corviarbob

i need some help setting up my modem for the cameras

if this is not the correct area please let me know

i have a bunch of cameras and got help for some of them but this is what i'm running into. the nvr cameras are not letting me see them outside the home. i ported them and still nothing. 

so a guy on the ipcam site is ***ing me out becasue i can't get a vpn for them. i told him i had one for my kodi box when it was part of kodi then i had to start paying for it so i just took out the kodi boxes as i did not really like them

ao this guy keep telling me i can get then for free as in not a penny for the service. and everyone else is telling me that is not possible. he says they are built into most routers and one in particular the asus brand he said it is in the units. i called asus and they told me they do not have vpn's in the unit but i can get a service for them. now getting a service to me means paying for it. paying for it is not an issue but maybe you guys know something about this being ipcam might benefit form have a vpn. 

so what is the scoop on this are they free or are they part of the devices or does the companies the make thiem provide the vpn in the devices? i'm at a loss here. he just will not give it up i even told him i wanted to pay money for the service just to get him past it so we could go into setting up the cameras. and he will not let it go. so maybe you guys can help me out to understand this better. he is getting to the point now of calling an asshole and ideot and a bunch of other names becasue i just can't grasp his thoughts. even other on the site on the same thread are telling different things so the thread is not even on the same page with the rest of the people. t hanks for any help on this. and maybe some can tell me if they have a c3700 modem router unit that has a vpn onti and running. thanks

thanks but nord says my modem will not work. so it seems i may have to get a router and get that connected to the modem. i have a netgear router and have tried a few times to get that thing connected to the modem but it just will not connect. so i was looking to get another newer modem router combo but the ipcam site tells me that will not work? and everyone else says it will so i'm getting confused to what works and what doesn't.  the modem i have now is the c3700 model and it has a built in router. last night i connect the netgear router r6300 to the netgear c3700 modem/router and i can see the 6300 but if i connect to it i can't get on the internet in fact it says no internet. so then i restore the setting on them both and then turned off the ssid on the 3700 modem and the same thing happened. so i reset them both again and this time i turned off the router on the 3700 modem router combo and still i could get on the 6300 router but not the internet the 6300 unit told me it had not internet connection. then it would get on the internet and then it would go off the internet.  the whole time the wifi and internet lights on the 6300 router are lit and seem to say they are on. plus the netgear name was flashing like it was doing stuff.

so before i can do anything with the vpn stuff i first need to get a router that will connect to the internet, so that i do not have issues i figure the combo units are the best way to go. but then i get mixed signals about that.  

i talked to a guy last night that sets up security stuff and he told me i do not need a vpn machine or program/service that the ip address and username and password are all i need and i have to port them. i have a zmodo dvr and i have that ported and changed the username and password and i can see that at home or gone.

i have 5 neo coolcam wifi cameras and i changed the username and password on them and the ports so i do not have to use 80 or 5000 or 80 8080 or 554 and they work good home or gone.

i have 4 onvif cams, sricam, wanscam, sdeter and i do not know the last name it is not on the camera. but i can't change the user names or the passwords or the ports. they use 80 or 5000 or 8080 and most everyone tells me these aren't ports to be leaving open for looking at the cameras. and i agree but i just can't manage to change them. nothing seems to work. i even tried the onvif manage program and that will not change anything on these onvif cameras. and the apps that i have to run them will not show that information so i can't change them from there apps.

so i asked on the other site if there was some type of adapter or converter that would let me take the onvif cameras that use the cat5 cable and convert them so i can use them on a dvr. and then 3 replies later some guy got on his high horse about getting a router with a vpn. he said asus and i called asus and asus told me they do not have router or modems with that installed. so i then found on ebay a guy that sells routers that have the ww-wrt on them but it turns out that is a reflashed unit. so the guy on the other site may have had his reflashed and was trying to tell me to get another router and i did not know he had his reflashed. so that must be how people are getting machines with the vpn stuff on them. netgear also told me on the phone that there machine do not come from the mfg. with vpn on them.

so i'm back at the very beginning, trying to see if i can get the onvnif cameras to connect to a dvr with some type of adapter or converter? if not i will take them offline and just sell them and go back to a dvr, at least i can secure that by being able to change the user information.

thanks 

ok today i deleted the onvif cameras and reinstalled them.  the onvif cameras will not let me change there usernames and passwords no can i change the exports so they just are not secure. after the reset i forwarded the 554 port only. this morning i was at my girls house and i could see the sricam and the sdeter cams  just by having the ip address and the 554 inputted into the tinycam app. so if this will not make them secure then i do  not want to have them on my internet system but just have them on there own internal system to keep any chance of my system getting hacked becasue of open ported cameras.       

so all i want now with the onvif cameras is to have them on my nvr so the nvr can just record just like my zmodo system does. to bad i can't secure them enough to see them when outside the house.

