Sign in to follow this  
Opeth

Help with video power balun

Im planing to install a 4 cctv system to a house. Each camerahas power 6,6w. Im using 12vdc 5 amp power supply. My problem is with my balun and if the baluns i have can transmit without any problem power to camera for how long? 100m? 200m?. Not video. Power.

I will attached a photo of package of balun and i waiting your answers.

Screenshot_20190815-150344_Alibabacom.jpg

Screenshot_20190815-193905_Alibabacom.jpg

The distance the power travels through your baluns will depend on a few things. One is the power requirements of the cameras which will be 12v and 0.55amp based on the information you have provided. The other is the thickness of the cable you will be using to transmit the power as a thinner cable will lead to more volt drop over the run of the cable. The packaging on the baluns provides some information on this for you. E.g if you want to run a 12v, 0.5amp camera (yours have a slightly higher amp requirement) over 24 AWG cable for 100m your power supply will need to be outputting 15.5 volts as over the length of the run it will drop to the 12 volts your camera requires.

The general rule is the longer the run the less voltage you get at the camera end and you have to compensate for this by providing more volts at the power supply end.

On my first picture there are 2 kinds of balun. If i use the second one with 24v power supply will be ok? Because it say from 24-36v the balun can convert to 12vdc. Is there a possibility to burnt my camera?

And on the balun that i pictured if i use 23 awg with power supply 12v will cover the slight different of voltage?

Thank you

And also if i use 15.5v power supply for 12vdc 1 amp depending on balun and the distance is less than 50m will burnt out the camera?

The way it would seem that second balun works is that you provide the balun at the camera end with 24-36V DC and it will convert it to 12v DC which will then fine for the camera. I have not used these like that myself but have used convertors in the past to convert 24v to 12v and it looks like this would work in a similar fashion. With that in mind a 12v psu would not do the job and it would need to be receiving 24-36v at the end of the run.

In terms of burning a camera out by using 15.5v then yes for example if put that much power on a 1m run for a camera then there would be minimal power drop and the camera would receive most of that power. This is obviously higher than the 12v it needs and you could well burn it out.