Kalip

Monitor Quality

A CCTV Installation guy told me that since normal HD monitor only has a resolution of up to 1080P. (1920 X 1080) it makes no sense installing a 5 MP Turbo HD Analog surveillance system if you’re not using a 4K monitor with it.
(As I understand it the 5MP has a resolution of 5MP 2560x1920.)
Is this really the case?

I disagree with that it makes no sense to run 5MP. As long as, it's not a crazy price difference.

It is true that a monitor can only display up it its capabilites. But the recordings will be more detailed, in the file, and you are future proofing your system. Plus, most TV sets are 4K - mine is and I don't even have a 4K source. If you needed enlarge an incident , you could view on your 4K set if you have one.

Eventually, the prices of monitors will fall and you're already go to go.

It makes absolute sense installing a higher quality camera than the monitor because when you use the digital zoom function to see who just robbed you then there will be more pixels within the image so it will be clearer when enlarged than the equivalent lower resolution camera.

Remember ultimately this footage could be required as evidence, so the clearer the better.

Thank you for your responses. 
I already have four 5mp Turbo Hikvision varifocals installed. 
There are 3 or 4 additional cameras yet to be installed and he’s trying to convince 
me to use 2mp for the rest of the areas. 
I shall insist that he installs at least 5mp cameras in remaining areas.

14 minutes ago, Kalip said:

Thank you for your responses. 
I already have four 5mp Turbo Hikvision varifocals installed. 
There are 3 or 4 additional cameras yet to be installed and he’s trying to convince 
me to use 2mp for the rest of the areas. 
I shall insist that he installs at least 5mp cameras in remaining areas.

Hi. A lot of hikvisions have a limit on MP and will also require you to drop fps on rest of your cameras to go full 5mp on every channel just check with your recorder spec on its limits

Thank you very much  
I  checked the frames per second on the DVR and the manual and you are right.
I am using the Hikvision Turbo 7208 DVR and it adjust the frame per second according to 
the megapixel of the camera, in this case for the 5mp camera the maximum frame 
per second is 12. At 8mp it would be 8 frames per second, for 3mp it would be 18 frames 
per second and so on.

A frame rate of between 10-15 is fine for most use cases. To put it into perspective it takes about 6 FPS to catch someone stealing something off a supermarket shelf. 

Hi. That is the problem with a lot of hikvision.... So going 5mp is ok just lowers your fps 

but if you have a camera looking for plate or a important area that needs better fps then your installer is right .... If you have areas that 2mp will be good enough then that allows your system to operate better

also it will give you longer storage .

Thank you for your advice.
I don’t think that the remaining areas would need plate recognition although face 
detection may be an advantage.