joe4

Going to Bahamas - What to do rory?

Rory,

I am going to the Bahamas for a week in October with my wife and two young kids. Anything I should know?

LOL, depends where you go ..

Which Island Joe? Any particular hotel picked out yet?

no need, they got that place locked down good

its not part of Nassau, its on a seperate Island seperated by a bridge ..

You'll have plenty to do just at the Hotel actually ... but if you want to see a little more of island life, take a day trip on the Bohengy (fast ferry) to Harbour Island ...

If you decide to rent a car, let me know first, so i can tell yah how it works down here ... not much traffic laws are followed here Whatever yah do, dont rent mopeds, its dangerous enough driving here in a car .. also be careful on the beach at atlantis, there have been a few watersport accidents, only use specified watersport companies also .. atlantis will be able to fill you in on that.

Also you can catch a ferry over to Nassau, to Bay Street, which is our downtown area. Whatever you do, never venture "over the hill", unless you're in a vehicle with someone you know, and during the day. It is interesting to see though, so let me know when you come down and I could show you those areas .... Lyford Cay is a nice area to see also, its our Beverly Hills, hard to get inside unless you know someone though .. like me (Taxis cant get in even)

Dont think you'd get much snorkeling done off Atlantis' beach as it gets deep quick, so look for day trips to Rose Island (an island just East of Paradise Island where Atlantis is located), such as Majestic Tours do trips there every day. They have shallow water and perfect reefs close to the shore (I worked there for a year long time ago).

There's alot of other things to do if you have money, like PowerBoat Adventures, Helicopter Tour, etc ... depends ... Id say a 2 day trip to Long Island in the Southern Bahamas, but since you have Kids, they may get a little bored, its the real out islands ... beautiful place though ... Harbour Island is beautiful also, just really small .. but worth seeing if you arent going to any other outislands .. Nassau and Paradise Island isnt the "real" Bahamas ..

They also have Swim With the Sharks ... on the South Western side of Nassau .. deep sea fishing trips, etc etc ..

Anyway give me a shout closer to the time.

Rory

Rory,

Thanks for all the info. Both my kids are under 3 so taxis and rental cars are a pain (car seats). I hope to hang out at the hotel allot buy my kids love boats so we plan on doing a ferry ride. It would be cool if we could find a sail boat also.

I am trying to avoid 8 dollar waters at the hotel and our room has a refrigerator. Do you know where there is a grocery store that has normal prices?

Closest would be in Miami ...

Well there is a Food Store over the Bridge then juust to the east up the road about a half mile ..