corviarbob

nvr and dvr camera questions

i have 2 kinds of camera systems, a dvr and an nvr. my dvr system lets me see my cameras 24/7 without issues. from my phone my pc my tablet.  my nvr lets me see those cameras at home sometimes and never away.  the dvr is hard wired with what looks like coax cable and it has 3 cable in one run for video audio and power. i use video and power.  my nvr has 4 onvif cameras on it, i tried to connect the type of camera that is wifi or wired and i was told those camera are not onvif so they will not connect to the nvr. i was having issues with the wifi type cameras dropping feed, so i just rand hard wire from each camera to a network switch and the nvr to the network switch. this allowed me to get a better feed but not perfect. anyway the dvr let me change the username and the ports and the ip and make it static. the nvr will not let me change anything on the onvif cameras. so i found an onvif manager program and that will find the onvif cameras but i can't change anything on them. username password port ip nothien. so here i set with ports that are ports that people can use to peek in my system. 

so in searching for anything that might help i found some systems that use converters form cat5 network which i think is digital to the dvr signal which i think is analog. if this is just some much bologna then i will just connect them to there own router and then i can see them at home but not away. but still be able to record form the onvif cameras. 

does anyone know if this is possible? if not then i will forget it.  i was told i did not have an expensive enough system on some sites but most sellers of system told me there was nothing wrong with what i have but that it is not really the best but workable. all i do is look at the yard watch cars go by and when gone check on the dogs for ****s a grins. not of this has to happen but it is kinda of like a hobby.  thanks for any help.

those converters probably do not convert the signal format. they provide an interface so the signal can be sent over CAT5 cable, and at the other end, they convert back. they interface the video signal to the CAT5 cable. we would need to see a link to verify this

if they look like this, they are baluns, not signal converters

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-CCTV-Coax-BNC-Video-Power-Balun-Transceiver-to-CAT5e-6-RJ45-Connector-US/303066208877?hash=item4690275a6d:m:mG0qV4NnSFl3pECiiLVFv_A

11 minutes ago, tube tech said:

those converters probably do not convert the signal format. they provide an interface so the signal can be sent over CAT5 cable, and at the other end, they convert back. they interface the video signal to the CAT5 cable. we would need to see a link to verify this

if they look like this, they are baluns, not signal converters

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-CCTV-Coax-BNC-Video-Power-Balun-Transceiver-to-CAT5e-6-RJ45-Connector-US/303066208877?hash=item4690275a6d:m:mG0qV4NnSFl3pECiiLVFv_A

i don't know if they look like this or not but it sounds by what your saying is it just will not work.  i have since started down another road with this. i'm just going to take all the ip cameras out and replace them with analog cameras like i have outside and just use the dvr to record them. i have a 16 channel dvr and i set it up to see when i'm away from home so now as the ip cams start to fail i will replace them with the analog cameras and just be done with this mess. i now have a zmodo dvr and 8 cams outside and they record great and i see them no matter where i'm at. the ip cams i have now i see the same but they do not record. i put sd cards in them and those fails so fast that they are not reliable. i installed an nvr and that is giving me so many fits that now i just have it setting on the bench looking at 3 cameras and i can't see these when i'm home or away from home and i have tried just about everything to see them.  thanks for the help

2 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Hi.. instead of setting cameras for remote view it’s going to be much easier to setup your nvr

i want to view them remotely the nvr does record the 3 cameras connect for the testing but i can't see 2 of them away and only 1 good at home the other 2 are so so. half the time they show and then don't. i use the tinycam app and can see all the dvr and ip cams and now and then the nvr cams, so that is why i'm just getting away from the nvr. and the 3 onvif cams i just can't chande even the user name and password so they don't seem very secure to me.   thanks 

I think we have had this discussion before. 

Tinycam is your problem ..... it’s not compatible with every nvr or dvr. Not one app does it all

what make is your nvr and dvr

36 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

I think we have had this discussion before. 

Tinycam is your problem ..... it’s not compatible with every nvr or dvr. Not one app does it all

what make is your nvr and dvr

tom they do not have any make in particular. it very well  may be that the app will not wrok but the ap does find them when i do a search and for the most part see them when home. it see every camera great when away but for the 2 onvif cameras it will not see them at all. and the apps for them even has issues. when gone.

we may have talked about this before i ask a ton of questions about a ton of things and forget some.  so i'm going to not try anymore with the onvif cameras and just set up my system using the analog cameras as the ip cams fail.  again thanks no need to pursue the onvif stuff as it just is not working for me.

ONVIF on cameras has nothing to do with remote view once setup 

you should be using tinycam into NVR not each camera.. 

Have you tried another app

5 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

ONVIF on cameras has nothing to do with remote view once setup 

you should be using tinycam into NVR not each camera.. 

Have you tried another app

i do try to view them directly. the nvr is recording them.  but even though i have the numbers for them in tiny cam i have trouble. that is why i'm going back to the dvr. the only thing i can't do is pan them but for the most part the bullet cams can't pa and the ip cams when i do pan them with the app they go offline and just go into boot loops so i disabled the pan on those cams and now they are like having bullet cams.  

the nvr see's the onvif cam good but i can't get into the onvif cams to change there setting so i can better secure them. they still have the factory settings and i'm not a fan of leaving them set that way. my ip cams let me change the ip and ports so now they are more secure.  thanks for the help i was not asking for any help i replied to a reply about adapters that would let the anaolg cams on the nvr or the nvr cams on the dvr but seems there is no adapters so i will just use the dvr . again thanks for the help on this.