Sign in to follow this  
Kalip

Upgrading to IP System from CCTV

I had a CCTV system (analog) installed at my home a few months ago with 5 
5 MP analog cameras. 
However, I am not quite satisfied with the performance. 
The Hikvision Technician who installed it told me that IP Systems show up to
4 times clearer than the CCTV. 
Is the quality of the IP system so much better that it’s worth upgrading from analog?

Hi. Your analog system is in fact a HD analog system and there is not much difference between hd 5mp and ip 5mp. 

You our souls be happy with hd analog 5mp

but first there is no such thing as a hikvision technician he is just a cctv installer. 

First thing you need to do is list on here equipment used ie model of camera and of recorder

some hikvision unit will not use 5mp so your cameras might be set at a lower resolution which is why your not happy

This is interesting because I was planning on doing the opposite (from ip cameras to analog cameras) due to the latter being extremely inexpensive compared to the former (ip 4mp is $85 while analog 5mp is $32). Now I don't know much about cameras, probably why I even thought that the premise your technician told was even remotely possible, but afaik the difference between those two cameras should be negligible as long as they have the same resolution and bit rate. As for recording though, tomcctv is right, the dvr can be a bottleneck on your setup if it's under-powered, you'll need one of hikvision's turbo hd dvrs if you'd want the most out of your cameras. When in doubt with the quality, I usually check the maximum video quality of the cameras I want to buy from their specific recordings on YouTube (they're a bit compressed but you'll get the gist of their capabilities) and luckily, I have yet to find a camera I needed that didn't have one.

Thank you both  for your responses

Listed hereunder are the specifications of the equipment used (to the best of my knowledge):
   DVR:              DS-7208HUHI-K1 TURBO HD DVR 
4 CAMERAS:     DS-2CE16HIT-IT3Z     5MP  2.8MM TO 12.MM (MOTORISED LENS) TURBO HD
1 CAMERA:       DS-2CE56HOT-ITMF  5MP   2.8MM TURBO HD.

According to the PTZ settings and the DVR settings the cameras are set to 5MP
(I don’t know if I was expecting too much from the system. The coverage is fairly okay,  but facial recognition is not that clear.)

What's the bit rate set to in kbps and what resolution and frame rate have you got I've posted a couple of masked out for privacy images on another thread of my 2mp on here if you go to my profile you'll find my recent post and attachments that is hd turbo DVR with 2mp cameras and framerate 25 FPS at 4096 kbps

Thank you for your response I have submitted hereunder the display
that I am seeing on the screen: 

(Thanks for the clarification also, I had erroneously stated facial recognition what I actually meant was facial detection. )

Camera Resolution 5mp 
Resolution    5MP
Frame rate 12fps
Maximum bit rate kbps 2048 
Maximum bit rate recommended 1852-3087 kbps
Maximum average bit rate 1440
Encoding H.265
The DVR atomically sets the frame rates to 12 fps at 5 MP, 15ffs at 4MP and 18fps at 3MP 
NOTE The frame rate cannot be adjusted upwards. 

hikvision.jpg