Sign in to follow this  
Hermes14

How safe are wireless ip networks.

Hi Guys

It has been a while since I have been on the forum & I am also very rusty when it comes to cctv systems.

Due to the crime rate in our area, our community have decided to install cctv cameras.

The advice they have received is to install a solar powered wireless networks system.

The question I have is how safe are wireless systems these days?

I know previously there were problems with wireless systems being hacked.

Is it possible to encrypt the signal so that a hacker can’t hack into the system or jam the signal?

The other option I am trying to research is rather than connecting to the internet, create a closed circuit intranet newtwork with no access to the internet.

The real problem with wireless is possible interference from wireless gadgets, and other wireless cameras. They may let you down at the wrong time. One wireless camera may be fine, but the more cameras you add will cause problems.

Somebody has something to sell the community. Problems as 51cent has described. solar powered and batteries who maintains that? If you can get a wire to a camera you are probably better off. Are you planning to cover your home or the street?

Personally I would never install a wireless camera in my home.

I want my security system to be totally off the grid.

The residents in our suburb have decided to start installing cameras in our neighborhood.

I suggested laying cat6 but was out voted.

Them main problem is getting the correct documentation approved to install cameras on the streets.

The first phase will be obout 16 cameras at the main key points but eventually they want cameras installed on every street which will be well over 50 cameras.

If we do go the cable route I will suggest core drilling under the roads, insert a casing & lay the cables in the casing.

The only problem is getting the approval to install the cameras.

The advantage of the wireless system is that we can install the cameras inside the property borders, that way we don't have to worry about all the documentation.

One of the residents has offered to do the work. his prices are fairly reasonable & he is willing to give us a 5 year guarantee on his work & all the equipment including the batteries.

Hi. First you need a CCTV company to help and give advice before you start anything.

The only problem is getting the approval to install the cameras.

Also what about the data collection side of the system.

Who or were will the recorder be ....who will be licenced ( public space systems ) have strict regulations and also the state you are in.

The advantage of the wireless system is that we can install the cameras inside the property borders

If you can install the camera inside property borders then why waste $25k on solar. Just power cameras from each property and also use there home network for the camera to go to the main recorder.

Apart from watching the street ....what about the homes protection

we did a small city camera system a few years ago 5 cameras. It was expensive. If you have a budget double it. Also plan on a large maint budget. Once you start working with units of government, power companies, local and state laws things get complicated. You might be better off hiring some more policeman that spending money on a complicated camera system.

First you need a CCTV company to help and give advice before you start anything.

The guy that has offered to install the system is the owner of his company.

He has given us valuable information but his main objective is to sell his product therefore I need to do my own research before our next meeting.

The system he wants to install will have internet access & only designated residents will have access to viewing the footage.

I don’t like the idea of a security system being connected to the internet for obvious reasons therefore I would like to try & create a closed circuit Intranet network where you will have to be in the area to have access to the footage.

I have noticed that criminals usually try & change as much of their clothing as possible prior to a break-in therefore facial recognition & number place recognition is of importance.

When I was working cash in transit (which is a long time ago), organised syndicates used to use signal jammers to block comms between the vehicle & the control room.

I don’t know if this is still possible.

This is one of the reasons why I don’t like a wireless system.

Can a wireless signal be encrypted in such a way that it cannot be jammed or hacked into?

If you can install the camera inside property borders then why waste $25k on solar. Just power cameras from each property and also use there home network for the camera to go to the main recorder.

The company that supplies our electricity is unreliable.

Apart from the power tripping a lot when it rains, if people start using too much electricity ( e.g. in winter when people start using heaters or on very hot days when a lot of air conditioners are running) they load shed at a moments notice.

In the last strike Eskom employees had, the employees actually sabotaged substations.

Statistics have show that criminals take advantage of these times.

You might be better off hiring some more policeman that spending money on a complicated camera system.

We do have an armed reaction company working in this area & I have worked in the security industry for over 20 years.

We definitely need a cctv system installed.