Hoolie

How do I choose ?

We would like a cctv system but haven’t a clue what to look for.  We live in a two bed semi bungalow. Because of our age and disability the children would like to be able to check on us :-))). Baby monitor in reverse haha 

222CB160-BE7A-4535-A0DF-B8831F927256.png

If I was quoted a 4k system I expect to get one ..... 4k recorder with 4mp camera does not make 4k.

line cross and the likes is not something you would need. 

£800 is a lot of money for a 4way in a bungalow and also because you are installing for family to keep a eye on you I would also have installed audio at your front door..... uk is full of bogus callers the last few months 

can a member of your family fit it for you.... ip is plug and play 

also please stay away from hikvision it is not suitable for your needs

Oh my days - thank you! This is why I asked the question. My boys are old so not very good with gadgets like their mother :-)). But I have a grandson who’s very efficient. The boys just thought we should have a professional 

the other big thing is knowing what to buy. It’s a mine field xx

5 hours ago, tomcctv said:

£800 is a lot of money for a 4way in a bungalow and also because you are installing for family to keep a eye on you I would also have installed audio at your front door..... uk is full of bogus callers the last few months 

can a member of your family fit it for you.... ip is plug and play 

also please stay away from hikvision it is not suitable for your needs

I can't speak to the Hikvision or audio questions, but I do question the cost opinion and family member suggestion.

I'll have £550 invested in just four 2MP starlight cameras, Ethernet cable (500 ft.), and a PoE network switch.  Add another £236 for my NAS and we're up to £786, right there.  Running and terminating the cables.  Setup/configuration.  I don't know.  £800 for a turn-key 4-camera system doesn't seem outrageous to me.  But ICBW.

As for having a family member do it: Yes: IP is plug-and-play-ish, but you do have to have some tech chops to pull it off, IMHO.

I won't argue about Hikvision except to say one of my brothers-in-law runs a successful security company in Europe.  He uses both Hikvision and Dahua, along with some more "esoteric" brands that cost a good deal more.

26 minutes ago, Cortian said:

I'll have £550 invested in just four 2MP starlight cameras, Ethernet cable (500 ft.), and a PoE network switch.  Add another £236 for my NAS and we're up to £786, right there.  Running and terminating the cables.  Setup/configuration.  I don't know.  £800 for a turn-key 4-camera system doesn't seem outrageous to me.  But ICBW.

Well £550 for 4 X 2mp starlight  cameras says you bought from the wrong place.

and another £236 for a NAS ........ NVR 5mp recording and 2tb of storage and Poe is only £120.

again NVR is plug and play nothing like going switch network or NAS

2 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Well £550 for 4 X 2mp starlight  cameras says you bought from the wrong place.

I blew the math somewhere along the line.  I'm paying the equivalent of about £470 for the four cameras.

And you did write "ip is plug and play," not "NVR is plug and play."

2mp starlight cameras retail uk at £52 and it's been like that for 8 months and there going cheaper as we are upto 5 or 8mp 

yes i said ip ......but for 4 cameras there is also the run costs ........PC and NAS is not cost effective for a home user .......cost to run Poe switch and PC .....then you have more costs in hard drives than a h265 NVR ..... It's just not worth the cost for the number of cameras.

but I don't understand were this post is going ......op did state old age ......something easy .............building a local network I would not recommend 

but I don't understand were this post is going ...

It is wandering a bit far afield. So I'll just bow out, rather than pursue the points raised any further.

On 12/29/2018 at 2:13 PM, Hoolie said:

Oh my days - thank you! This is why I asked the question. My boys are old so not very good with gadgets like their mother :-)). But I have a grandson who’s very efficient. The boys just thought we should have a professional 

the other big thing is knowing what to buy. It’s a mine field xx

Hi. It is a mine field ... that’s the problem with online systems and prices are all over the place.

a 4 way nvr recorder with 4 x 5mp cameras is £300 cheaper than your quote and is uk based and uk cloud service 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Hi. It is a mine field ... that’s the problem with online systems and prices are all over the place.

a 4 way nvr recorder with 4 x 5mp cameras is £300 cheaper than your quote and is uk based and uk cloud service 

Thank you. But your comments have confirmed it’s way to confusing. Well out of my depth 

we just need cameras at the front and back of the house as I fall frequently and my sons want to be able to check see all is ok   And I would have liked to see who was at the door before I opened it 

I just wanted someone to say this system is good all the letters being used really is so hard for one to grasp. 

Im sorry I have caused such a fuss xx