aidancar

Distortion on certain cameras

Hello, I have several Q-See cameras installed around my house, some of which get tiny fuzzy looking black dots/lines all around the image. I had taken one of these cameras completely apart and cleaned it, which did not help. The dots do not move around or jitter at all which is what made me originally believe it to be dirt. I then noticed there are some times they will vanish for a day or so before coming back so the dirt option went out the window with that.  All of the cameras are connected to the same 12v 10a power supply which is plugged into the same outlet as the DVR. Any ideas what could be causing this distortion? Thanks

Drive link shows 2 problem cameras and one that never had this issue. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-1XN_uYaZYLHWTEo_w0mVklmH_fGtNN5

your camera doesn't have 3D DNR (noise deduction) function, that's why it has those many black dots when the ir is on.

another possibility is you are using low quality cable (non solid copper) or bad video balun with cat5e cable.

Thanks for your reply, it is likely the low quality cable as you suggested. The issue persists throughout the day as well when the ir is off. It’s strange though, sometimes the distortion will all just go away in one instant. This only lasts for a couple of minutes of course before it returns. 

Here’s a sample: 

that looks like an open shield on the coax. always at the connector that's hardest to reach

open center conductor >> no video

open shield >> video finds ground through another path, but it's noisy