Sign in to follow this  
CamUser123

Wireless vehicle surveillance in garage

I park in an underground garage in an apartment building.  Car vandalism issue.  Mostly scratches here and there.  Suspect inside job.  No source of electricity / AC outlet.  I have different external options to monitor vehicle.  Trail cam that is motion activated, Brinno Mac200 cam via motion detection.  Both can run on batteries for a long time.   My ideal option would be a 180* or even 360* small cam that can run on batteries (can also hook up to an external battery.  Install it inside the car, looking out.  Digital motion sensor is best as it will have to work thru the glass of the vehicle.  The trail cam and Brinno may not work behind glass like a car window.  Any suggestions? 

PS.  In the past I have used those small DVR hooked up to a camera.  It has adjustable digital motion sensing.  If enough pixels change in the FOV, it activates.  Doesn't matter if there is a piece of glass in front.   I run it via a large external battery (can last 24 hours of continuous use) but it uses up battery life fast.  

Some wire up dash cams so they run all the time.  Maybe mount a good quality dash cam near the rear window pointing forward so you can see people doing stuff down the side of the vehicle.  Use a 64GB micro SD card or bigger if the system will allow it but I think you would get over or about a week recording before being over written.  Whatever how long it is it is more than enough to catch the "criminals". 

Just a cheap option.

Someone else may have a better suggestion.

Thanks.  I have been exploring this option as well.  I may be able to get away with the external cams for awhile but ultimately the solution would be in-vehicle surveillance.  I recently purchased a 2 camera dash cam and it has a Parking Mode feature as well.  I may choose another single channel dash cam (very wide angle) to use solely as a surveillance cam (outside or inside the vehicle).  

I was looking thru this video.  They have an external battery called the Cellink.  On the expensive side. 

I have one of those large and heavy Battery Eliminators (2000 amp hours and 700W).  Not being into electronics, I wonder how long a dash cam would last before the battery runs out.  Yes, I can always try it and find out. 

Hi. You will get a few days from that power pack ....... But if you used your car every day your power pack would charge up if always connected to car charger.

dash cams are a mindfield.   .... I while ago I did a post on them 

we used to install vicovation Marcus 5 duel camera systems ...... Not cheap $400

lasted 13 months just as warranty ran out......did not just happen to one but most of them.

you have cheap and expensive dash cams..but.... Go for middle price . We found a company after a few weeks to replace the Marcus 5s  and are happy with them.

not all cameras will do what you need ..... Once a car is parked up the camera will not record till car gets a hit. You need something that will record on motion once car is parked.

we use blackvue....... There not cheap ... There not expensive but are one of the best dash cams on the market.

your not wasting money as not just for your car parked but also for everyday use.

you can also watch the blackvue from anywere and record to your PC as well as car SD.

customer of ours had one fitted last August to his Ford Focus RS ...... He took his car in for a service ........ As soon as they walked upto his car while parked in the service area it sent the live recording to his mobile. So he kept watching ........car driven onto ramp bonnet lift up guy do some oil change and little bits and then back off the ramp and back into service bay car park. It took 28 minutes No more alerts till 4 hours later when he got a call from service department saying car was ready and total cost was $580.  Customer thought that's expensive so on the phone the customer asked the service guy to have a look at another problem he had with the front of his car and would the service guy stay on the phone while he went to look ..... Service guy walks infront of car ..... Camera sends live view back to customer......... Customer then says to service guy give me a wave I can see you on my dash cam ....... Service guy put phone down on him.

service cost nothing when customer took footage when collecting his car.

its not just a dash cam it's a full CCTV system

https://www.blackvue.com/dr900s-1ch/?page_id=90121

Thanks for your advice.  I have the Viofo dual cam.  The garage is several stories down, so no WiFi.  If I could get WiFi to work that deep underground, I would.  It is the ideal situation to be alerted to an event (motion detection).  If it's a really busy area, then not so good as you'll keep getting alerts.  

On a different note, I have the Ring outdoor cam which I will use indoors at my place.  WiFi.  Have not set it up yet but will soon.  

Hi Everyone,

For dashcam, kindly follow my post.

While driving, our dashcam detects impacts and sudden changes in speed. While parked, it also detects movements*.

Videos files are marked accordingly so that you can easily find the relevant ones.

blackvue-dash-cam-dr750s-60fps-comparison-starvis-on-off-regular-cmos

For those who want even more brightness in dark environments, the dashcam features Enhanced Night Vision.
When activated, it boosts the ISO sensitivity in low light without blowing up the highlights in bright surroundings.
It can be set to On, Off, or Parking Mode Only.