Sign in to follow this  
scratch

Cat and Cat5e?

Can I use Cat5 instead of Cat5e for a 4k NVR system if the cabling has the correct RJ45 connectors on it, or am I going to notice a difference in video quality?

2 hours ago, larry said:

Use Cat5e. Is Cat5 even available anymore?

Not sure, but I have an extra camera to run, and it already has cat5 there right now.  If all I have to do is put on the correct RJ45 connector, that would save me a bunch of hassle.

5 minutes ago, scratch said:

Not sure, but I have an extra camera to run, and it already has cat5 there right now.  If all I have to do is put on the correct RJ45 connector, that would save me a bunch of hassle.

Hi. It could also give you a lot of hassle 

cat5 is old and also came as cat5 cca.   Which is bad cable ......cat5e is a much better cable and most likely to be pure copper .    You also need to know existing size of the old cat5

Often it's not the cost of the cable, but the cost or difficulty of running it.  That was why, when I did new cable installations for my employer, I always ran 25-50% more runs than the projected need.  (And, when they recently switched from a legacy phone system to IP phones, it still wasn't enough.  But they only had to add a dozen or so new runs, so not bad for a 20-year-old install with close to 500 runs ;).)

Terminating existing cable is inexpensive and trivial.  I'd terminate it, try it, and see if it worked.  If not: Then replace it with Cat5E or Cat6.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cortian said:

Often it's not the cost of the cable, but the cost or difficulty of running it.  That was why, when I did new cable installations for my employer, I always ran 25-50% more runs than the projected need.  (And, when they recently switched from a legacy phone system to IP phones, it still wasn't enough.  But they only had to add a dozen or so new runs, so not bad for a 20-year-old install with close to 500 runs ;).)

Terminating existing cable is inexpensive and trivial.  I'd terminate it, try it, and see if it worked.  If not: Then replace it with Cat5E or Cat6.

Great idea.  Worth a shot.

On 3/28/2019 at 6:14 PM, tomcctv said:

Hi. It could also give you a lot of hassle 

cat5 is old and also came as cat5 cca.   Which is bad cable ......cat5e is a much better cable and most likely to be pure copper .    You also need to know existing size of the old cat5

How about cat5e CCA, is that still bad cable?  Like this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZHLSV1/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B071ZHLSV1&pd_rd_w=pgk90&pf_rd_p=733540df-430d-45cd-9525-21bc15b0e6cc&pd_rd_wg=vV41e&pf_rd_r=PK87R433RWHCMHC388KY&pd_rd_r=ae74085e-535b-11e9-b8ff-1749bfa13380

check your local electrical code as cca may not be allowed.  Agree with the poster who suggests putting in spare runs. I was in the cabling business for 14 years and neve had a customer say they were sorry that the cable they needed for a new device was all ready installed.

• Like 1