Sign in to follow this  
ZiggyStardust

Problems with Hikviosion IVMS CLient

After doing a lot of research we decided to go with Hikvision for our CCTV security system. It seems like they are one of the major players. We kind of hit a snag with the computers we monitor the cameras on. We can view maybe 6 cameras simultaneously but the CPU usage at that point runs a constant 80% and is very, very taxing on the computer. Is that normal at the 6 camera mark? 

We were told by their support early on (about 8 months ago) to alleviate this issue by running all the cameras in sub-stream. That solved the issue for 8 months until the other day. I added a camera and everything went to pieces. Half the cameras would not reconnect. Don't know what changed but when I called Hikvision support they determined that the Lorex cameras we started out with couldn't be ran in sub-stream and needed to run them in main-stream. It seemed to work but why, after running fine for 8 months in sub-stream, would the Lorex camera no longer be able to connect when in sub-stream? 

So we changed the Lorex cameras back to main stream and the CPU usage re-reared its ugly head. I called their support and was told that more memory would drastically improve the situation. I called a second time and was told a Video card would drastically improve the situation. Alas on a third call I was told neither would really help. Well I double the memory from 8 to 16GB and put in a nice little Radeon HD6450 with 1GB and unfortunately my third call in was correct. Neither really helped.

I can't much trust Hikvision tech support. Can anyone offer and suggestion? Maybe a third party client for viewing cameras rather then using the Hikvision supplied IVME? Any suggestions?

On 6/15/2019 at 2:07 PM, ZiggyStardust said:

After doing a lot of research we decided to go with Hikvision for our CCTV security system. It seems like they are one of the major players. We kind of hit a snag with the computers we monitor the cameras on. We can view maybe 6 cameras simultaneously but the CPU usage at that point runs a constant 80% and is very, very taxing on the computer. Is that normal at the 6 camera mark? 

https://papersize.co/

We were told by their support early on (about 8 months ago) to alleviate this issue by running all the cameras in sub-stream. That solved the issue for 8 months until the other day. I added a camera and everything went to pieces. Half the cameras would not reconnect. Don't know what changed but when I called Hikvision support they determined that the Lorex cameras we started out with couldn't be ran in sub-stream and needed to run them in main-stream. It seemed to work but why, after running fine for 8 months in sub-stream, would the Lorex camera no longer be able to connect when in sub-stream? 

So we changed the Lorex cameras back to main stream and the CPU usage re-reared its ugly head. I called their support and was told that more memory would drastically improve the situation. I called a second time and was told a Video card would drastically improve the situation. Alas on a third call I was told neither would really help. Well I double the memory from 8 to 16GB and put in a nice little Radeon HD6450 with 1GB and unfortunately my third call in was correct. Neither really helped.

I can't much trust Hikvision tech support. Can anyone offer and suggestion? Maybe a third party client for viewing cameras rather then using the Hikvision supplied IVME? Any suggestions?

No Suggestions on this forum.

You could try lowering the frame rate FPS to 15 or even 12 on the cameras. And match the I Frame Interval to the same as FPS.