i have other cameras that i was able to change the username and passwords on and also the ports so the ports are way out in left field like passwords and should be harder to hack into.  so if this sounds like it will work i will do this instead of having these onvif cameras on my regular network. if not i will take the system apart and part it out and get more wifi ip cameras that i can change the parameters on and just get big sd cards for them and record internal to them. i tried that on the ones i have now and it was hard to get them to record on they did record but i just could not get the video to play on the app i use. anyway thanks for the help

4 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Why don't you just keep it simple and remote view your NVR instead 

i tried that and the onvif cameras are not stable when out of the house. and like i said this morning after i had to reset my modem i only ported the 554 and i could see 2 of my onvif cams without having any port or usernames or passwords. that is not secure at all. my tiny cam app found them in a few minutes. when i was at my girls house.

so that is why i'm not setting up remote on them. plus i have 5 wifi cams that have the wifi turned off and hardwired to a network switch and then the modem. i can see those good home or away and they are far better for being secure.  thanks

27 minutes ago, corviarbob said:

i tried that and the onvif cameras are not stable when out of the house

Being on NVR ......camera ONVIF has nothing to do with it ...... Your not connecting to the cameras. And that makes it a lot more secure

i have them on an nvr now. but tell me this then if you can? like i said i had to reset the modem router combo i have and then all i did was forward the 554 port. and this morning when i was at my girls house i got on my tinycam app and all i could see what the 4 onvif cameras and i then 2 of the cameras i could se in 2 camera sections each. so i went into the settings and i removed the port the username and password for them and i still saw them. that tells me they are not very secure. that is why i asked if i just ran them on a router all by themselves so i can't see them anymore when gone. but i should at home as i will be inside the routers range.  i understand the nvr connected them all together but it seems those cameras like anything for information to et you see them.  do you understand what i'm saying?  it seems these cameras are not as secure because i can't change any user info on them can't change the username password ports not even the cam name so i have to id the cams by there ip address. this is not very secure.  thanks

You are confusing your own posts ......you don't even need port 554 if using a NVR 

why are you using tinycam ?? 

13 minutes ago, corviarbob said:

i understand the nvr connected them all together but it seems those cameras like anything for information to et you see them.  do you understand what i'm saying

Yes I understand very well ....... But over NVR you only need 1 IP ..... You set the ports you set one user name and password that is the security.

what are the IP address you can't alter are they local or not

if i do not forward it i can't see my cameras away from home. alexey that owns the tiny cam app told me i have to do it. and it says so in the app. sorry but i can oly tell you waht they tell me. thanks

all i asked is if anyone here knows if i can set up a router all by itself and then the nvr to it. must be now one know thanks

8 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

You are confusing your own posts ......you don't even need port 554 if using a NVR 

why are you using tinycam ?? 

Yes I understand very well ....... But over NVR you only need 1 IP ..... You set the ports you set one user name and password that is the security.

what are the IP address you can't alter are they local or not

ok lets start over . does anyone know if i can set up a router any make to be a stand along router and then connect it to a network switch with the nvr so i can only see my cameras when i'm home and can't see them when i gone?  all i want to do is record the camera. is that simple enough? thanks

16 minutes ago, corviarbob said:

all i asked is if anyone here knows if i can set up a router all by itself and then the nvr to it. must be now one know thanks

the answer is simple ..... You connect a router to NVR 

let me me show you how confused your posts are.

53 minutes ago, corviarbob said:

this morning when i was at my girls house i got on my tinycam app and all i could see what the 4 onvif cameras and i then 2 of the cameras i could se in 2 camera sections each. so i went into the settings and i removed the port the username and pa

So you have set up an external IP for each camera ???

29 minutes ago, corviarbob said:

ok lets start over . does anyone know if i can set up a router any make to be a stand along router and then connect it to a network switch with the nvr so i can only see my cameras when i'm home and can't see them when i gone?  all i want to do is record the camera. is that simple enough? thanks

Your right it's simple ....... Just give all cameras a local IP ..... No need for port forwarding... Not while local.

connect a old router direct to NVR and use the local IP of NVR to view cameras on your NVR app ......it's all local and not on the net 

thanks that is what i was asking. i said i do not need to see them when i'm gone. i just want to record the feed form them and when i'm home i can see what going on if i want to. again thanks the other ip cam site said no i can't do this and they want me to get a vpn service or router or what ever. 

i have the ip cams all on there own ip address now. but when i use the tiny cam app i still can't see them when home with out porting them the apps tells you to do it and so does alexy tell yo to do it. so i'm going by wht the developer told me to do with viewing the cameras home and away. thanks for that.

thanks for the help i no longer need any help with this i just took the ip cameras i was trying to get on this setup and tossed them in the garbage. i will go with a zmodo that i know works. again thanks so much for trying to help call this closed and done.