Sign in to follow this  
alpalp

Which camera surveillance system for home should i choose?

Hello!

Yes, which ip camera surveillance system for home do you guys recommend? :headbang:
Maybe any new system with face recognition?

My requriments are:
outdoor use, waterproof, wired (not wireless!), at least 5 cameras.

I am old school DVR with CCTV cameras, but that feels kinda old to use today.

Thank you very much!
Greetings from Sweden.

First of I'm old school but I don't use ip due to latency issues on some systems I prefer proper coax based systems with BNC connector I've just upgraded using hikvision thct120 2.8mm 2mp cameras, thct220 varifoxal 2mp cameras 2.8-12mm and 2mp high speed domes and the quality from the existing coax cabling to the new ds7316hghi hikvision DVR at 11 tb has been superb I'll attach a picture when I get home of the images of each model above if you want to see the tvi systems in operation 

1 hour ago, alpalp said:

Maybe any new system with face recognition?

Hi. Why would you need face recognition?   Which will cost you 1000s a year just for the access to a database. 

Dont get face recognition mixed up with face detection. .... which is pointless for home use as you have to built the database yourself with people you know

you have two options off systems ip and HD analog   If this is going to be a fresh install I would say go ip ...... much cleaner install with data and power over cat5 cable 

HD analog (coax) goes out of date quick   Two years ago it was hd 2mp now it’s upto 8mp but the systems are not forward or backward comparable were as ip in most cases is and ip is now cheaper. 

What is your budget

Thank you!

I think i will try to buy PTZ cameras.

Do you guys know a test or review where we can see some pictures about this type of IP cameras?

How do you guys find ip cameras that has quality and is not cheap chinese build.

Thank you very very much!! :classic_rolleyes:

Before going to the expense of PTZ cameras ask yourself if you'll actually use the functionality.  To my way of thinking they're primarily useful in live monitoring situations, or situations where you're receiving motion or other notifications and may wish to PTZ remotely.  Other than that it's mainly useful during setup, then you don't use it again.

As for camera choices: Read reviews.  But always keep in mind some people are easily impressed :)

On my BlueIris setup I have 2 cameras out front. The wide angle watches the driveway and car. The other is a PTZ watching front lawn. When the motion detection of the fixed camera is triggered, the ptz pans and zooms onto the car, getting a better/different view of the car and possible door checker/thief. That is one use for a ptz.

I have 16 cameras plus an IP camera in the pond on live only I use the ptzs linked to alarm sensors so when a PIR sensor triggers the ptz within the area will turn to the alarm area and home in on the part 

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2019 at 7:28 PM, Cortian said:

......Before going to the expense of PTZ cameras ask yourself if you'll actually use the functionality.....

You are right!

I will start a new thread where i ask peoples opinion about IP cameras.

Thank you for opening my eyes! ?