Sign in to follow this  
Opeth

Power supply and splitter

Hello everyone.

Im new to the business and i would like to ask some things to know.

Im planning to install a cctv system to my house. 4 cameras. 3 with 3.1w = 0.3 amp each and one 12.1 w= 1.2 amp. My question is if i use a power supply 12vdc 5amp would be ok? And how the splitter works on amp. It will be power supply 5 amp / 4 outways spillter = 1.25amp??

Let me know guys

10 minutes ago, Opeth said:

Hello everyone.

Im new to the business and i would like to ask some things to know.

Im planning to install a cctv system to my house. 4 cameras. 3 with 3.1w = 0.3 amp each and one 12.1 w= 1.2 amp. My question is if i use a power supply 12vdc 5amp would be ok? And how the splitter works on amp. It will be power supply 5 amp / 4 outways spillter = 1.25amp??

Let me know guys

Hi. Pigtails on 1 power supply always gives problems  ..... you only need 1 camera to have a power fault and it’s takes the rest of your system down 

power supplies are not expensive also distribution box like a 4way would also be a cheaper option 

So you recommeded not use splitter but the box? Is it ok to have more amper to each channel that the camera needs?

Hi. Yes .... your camera will only draw what it needs ..... under amp power units will run hot

power boxes are usually 1.5 / 2amp per output to each cam which is more than enough for your cameras. 

Also what it does not allow for in camera specs are power surges...... this always happens for a few seconds when your camera goes from day mode to night mode 

.... moving filters and switching IR on 

it’s always best to have more power than what you need. 

So i need 0.3 amp for 3 cameras that goes 1 amp approx. And 1.25 amp for the motorized camera. So if i get 4 way box 5amp. my 4th camera should be ok? Because im 5 amp / 4 way is at the limit of my 4th camera amp.

I think what you're trying to do will work.

supply 5 amp / 4 outways spillter = 1.25amp??  This part is correct

If it's  definitely a 5 amp this PSU will do the job.