Sign in to follow this  
Ronniezrzr

How to choose a security camera system for your house?

OK, before I have two little cats, I have never imagined being here to discuss what security system is perfect for my house.

I was looking for a wifi IP camera first. I followed firepower and messaged him. That's a surprise that he replied me and give me some suggestions. Thank him so much.

Then, I googled some brands and security cam solutions. I was looking for wifi IP camera because it's easy to setup and seems enough for me, just monitor two cats in the living room.

Finally I decided to monitor the whole house for a better security solution. Wifi IP camera is not good for outdoors' monitor. It loses connection sometimes. You know I still wanna it to be simple to setup. I don't wanna spend too much money on it. I prefer DIY.

I contacted several brands' support asking for advice. Only got one response. They offered one Poe security cam system with 8 cameras.  But I think it's a little bit expensive to me even though I think the product is good.

I was thinking how about just 4 cameras for this system. Poe cable is perfect. I don't need to ask for a professional team to install it. But how about 2 wifi IP cameras and 1 wired poe camera for indoors and other 3 wired poe camera for outdoors?

Firepower has given you bad advice 

your own posts don’t even make sense..... looking for 4 cam system and you post 8 cam system then you post the same junk as firepower has been posting 

51 cent gave you the best option for your needs with the dahua and hikvision cube cameras. 

Also the best selling cube camera is axis .

all the axis dahua hik cube camera can be local wired to your router or WiFi option 

dont buy junk from geek 

12 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Firepower has given you bad advice 

your own posts don’t even make sense..... looking for 4 cam system and you post 8 cam system then you post the same junk as firepower has been posting 

51 cent gave you the best option for your needs with the dahua and hikvision cube cameras. 

Also the best selling cube camera is axis .

all the axis dahua hik cube camera can be local wired to your router or WiFi option 

dont buy junk from geek 

Thank you for your advice. I barely know security camera. I just googled some brands and contacted these companies. 

The "cheap junk" IP cameras work just fine if you get the right ones.   Some people just do not lower themselves and try cheap IP cameras.  It is not high security system but everyone have there needs and budget and good for checking cats at home. 

I have had the IP Cameras for years in conjunction with a DVR system and they have greatly improved in very recent times.  So the three I am currently using can access the recorded video on the SD card (I am not interested in cloud service) from anywhere in the world, the video in the day is clear and in the night it is the same but black and white.  I understand the problems with IP Cameras about people listening in and there is plenty of videos on youtube about that.

So if the cheap ones ARE WORKING PERFECTLY to my standards why would you buy expensive ones.

In regard to my DVR home security system the experts here would say do not buy cheap DVR junk system.  I just got a $62 1080N DVR, used the 2TB hard drive from my old system with $25 1080P AHD cameras.  I should not mention this system here and it would be called "cheap" junk  The sharpness of the video is acceptable to what I want to pay.  The 4mp cameras rather than 2mp would be great but I can not justify the extra expense.

The only reason I got this system it is easy to get the eight cameras on my IPhone and the video at night is much better.

So if this DVR system is also working perfectly to my needs why not buy "cheap junk".

Some people here would have a security business and do not like the cheap stuff being mentioned but if you like fiddling just to set it up like going to umart.com.au and buying a proper security hard drive etc then it can be done cheaply.  I realise this DVR system is not a high resolution professional system but some people do not need that.

That's all and I will not comment further.

Edited by Firepower

4 hours ago, Firepower said:

I understand the problems with IP Cameras about people listening in and there is plenty of videos on youtube about that.

So if the cheap ones ARE WORKING PERFECTLY to my standards why would you buy expensive ones.

Usually junk is cheap...... but it’s taken a few years and brand name ip have become a lot cheaper. 3mp starting around $50

so why buy junk ..... why (like you stated) be watched and listened too in and around your own home. ......installing a camera that disables your firewall to allow others into your network cameras or pc collecting your data 

you might not be bothered about it but I can guarantee over 90% would be  

But unfortunately there will be people looking at installing there own systems not knowing the security problems when buying junk. 

You can see over the years .....I will push new DIYs on the forum to install there own systems. But I will surgest not using no name junk and in most cases it’s only adding a extra few $ to buy brand name and have something with long warranty years of use and integrate with other equipment