Bluenose1940

Accessing system away from home.

Hello folks,  I have a two camera Hikvision CCTV setup whereby in my office I have the NVR which is connected to a monitor and to the internet via a Netgear Switchbox.  The two cameras are connected directly into the back of the NVR.

I can view the camera images using Hik-Connect and iVMS4500 on my HTC Android phone when I am at home using my own Wi-FI and, I can also log into the images via Hik-Connect through IE on my computer.  I can also view the images using iVMS4200 by clicking on the icon on my desktop computer.

All of this is fine but, if I am away from home and try to make a connection with my system by using the Wi-Fi available wherever I might be staying or, by using my data allowance on my mobile phone, it fails every time and I just cannot get a connection, I get various error messages such as 'Connection Failed' or 'The device is off-line'.  I know for a fact that the device is definitely not off-line.

Has anyone got any ideas as to how I might be able to overcome this problem please?

I was away in Lincolnshire for a few days recently and I tried on numerous occasions to make a connection but without any joy.

Any help offered will be very much appreciated.  thank you.

2 hours ago, andriens said:

You must open ports on your router or use P2P.

Thank you for your input andriens.

Can you be more specific please.  When you say 'open ports' is this the same as a term that I have heard that mentions 'Port Forwarding'?  As I say, I have heard the term but I don't know what it means.

Also, What is P2P?

Is there a set of instructions anywhere that would explain this in detail?  I'm a 79 year old wrinkley and will need a bit of guidance on this.

Thanks again for coming in on this.

When you say 'open ports' is this the same as a term that I have heard that mentions 'Port Forwarding'?

Yes, look your router up at portforward.com for instructions for port forwarding.

On 9/16/2019 at 11:23 AM, 51cent said:

Yes, look your router up at portforward.com for instructions for port forwarding.

I have spoken to Sky, my Broadband supplier, and they have told me that it is completely unnecessary for me to do any 'Port Forwarding' and that I should be able to achieve what I want without recourse to this action.

The fact that I can view images via Hik-Connect and iVMS4500 on my phone using the Wi-Fi in my home would surely indicate that I am 'almost there' as regards a fully functioning connection.  I can also view all images through my desktop computer using iVMS4200.  Additionally I can also log into the images by typing in the IP address into Internet Explorer on my computer and view images from both cameras using HikVision

My thoughts are that I must be really close to a complete and fully functioning setup but, there is obviously some small detail missing somewhere.

Does anyone know if there are any competent techie people around the Exeter area that might be able to help with this problem in a face to face meeting.

HI with mentioning sky ... your in the uk

yes there right as you get a static IP address with them.

there are two types of IP address you need

one is local which is something like 192.168.x.x.  ..... which you have set up right and it’s your local ip which is allowing you to view while at home.

to view while away from home you just need to add a external IP address which you will find by clicking on this link .... the number at the top is your external ip 

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

in your device list list go to edit and replace your local ip with the one from the link ... click save and your done.

Hello again tomcctv, I have another question please.  I notice that the link that you have provided for me refers to Exeter, you have probably used this location because I mentioned 'The Exeter area' in my post above.  I actually live in Exmouth, does that change anything?

Thanks again for your help.

Hi the link provided only checks your network 

if it shows Exeter based that means that’s we’re sky server is located which is providing your home with internet

if you don’t trust it just google what is my ip 

but you will find it will shop same ip as my link

I have just input the new IP Address for the iVMS4500 on my phne and it all seems OK but I will try it when I am away from home this afternoon and will report back to you.  I am really grateful for your help with this.

I have just tried to do the same with Hik-Connect on my phone but if I click on remote configuration at the bottom of the screen it is telling me to 'Configure DDNS' first.  On the first page of the settings it is showing 'Not Set' against 'Configure DDNS' and if I ignore that and try to click on 'Remote Configuration' at the bottom, I then get the message 'Configure DDNS first'  When I go into the DDNS page I can see the 'device name' the Server Port number which is 8000 and the HTTP Port number is 80 and the Port mapping mode is set to 'Manual'

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again.

Hello again tomcctv.  After following your instructions I managed to do a bit of extra jiggling about with bits of trial and error with the system and yesterday, whilst away from home I managed to get into my images perfectly.  I used both Hik-Connect and iVMS4500 and they were both spot-on.

I would just like to thank you for coming in on my problem and pointing me in the right direction with the IP address.  So it's a great big thank you from me.