Chris6700

Which security camera to purchase?

I have been looking at different security cameras (Nest, Blink, Netgear and other choices). I am just confused and don’t really know which one to buy. 

Here are my requirements.

-6 security cameras needed for a new hotel that I have purchased.

- Easily access videos from my phone or computer. 

-Store for 3 months before automatically deleted.

-WiFi Camera and wired

Any suggestions? 

Hi. All you have listed are known as smart cameras .... not a cctv system and definitely not something you would use in a hotel install

what country are you in ..... this type of install will also come under some sort of regulation 

how many camera are you looking for ?

you need to be looking at IP systems 

Tom is Right you need to be looking at professional cctv solutions, not your off the shelf add on solutions.

All comes down to budget, how much you looking to spend?

Also never go wireless unless absolutely necessary , even with enterprise WiFi the results can be unpredictable.

Just adding a 3rd vote to Tom's and SL's.

(With the exception of SL's comment, re: WiFi.  Yes: Wired is way, way better.  Particularly with video streams and when we're talking security systems.  But a good WiFi system [most are crap] can work just fine, IME.)

1 hour ago, Cortian said:

(With the exception of SL's comment, re: WiFi.  Yes: Wired is way, way better.  Particularly with video streams and when we're talking security systems.  But a good WiFi system [most are crap] can work just fine, IME.)

Cortian is right, but let me clarify my opinion. Wifi can work in ideal scenarios, good quality WiFi for instance, ruckus or Cisco aironet or equivalent. But rarely WiFi is ideal. With the number of factors and variables that can occur it can be more problem than it’s worth.

Even with the best WiFi, you have to remember that WiFi is a two way conversation.

This is where the first issue comes, in my opinion after using many WiFi enabled cameras, the WiFi part is weak and substandard with small gain antennas.

Second devices such as these require at least a -65dbm signal level to be able to operate properly. Rarely is this achieved across an entire site and in every corner of every room. So signal may not be strong enough in the optimum position for field of view.

Interference can make and break your installation.

You have to run power anyway so why not just run a cat5 and use Poe.

Likely hood is your not going to be watching the cctv all the time, so do you want to risk a blip in communication that misses something important that can be caused by something as simple as someone walking in your hotel with their hotspot enabled on the same WiFi channel. 

• Like 1