Sign in to follow this  
perky416

Displaying footage from certain cameras on a 2nd display

Hi Guys.

I have a swann 8580 NVR with the hdmi cable going to my tv where i control everything from. I have 6 cameras fitted.

I wanted to install a small monitor next to the front door so i can view the footage from the cameras pointing at the front door and down the side of the house before answering the door to anybody. I was originally going to simply use a hdmi splitter to send the footage to the monitor, however after thinking about it, displaying the footage from all 6 cameras on a tiny screen will render it too small to see anything at a glance.

Now i am thinking, is there a way to display the footage from only 2 cameras on the monitor if i hook it up to a computer and use 3rd party software or something? This would be to purley display the footage, whilst leaving the NVR connected to the TV.

Or failing that, using a couple of small monitors, with each monitor showing the dedicated footage from a single camera by intercepting it somehow?

Does anybody know how to achieve this?

Many thanks

Hi. I would keep it simple 

i would buy a 10 inch $50 tablet  and place that on wall by your door and use the Swann app on your local network

this option also gives you more options 

the tablet will get alerts and sound alert. 

Plus if your out in your back yard or workshop.......take it off the wall and take it with you

Hey tom,

I did consider this, however the app doesnt let you view only 2 cameras, the minimum is 4 meaning the image for the 2 i want to view will will be smaller than what i would like. I was hoping to get just the 2 cameras displayed.

Your suggestion is a great last resort if nothing else can be done.

Going with you suggestion i did think it would be possible to use the parallel space android app to launch 2 versions of the swann app, each with its on user account and displaying a single camera and use them in split screen mode, however trying to display the swann app on split screen mode even without using parallel space crashes it. The swann app is buggy as hell and their customer support is next to useless via email.

Hi. You could just display main door full screen .....and just swipe to next full screen camera 

it does not matter how you slit it up you will always have 4 screen with only to two showing cameras

Hey tom.

Im going to see if a windows tablet will run a virtual machine, if so ill try running 2 instances of the virtual machine each with the homesafe app running in single camera mode.

Hi I think your just making it complicated 

load app onto a tablet ..... create a user with password for only the two cameras you need 

then it is just a matter of swiping cam1 then cam2 

you can even setup on recorder to send image to tablet when anyone is in field view of any camera