Tp23

Ground loop Inteference

Hi all new to this forum I installed a four camera hikvision 5mp system yesterday using cat 5 duct grade 5mp baluns 5a 12v supply with flying leads. 3 out of 4 cameras are good but when I connect the video into the fourth it effects all the other cameras, basically kicks them out and each one comes back and goes and so fourth. I have tested the cable no shorts between any of the cores would this more than likely be a ground loop problem?  Any response would be much appreciated

Hi. No not a ground loop problem .

what type of baluns have you used and how many pairs have you used for video and for power 

Hi thanks for reply used 1 pair for power one pair for video no problem on the other three cameras tho just one? 

7 minutes ago, Tp23 said:

Hi thanks for reply used 1 pair for power one pair for video no problem on the other three cameras tho just one? 

Ok ..... But problems need to be sorted out ...... Reason why we ask how many for power is ..... 1 pair is not good on cat5 

and you never answered type of balun used ....... A lot of people think there buys baluns off the likes of eBay to find there not baluns at all 

Usually use shotgun cable to be honest and never have issues tried cat 5 and this issue has occurred and they are 1080p baluns up to 5mp from adi not cheap eBay ones the cables are pretty close to virgin on in the house but other three are ok 

35 minutes ago, Tp23 said:

And would you say 2 pairs for video and power ?

Hi. Only ever 1 pair for video when using cat5 

also are you using a power supply with a lead with 4 power plugs 

Yes using 1 pair for power and one for video 

Using a 4 way splitter yes with a lead with four power plugs  12v 5a ,  each camera is pulling 350ma according to hikvsion  

Thanks again for reply 

This morning I have checked the camera on another dvr and all works fine so can take that out of the equation i havnt mentioned but I could hear the camera clicking ever few seconds and the ir going on and off my minds boggled off this 

Did you add extra pair for power and what is the distance from cam to power

also put that camera onto a separate power supply

Yes added extra pair and distance is about 15metres

Tried that the other day with a separate power supply 

As soon as the balun touches the dvr not even screwed in it just turns them all off and starts flickering 

7 hours ago, Tp23 said:

Yes added extra pair and distance is about 15metres

Tried that the other day with a separate power supply 

As soon as the balun touches the dvr not even screwed in it just turns them all off and starts flickering 

That could be a balun wired wrong way at 1 end or bad balun (short) 

or you could be very unlucky but it does happen ..... Some cameras share a neutral (power and video neutral) and sometimes gives a short ...... Try swapping the camera for one of your others

Tried the camera on my own dvr at home and works perfectly with baluns will try it on another power supply this week if that doesn't work would you say to try a loop isolator ? 

Thanks again for the help much appreciated 

40 minutes ago, Tp23 said:

Tried the camera on my own dvr at home and works perfectly with baluns will try it on another power supply this week if that doesn't work would you say to try a loop isolator ? 

Thanks again for the help much appreciated 

Hi. Ground loop are not used with cat5 and baluns plus it's a digital signal not analog.

at home did you swap out the balun that your installing with .

if it's shorting your DVR then it's bad baluns or you have a short in your cat5 

BNC / baluns carry power so if it is shutting down your recorder as soon as you connect ..... It's a short 

run a temp cat5 to your camera 

Sorted it was a dodgy female jack plug didn't have the inner sheath so wasn't gaining a true contact thanks for all the help appreciate the quick response and helpful advice 

Your welcome 

just with you saying touch BNC to BNC socket and it shorts is always a power problem 

but it is usually found in the camera lead ...... With yours being in power lead it was only getting neutral from BNC