they use maybe questionable quality for the price (they are all rebranded CCTV42).

So my dilemma is what system would you recommend (for around £1K) IP or TVI and what manufacturer.

Am I better going for the biggest NVR / DVR HDD (6TB)? my thinking is to be big enough to cover for when we are on holiday (up to 16 days).

Finally what is the optimum installation height of the outdoor cameras? I assume the soffits on a normal 2 story house is too high (but would be the easiest installation)

TIA

Hi. If your paying more than £25 for a tvi camera in the uk then walk away from the quote.

Also if it is a new install you will also save a lot of money going IP

Look at your quote...... Your paying for baluns ...... Power supplies .... DC plugs ..... Junction boxes all of which you don't need with a IP system..... IP install is also faster and cleaner.

Tvi that Henry has quoted is only 2mp with your budget your looking at going 5mp as standard.

There is no charge for most device monitoring like your iPhone or pad.

But if you are looking for Mac us make shure the recorder is compatable before you waste your money.

£1000 for 5 tvi 2mp system is a lot

6 X 5mp with 8 channel Poe Nvr is well under your budget.

Thanks Tom, I was hoping you would be one of the people who replied

Yes this would be for a new install, I initially discounted IP as I (wrongly) thought there would be no HDD and it would all be cloud stored, I’m glad I dug a little deeper!.

I was a little concerned that the 2.1MP cameras would not cut it compared to others on the market.

Are there any manufacturers you would recommend? ideally ones you have seen actual recorded footage.

Finally what are your thoughts on the reasons Henry recommended the 2.8-12mm Lens, it seems a good call but obviously comes with higher cameras costs.

Thanks Tom, I was hoping you would be one of the people who replied

Yes this would be for a new install, I initially discounted IP as I (wrongly) thought there would be no HDD and it would all be cloud stored, I’m glad I dug a little deeper!.

I was a little concerned that the 2.1MP cameras would not cut it compared to others on the market.

Are there any manufacturers you would recommend? ideally ones you have seen actual recorded footage.

Finally what are your thoughts on the reasons Henry recommended the 2.8-12mm Lens, it seems a good call but obviously comes with higher cameras costs.

Hi. His tvi are budget hikvision .......so if you need to check if you had a good price just google tvi systems and you can save £600.

Me and Henry do not get on .......he is 6 years in the industry I am 36 years .

IP works exactly the same as any system .......cameras feed data to a hard drive and its that simple ...... Cloud is available for most platforms .........but you will find an extra charge ......but it's only needed with IP cameras if you don't have a hard drive recorder of PC

With your budget I would go with the latest tech and not 3 year old tvi.

I will pm you a better manufacture in the uk.

Hi. I have just checked that sells website ....... And I have never read so much crap in my life ...... I can see why he wants to sell you tvi over IP ...... The guy has no clue and has no right to print crap on something he does not understand.

IP CCTV

IP CCTV uses your network which in a home or small business will be based around your internet router to constantly stream images from the cameras to an NVR or network video recorder. Each individual camera is assigned an internal IP address on the network as is the NVR. Power for the cameras is fed into the network by a power injector, this is known as power over ethernet or PoE. There may be a number of network connectors or switches and possibly a separate network storage device which holds all the footage.

Totally the wrong advice. We're did the guy get this crap from

Power injector is known as POE

IP network is not based around your home or business router at all. Infact you don't need Internet for IP cameras or NVR.

One appeal of IP systems is the ability to integrate wireless cameras but there are some things to keep in mind. UK law dictates that the carrier strength must be very low and HD video is a complex signal

WOW more crap. You can make any camera wireless Infact with IP its best called wifi. Not wireless.

There is one other thing to consider with IP CCTV systems and that is data protection compliance. As a result of potentially huge fines GPDR rules

Was this guys last job at McDonald's or something .... More crap

There are no differances either analog or IP the rules are the same.

An IP CCTV system ends up being quite complex with several components having to talk to each other. The cameras will use a protocol which must be recognised by the NVR and the NVR needs to talk to the network as well as anything connected to it such as the data storage device, your computer, tablet, phone and so on. If there is a failure within the network then the CCTV won’t work. Fault diagnosis can be tricky if you aren’t an IT god and remote support is extremely difficult.

There are less components with using Poe camera and Poe NVR for IP ..... 1 rj45 plug at each end .......and again you don't need Internet at all

I am glad you have desided to do your homework before you buy.

Don't listen to a company that does not sell IP systems just because he does not have the basic knowledge of CCTV

Thanks and for the PM.

I now at least know pretty much what I am looking for (just need to confirm if I want / need the 2.8-12mm lens or not)

It will certainly be an IP system though.

Thanks and for the PM.

I now at least know pretty much what I am looking for (just need to confirm if I want / need the 2.8-12mm lens or not)

It will certainly be an IP system though.

Hi. You only need to look at cameras with varifocal lens which is what 2.8-12mm means

Hello you can use a motorized camera available today online, you can purchase from Hikvision they have good pricing on professional security cameras.

Also their cameras has a cloud services which work really good and is free for life.

Jason P.