Sign in to follow this  
WHAT2DO

Wired to wireless

Looking for advance on how too and what to purchase. 

I currently have an 8 channel zmodo NVR with all wired cameras. I’m needing to place 2 cameras approximately 500 feet away (as the crow flies)  and would like to purchase a wireless transmitter/receiver kit. 

Other info:The cameras are IP cams, ethernet to mini USB connections. I am able to place the transmitters on raised poles to get better view. The NVR is based out of an RV and the cameras are all out doors with power outlets near by. There is not WiFi in the area to network through. The system is for recording and local monitoring. 

Your going to need to set up a WiFi network in the RV to make this work! I recomend a router/switch with WiFi buiilt in to make it simpler (since this is an RV I would look for a travel router (usualy connects to a 5V cell phone charger for power) so you can connect it to WiFi that a park might provide for your internet, but it is not necessary for this setup). Once you have that setup connect your NVR to one of the 4 network ports on the back of the router with an ethernet cable NOT the single colored port, this is for internet connection from a modem(if you not doing an internet connection just leave this port open)! Next you will need to get a WiFi extender which is just a box that plugs directly into an electrical outlet and a zmodo sPOE repeater to plug your cameras into to get power to your existing cameras. Now the problem with this is price about $60 for the repeater and $30 for the WiFi extender when you can just buy a two pack of Zmodo WiFi cameras for $50, once the WiFi router is set up with your NVR just don't use the other two wired cameras your NVR came with instead use the WiFi cameras! You will need an android or iphone device to configure the WiFi cameras on your network once you have that setup. Botom line is your going to need to plug in you NVR to a WiFi network!

The NVR is 8 channel, we use 6 of them wired. And would like the other two wireless. 

Would it work to keep the 6 cameras the same, and purchase 2 zmodo wireless cameras. Then place a router in the camper with an external antenna so the wireless cameras are able to pick up the network signal from the router and then connect the router to the NVR? This bypassing an extender and zmodo switch box?

We wouldn’t be using internet, but just the local network signal of the router.