Sign in to follow this  
perky416

Can i make a POE camera wireless and work with my NVR?

Hey guys,

Finally my second query here.

Id like to put a couple of cctv cameras on my detatched garage however im not really keen on digging up the patio to run the cables (There is no way the cables can get to the garage unless they are underground).

The garage does have power to it and a spare socket where i had my previous wifi camera plugged in, however my new cameras arent wireless they are poe.

Is there a simple solution to make a poe camera wireless (considering they plug directly i to the swann 8580 NVR rather than the router) or should i just bite the bullet and rip up the block paving?

Many thanks.

Lee

Hey tom,

That's a good idea!

Would it work even though my garage and NVR are on different rings protected by individual RCBO's at the fuse box?

Also how would it work with regards to powering the cameras? They only have Ethernet sockets, there is no power connector as they are POE.

Thanks mate.

Would it work even though my garage and NVR are on different rings protected by individual RCBO's at the fuse box?

I'm guessing you're in the UK, so I cannot answer with any certainty, but, here in the U.S. we usually have what's called "split phase" service in residences.  Center-tapped 240VAC enters the dwelling, which is then distributed on separate 120VAC buses.  In such installations, powerline Ethernet adaptors tend to fare poorly from one side of the split phase service to the other.

It sounds like what you're talking about, though, is between separate branch circuits on the same phase.  If so: The answer is "yes."  Probably.  Note, though, that distance, as the wire runs, and the amount of electrical noise generators on the branches can influence performance.

Also note that intermittent noise generators on the power lines can cause intermittent, apparently inexplicable performance issues.

Also how would it work with regards to powering the cameras? They only have Ethernet sockets, there is no power connector as they are POE.

Add a PoE injector to place between the powerline adaptor and camera.

If you're going to have more than one camera it may make sense to use a small PoE network switch.  E.g.: Powerline adaptor <-> switch <-> cameras.  Again, however: Whether that would work well or not will depend upon the powerline adaptors' performance.

TPLink makes powerline Ethernet adaptors with PoE, but they get poor reviews.  Comtrend has them, as well, and they get pretty good reviews.  (I'm surprised not everybody who makes powerline Ethernet adaptors has PoE versions.  Seems like a natural pairing, to me.)

We have a shed about 70 feet from the house.  I'm going to network that thing, some day.  Just for grins.  I plan to do it with a pair of 5GHz Ubiquiti radios, though.  I'll put a small PoE switch out there, a PoE-powered AP up in the peak inside, and a couple PoE cameras on the outside--one looking back at the house and one looking out across the yard, towards the woods :)

Edited by Cortian

11 hours ago, perky416 said:

Hey tom,

That's a good idea!

Thanks mate.

Hi. Yes powerline will work and you won’t have any problems 

to powe your camera all you need is a poe injector at camera end .... there around £15

Hello,

Perky if you have any problems with the power line adapter to send you data.

1-) Long distance

you can use wireless bridge which transmit a transparent link, you can use from ubiquity there are several types you can use like (nano bean ) https://www.ubnt.com/

For the ubiquitti product you can get a preconfigured pair if you dont have the skills to get it paired. (from amazon)

2-) If you have a existing wifi you can use a wireless extender this option is cheaper and works, the adapter need an Ethernet interface. You can use from TPlink they are user friendly. https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5508_TL-WA850RE.html

Wish the best on your project.

Jay P. Dicsan Technology

Lee. Stick with the powerline plugs £29 and your problem is done.

spending 100s makes no sense at all.

ill guess your only talking 20ft distance ?