vitHoward

High-Definition CCTV

Hello all,

For some time, I've been complaining about the lack of picture quality of recorded video due to the NTSC standards from the 1940's. I've seen the future and it is finally here. I'm using a camera with a pixel matrix of 1600x 1200. It sure beats the heck out of the 740 x 240 we get with today's DVR's

It requires some downloadable codecs in order to view over the internet but the following link shows actual unretouched images of two side by side cameras lookinng out of my office window.

http://www.videoguardit.com/hi-def-comparison-pics.html

What do you think?

Howard Kohnstamm

howard@videoguardit.com

PS. Besides being a systems integrator, I offer a two day course in CCTV basics. I'll schedule a class anywhere that I can get a group of 15 or more people.

Cant wait until high definition cctv arrives mainstream, digital cams are now very cheap for even multi mega pixel cameras, bout time cctv caught up.

How many frames per second is the camera you were using? Can it do 25 or 30 fps at that resolution? Or is it sloooooowwwwwww?

Couple that with the problem of how on earth anyone could store the image without a new set of equipment, as I cant grasp how current multiplexers, dvrs, etc would cope, they are designed for much lower resolutions, at least as far as I know they are anyways.

Guess that would not apply though, if you got a new system designed from scratch for a mega-pixel cctv camera, although the recording aspect would still be harder to cope with, due to the much larger size of the frames.

I cant see why cctv cams cant be mega pixel at a reasonable price, if normal digital cameras can do it, Im sure cctv manu's could if they wanted to - even if they just operated at a few frames per second.

We're shooting for 2 to 3 images per second. By recompressing, the file size is running 30k to 50k, about 2 to 3 times the size of a standard video file. Hard drives are cheap. Picture quality is priceless. Almost sounds like a mastercard ad.

hk

the pic looks great but if you take into account the file size of recording at that level over lets say 15-30 days you are looking at huge amount of terabites to save which would blow most people's budget

2 to 3 images per second, you could get a digital camera and shoot at that rate...... Most decent digital SLR cams should exceed 2 to 3 fps, just need to interface it to get the data of it fast, and onto a pc. Thats the tricky bit.....

Up until the advent of the DVR, most customers were content to have one video tape for each day of the week, so they wouldn't normally have more than a week's worth of video. Some never bothered to even change the tape. They just left the tape in the machine and let it rewind once a day. By the way, in normal 24 hour mode, we only had 5 images total from all of the camera.

Why, all of the sudden is it necessary to have a months worth of video. Most of my customers know within a couple of days (maybe a long weekend) if they have an incident that they need to save. I'm thrilled to have good clean high quality images even if I'm only going to get 2 to 3 images/sec for 8 or 9 cameras. By the way, if you get a chance to look at the video images, try zooming in. At 300% we still have good images, at 400%, not so good.

To answer the comment about recording. The images are motion jpegs so they are not compatible with standard DVR's etc. They require a computer with special software. Cheaper than a DVR because we don't need an image capture card. The images are already "captured".

Our world is about to witness a major revolution!!!!!!

Howard

The main reason they use 30 tapes for a months recording is for LICENSING of hotels etc,

I like the quality but prefer 12 fps min as you miss to much at 2/3 fps...

quality and speed is the only way to go, and HDD (storage) is so cheap now a terrabyte is to cheap for cctv......

cheers

Rory,

The big change is that the dealer costs are low enough that they can be sold for under a thousand dollars with a decent margin for the installer. Several DVR mfg's are beginning to produce units that are very reasonable. It's not a cheap system, but I'd rather spend my time on a good system with a decent profit than on a half dozen that I barely break even on.

By the way, what did you think of the video?

Howard

The Video is fine, but the software needs some improvement in that area, even IP systems (is this an IP camera?) dont yet match DVR software.

Rory,

The recorder I am testing is as good as any I have ever used. All of the basic controls, plus a lot of neat new ones. I can actually "zoom" almost 300% without lose of video quality. You can't do that with conventional cameras.

Since the unit has been on the market for several years, they have all of the bugs worked out. What is new is the ability to also record the high definition. Yes it is IP based, motion JPEG 1600 x 1200. Most flat screen computer monitors don't have the pixel count to display the image at full resolution. I'm using CRT's with new video cards to test the units.

I'll a little reluctant to give out too much specific info at the moment. I want to get a solid jump on my local competition before showing all of my cards. I expect within the next months many more manufacturers will realilze that the new world is here and they need to get with it.

I wish you could round up 15 or so folks in your part of the world that would like some serous but fun CCTV training. I sure could use an excuse for a Bahamas trip.

Howard

howard@videoguardit.com

www.videoguardit.com

LOL .. i have seen most of the software out there, and actually dont need any training for an IP cam .. but thanks ..also, do you have any night time shots? Thats where MP IP Cama usually have issues.

It's not a cheap system, but I'd rather spend my time on a good system with a decent profit than on a half dozen that I barely break even on.

Howard

thats what I say. Not about this system but every system. Screw the cheap systems because you can loose your tail end on a cheap system with little profit very very fast.

HDD storage may be cheap, but the DVR companies aren't pricing it cheap.

We have never bought hdd from a dvr supplier, cept altech in Aus they are a pc reseller, thats the key

Buy from a poc supplier at cost just get an account with them,

my friend, harddrives come installed in DVR's (embedded variety), and the DVR companies charge alot more than tiger-direct.

Yes I understand that way they make a biot more, I know most of them do it here.

YOU can and DO have the choice to source your own HDD.... OR specify NO hdd when you buy them..

Order it with a 40 and take it out and use something bigger,