scg1889

Camera issues at night

Hi wonder if you could help me troubleshoot an issue. At night one of my cameras shows briefly in colour, then black & white but with a "version" and "power" message on the screen, then "no video". If the security light comes on its fine and fine in the day. I take it there's an issue with the infra red? The red light isn't on on the camera at night. Should I just replace the camera or would it be fixable? Any help welcome, thanks in advance. Couple of screenshots attached.Screenshot_20200908-202208_Hik-Connect.thumb.jpg.ef990f8c31745b432fbf4d54362861a2.jpgScreenshot_20200908-202202_Hik-Connect.thumb.jpg.cf0d5e063184beb55ec02e0ffff9fff6.jpg

Hi. You have a power supply problem 

in colour you camera uses less power than night mode with IR on. 

as soon as night comes your camera is not getting enough power to even switch to night mode

5 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Hi. You have a power supply problem 

in colour you camera uses less power than night mode with IR on. 

as soon as night comes your camera is not getting enough power to even switch to night mode

OK makes sense. The power had totally failed about 6 months ago and replaced the cabling to it - you now have me questioning whether I've ever checked it at night! ? Pretty sure I have.....Would it be the cables that were the issue? They were pretty cheap

Hi. Yes it can also be cables if the conductor cables are thin but this would give you problems if long runs. 

what size power supply are you using 

14 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Hi. Yes it can also be cables if the conductor cables are thin but this would give you problems if long runs. 

what size power supply are you using 

On the actual power supply unit, sorry not very good with electrics? It's input 100-240v 50-60hz output 12v 5A. Have another camera that is probably a little further away than the one with the issie

1 hour ago, tomcctv said:

How many cameras do you have connected to your power unit

Hi have 4 cameras in total. They were always all fine at night for several years. do you think the power supply could be the issue or are is it more likely to be the cable? Thanks for all your help so far it's appreciated ??

Hi yes it sounds like a power problem .... they do get weak over time 

also 5amp for 4 cameras is in tolerance but does give some problems sometimes 

say cameras are 1amp run in day time colour =4amp ...... but at night switch over cameras need more power to switch IR on and to move the lens filter 4 cameras with only 1amp left .... a surge takes your 5amp to its max ..... you can till if this is a problem ...... at night hold your power supply and instead of warm it is hot. 

I would get another 5amp power supply and run two cameras on each. 

another test you can do tonight is remove a working camera from your power supply and leave the rest including your faulty one and see if it stays on all night

I am sorry for my English:)

Check dc connection and check voltage in night 

may be oxidation

What is the cable length?

It is CU cable? 

the easiest thing is to put another power supply unit

12 hours ago, scg1889 said:
13 hours ago, tomcctv said:

On 9/14/2020 at 8:50 PM, tomcctv said:

Hi yes it sounds like a power problem .... they do get weak over time 

also 5amp for 4 cameras is in tolerance but does give some problems sometimes 

say cameras are 1amp run in day time colour =4amp ...... but at night switch over cameras need more power to switch IR on and to move the lens filter 4 cameras with only 1amp left .... a surge takes your 5amp to its max ..... you can till if this is a problem ...... at night hold your power supply and instead of warm it is hot. 

I would get another 5amp power supply and run two cameras on each. 

another test you can do tonight is remove a working camera from your power supply and leave the rest including your faulty one and see if it stays on all night

Hi thanks for that idea it was certainly a root cause I'd favour save me messing with pulling cables out of walls! Alas I took 2 cameras out and issue was the same, even tried an unplug of the recorder in desperation but obviously still the same

Ok try some more tests. 

we’re are you based ?

just noticed two other things in your picture

first you are showing remote login pictures. Do you have a monitor connected 

plus it looks like your connected to cloud and your camera ID also shows Cam1@793593...

which looks like XMeye server. 

also in your picture you camera shows OSD (on screen display) and it’s showing POC 

(power over coax) is this how your cameras are powered ..... coax and power cable to cameras or just coax

38 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Ok try some more tests. 

we’re are you based ?

just noticed two other things in your picture

first you are showing remote login pictures. Do you have a monitor connected 

plus it looks like your connected to cloud and your camera ID also shows Cam1@793593...

which looks like XMeye server. 

also in your picture you camera shows OSD (on screen display) and it’s showing POC 

(power over coax) is this how your cameras are powered ..... coax and power cable to cameras or just coax

Hi I'm based in UK. I don't have a monitor currently attached to my box (though I can) so pics were from the hikvision app. I've attached a pic of back of my box if any help (sorry its a little "busy" round there)  I know one of the leads has a power extension on it I can't remember which one would have to undo the conduit and try and work it out. When I first moved in the camera with the power extension wouldn't work due to the extension been faulty so put new power extension in - if it was that though would it be work/doesn't work rather than not enough power? 

20200915_221551.jpg

13 hours ago, Andrey Ukraine CCTV said:

I am sorry for my English:)

Check dc connection and check voltage in night 

may be oxidation

What is the cable length?

It is CU cable? 

the easiest thing is to put another power supply unit

Hi thanks for the contact Andrey. Bought the cable in 20m length. I have a camera about the same length away if not a little further than the problem one. Can't get the full details of the cable as no longer listed on ebay but do have a screenshot of the summary if that's any help?

Screenshot_20200915-212116_eBay.jpg

Hi. cable kits not good ...... not even 75ohm. Your faulty camera will be one of the yellow bnc 

there are 100s of posts on here about those cable kits.... no good for power no good for video

can you change the leads easy ?  How far are the cameras on the yellow leads

7 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Hi. cable kits not good ...... not even 75ohm. Your faulty camera will be one of the yellow bnc 

there are 100s of posts on here about those cable kits.... no good for power no good for video

can you change the leads easy ?  How far are the cameras on the yellow leads

It will be a bit of a ball ache swapping the cables but have done it before and don't really have much choice I guess! Do you have a link to an example that would be off sufficient quality? Again, thanks for all your help 

Hi I would do it in cat5 ..... saves doing any more cable work in the future 

cat5 will run analog HD analog and IP cameras 

you can also run more than 1 camera down cat5

On 9/17/2020 at 1:41 PM, tomcctv said:

Hi I would do it in cat5 ..... saves doing any more cable work in the future 

cat5 will run analog HD analog and IP cameras 

you can also run more than 1 camera down cat5

Thanks. Most of the cable I've seen has at the end what I'd call at network /ethernet connection can that end piece be taken off to get to the 4 coloured wires or would I need to buy it with the 4 coloured wires exposed? I came across this article does this detail what I need to do and show the connections that I'd need to buy? https://www.cctv42.co.uk/help-advice/installation/how-do-you-use-cat5-cable-to-wire-a-cctv-system/

Thanks for all your help ?

Hi. Yes that is the idea .... but I would not use that type of balun that last used in the description 

What length of cat5 are you looking for ?

43 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Hi. Yes that is the idea .... but I would not use that type of balun that last used in the description 

What length of cat5 are you looking for ?

It'd be 20metres 

12 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Ok we’re are you located ?

there is patch cable and solid cat5 .... it’s the solid you need

Leeds, England. Thanks Tom

1 hour ago, scg1889 said:

Leeds, England. Thanks Tom

20m works out around £6 

toolstation 304m £62 

then you need baluns 

check your pm  .... there only a few miles from you   And you will get everything