RonZ

IP camera does not work after 100m

I have a IP camera connected to 4 port POE switch that will work at 100m. At 100m I installed a POE extender for another 100m cable run and connected the POE switch and camera and it will not work. All cabling is CAT6 and test fine. Any ideas?

I don't think it's the power that's the issue.  You are trying to run data over a 600' run.  Gigabit ethernet over cat6 has a max distance of 295' although we have a couple PTZ's at 325 that seem to work ok.  I agree with jeromephone.  Use another poe switch instead of an extender and you should be fine.

41 minutes ago, clementsj said:

Gigabit ethernet over cat6 has a max distance of 295' although we have a couple PTZ's at 325 that seem to work ok.  I agree with jeromephone.  Use another poe switch instead of an extender and you should be fine.

1000BaseT, aka: "GigE," has a max length of 100 meters, or 328 feet.  Beyond that you've exceeded the 1000BaseT spec.  Nearly doubling it is guaranteed to fail.  Beyond 100m you need to create a new collision domain, which requires a switch or Ethernet repeater.

And power may be part of the issue.  The longer the run the greater the voltage drop.  Too much voltage drop for the load and there won't be enough to run the device.

In this scenario we need to get a proper idea of how it is cabled.

From my understanding it is:

PoE switch - 100m - PoE extender - 100m - camera

If this does not work but the below does work it would indicate an issue with the extender or potentially the second run of cable being over 100m.

Poe Switch - 100m - camera