Uncle Freddy

Exterior Surveillance Camera / 1 year continuous ??

hello ..I am looking for recommendations for a simple security camera that I can fix to the side of my house to capture 1 full year (continuous, non stop 24 hours a day for 365 days) surveillance of neighbor's activity, no panning or movement, a fixed spot ....I am pretty sure this would have to be AC powered, although I'd prefer battery .....but I am sure battery life hard to monitor if camera mounted on facia board up high .....any help, assist or recommendations highly appreciated, thank you 

• Confused 1

On 9/23/2020 at 7:56 AM, Uncle Freddy said:

surveillance of neighbor's activity 

bruh that is creepy as hell and I'm pretty sure it's not even legal. I do not recommend doing it AT ALL if you don't want them comming up to your front door or calling the police. I have a neighbour whose turret camera points to my backyard, so I put a bullet camera on the face and point it right at their camera as a form of revenge. It might even blind their camera at night.

But jokes aside, any systems should work, wireless or wired, network or analog. Even the cheap kits on ebay. Just get a proper surveillance hard drive for it. Don't use a standard desktop drive. However, it would be difficult to store an entire year's footage. How many cameras would you be using and at what resolution and frame rate? Would you only record when motion is detected, or at all time? Because for a single camera running at 720p and 15 fps, you will need a 4TB disk drive.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

all is pursuit of a law suit, it IS legal as long as the camera is on my property ....single, small unobtrusive camera .....it only has to capture people being outside on their property on the side of their house that faces ours, nothing fancy or high end, no motion detect ON, ON 24/7 but no need to capture night, only day time .....need to capture how often they are out on their property on this side of their house for many months, one year ideal .....thanks for the reply & assist ....

50 minutes ago, Uncle Freddy said:

all is pursuit of a law suit, it IS legal as long as the camera is on my property ....single, small unobtrusive camera .....it only has to capture people being outside on their property on the side of their house that faces ours, 

Hi. If camera is on your property and recording your property that’s fine ..... but to place a camera to monitor 24/7 someone else’s property and people you might find the law suit being on you. 

also take into account footage retention the DP act for your area. 

you are best talking to a lawyer at your local city/ town hall and get the right advice. 
also using a small unnoticeable camera  also known as covert or spy camera watching other people can also be another legal problem for you. 

a years footage is just a waste of time and no court will allow it..... it would also take a year for your legal people and the court to watch. 

I would get a 4 way ip system with at least one camera with audio 

And set it up with good wide lens covering your property 

which state are you in ?

• Thanks 1

WA state ....let me clarify, this camera can be set as security camera for our property one our property for for capturing video on the back side of our home, but it is set at angle that will also capture front area of next door neighbor's property in background.....in court, legally, this footage can be presented as admissible because it was capturing our property as security with their property in background ......additionally, nobody would have to watch a years worth, it can merely be ultra fast forwarded to count how many times our neighbors are seen using the property on that side of their house ....whether or not our neighbors see the camera is not a concern, it's our home, and taping security video of the back of it is totally legal .....

Hi.  You are absolutely right .... except your definition 

Washington state has a very strict code of practice for home use cctv. 

cctv can be used for security of your property and footage used in court.  

you can’t use footage of someone else’s property ....... it’s not classed as your security  it’s just part of your cameras field of view 

length of footage to be held .... state of Washington the law is 31 days....... yes you can record for months but it gives problems if your showing footage 60 days ago 

it is still best to call into your country office and get the regulations for your area

15 hours ago, Uncle Freddy said:

whether or not our neighbors see the camera is not a concern, it's our home, and taping security video of the back of it is totally legal 

That is also right ? ...... but you answered you own question  it’s our home

but Watching  others on there land with your camera is not watching your home