couper

Couper could use some input on cameras

So here I am. I've ran all my cat6, aprox 800 ft. Nine cameras outside and two inside. My home is a basic raised ranch and I'll have 3 camera's monitoring the front porch, 2nd floor deck and the patio under the deck. All about 10' high shooting a 40' length. Lets call the entry's into the house at 20'.  Then I'll have 1 in each corner about 15' high that I'd like to go out aprox 50'. One on the pool and one on the pond both aprox 15' high going out 35'. On the inside, one on the front door 10' away and one on the gun safe at 20'

Now that you have an idea of what I have I'm looking for input on camera / nvr suppliers. I've done a lot of research as to the size of the lenses and I see backstreet has some decent buy 3 get 1 free pricing. A fixed lense for the porch, deck patio area https://www.backstreet-surveillance.com/buy-3-get-4/ultra-hd-vandal-dome-camera-black-4-pack.html   and a manual zoom for the higher mounted further view spots  https://www.backstreet-surveillance.com/buy-3-get-4/ultra-hd-vandal-dome-zoom-camera-gray.html  

I'm thinking this NVR with an 8TB hard drive https://www.backstreet-surveillance.com/ip-security-camera-systems/nvr-video-recorders/4k-nvr-network-video-recorder-16-channels.html      They don't have a 12 channel and the 16 is only 100.00 more than there 8. The 8T hard drive would be this https://www.backstreet-surveillance.com/cctv-parts/surveillance-hard-drives/8-terabyte-internal-hard-drive.html

The site says 1 week of record time for 16 cameras so I figure at 11 I'll get a little more.

I'm looking for suggestions on a supplier or manufacturer that is solid. And also some input on my camera choices as far as lense size goes. I appreciate any input you guys / gals can offer. Id like to get this installed before it gets too cold .

Thanks Much!

Couper

Hi. You need to understand and read specs on all equipment and your links are old equipment so all ready out of date and those prices are crazy even the hard drive $345 ......you can buy direct from seagate for half that

the recorder has limits to the point it is best run with 2mp cameras and not 5mp as it restricts the number of channels you can watch live. 
this shows you that it’s a H264 system and hard drive storage also shows its h264

the system ..... cameras and nvr are not forward compatible ..... if you wanted to add another camera in a year or so IP cameras now are H265 along with nvrs

I would say take your time and look at other purchase options 

Tom,

Thanks for that reply...... I know nothing about the tech side of this. Is there a chance you could make a recomondation for camera's and an nvr? I will look up seagate

Thanks for anything you could offer.

Couper

I also got a quote from B&H for the items below. Would you be able to give me your input on these?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1418905-REG/dahua_technology_n44cg52_pro_series_4mp_outdoor.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1384903-REG/dahua_technology_n51bi23_5mp_fixed_eyeball_network.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1337639-REG/dahua_technology_n42b2p_8_channel_nvr_4k_poe.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1068032-REG/wd_wdbgkn0040hnc_nrsn_4tb_desktop_surveillance_hard.html

This was when I thought I would only need 8 camera's but I need 11 so I would need more channels in then NVR and a bigger HD. 

I'd really like a manual zoom so I could adjust best for my distance.

Thank you so much for your time.

Couper

I went to see another cctv shop today. He recommended DVR versus NVR an analog system versus IP. His reasoning was the camera's are simplier and the system is easier to set up and maintain. Does this seem valid?  Something he recommended that I did like was manual zoom lens so I could tweek them in. He's working me up a quote

My first issue.....which is easily resolved is I ran cat6 and already put the ends on. Actually my son put them on and tested them. He won't be happy......

Whatda think?

Couper

7 hours ago, couper said:

He recommended DVR versus NVR an analog system versus IP. His reasoning was the camera's are simplier and the system is easier to set up and maintain.

Hi.    Sales crap .... sign of someone not knowing the business. 
And he will not be 4K 

hd analog camera .... can’t firmware update 

why easy to maintain .... only needs a wipe with damp cloth

8 hours ago, couper said:

manual zoom lens so I could tweek them in. He's working me up a quote

Not heard that in years .... manual zoom ... was on box camera lens ..... we call it varifocal lens now. 
but with 8mp cameras you also have digital zoom in the software 

8 hours ago, couper said:

The one you recommeded seems very reasonable at 999.00

And then there is this one

which the chat rep said he could sell for 2499. 

both systems will be more than enough for the install you talked about .... the functions you need are on both systems and some functions you would not use

is it worth the extra $1.500 ..... to be honest you will not see any difference 

with the link I sent you .... you can use some of your $1.500 saving and also add this for your system 

https://www.lorextechnology.com/AY41TR-KTK1-MTK1-1-p

$69 .... for two wireless sensors that link to the system wirelessly..... so ideal for garages work sheds pool gates ...... you can add up to 10 sensors in and out of your home turning it into an alarm system as well as cctv 

And you still have $1000 left over 

the reason why I recommend lorex is they make the equipment it’s not 3rd party sales

Thank you Tom. Much appreciated. I am going to take your advice and order the less expensive set up you recommended. I have plenty of places I can use those sensors as well.

Thanks again

Cool Beans Tom..... this is what I went with. Thank you for your input. I won't have any problems with the install. Hopefully I get get thru the program set up stuff.

https://www.lorextechnology.com/4k-security-camera/4k-ultra-hd-ip-nvr-security-camera-system-with-8-ip-cameras/4KSDAI168D-2-1-p    1299.00

I needed 3 more cameras at 189.00 each  https://www.lorextechnology.com/site/E892DD-Series-1-p

Bought 9 of these weatherproof boxes from Backstreet at I think 230.00  M-5 (mounting Instructions) 

I'll let you know how it goes..... thank you for your help!

Hi. You got that at a good price ?

cable management boxes are also helpful but they can cause condensation parts of the year. Your cameras have extra leads that your not going to use .... so wrap some electrical tape around then   

as  far as install. You will enjoy it. 
the trick is not to read the manual until you need to start setting up motion and other settings. 

first put nvr were needed  ....... install first camera switch on nvr ...... make a coffee then you will see nvr has set your camera up .... then just keep connecting cameras ...... they don’t connect right away it take a minute or so

let us know ?

Hi Tom,

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving....we had a nice time here. My system is in. My camera placement worked out very well and I think the resolution is awesome.

I am however having a hard time trying to download or even find the app to view on my windows 10 laptop. The page I found has an android icon and an apple icon but no windows 10. I'm gona try calling them on Monday but I have called about 2 other items and the women I talked to in Tech was far from helpful......I'm being nice. The paperwork that comes with the system is not very good either. Any idea where I can find what I need?

Awesome advice on what to buy Tom.....the pictures are very clean & clear.

Couper

Hi. Support can be hit and miss on any product .... most of the time there reading from a manual and have never been hands on with there own product.... all depends on how good the service operator is ..... 3 weeks before he or she could of been working at McDonald’s   

software you need I will pm you and instructions 

Managed to get it downloaded to the wife's smartphone but what I downloaded to my pc has no content. I have the program but no camera's

I'm in good shape....took a few calls but all straightened out. Speakers and alarms working, microphones disabled (to protect the guilty) ? 

Took some time to narrow the alarm area's so the phone wasn't ringing off the hook but working pretty well now!

Couper

9 hours ago, couper said:

I'm in good shape....took a few calls but all straightened out. Speakers and alarms working, microphones disabled (to protect the guilty) ? 

Took some time to narrow the alarm area's so the phone wasn't ringing off the hook but working pretty well now!

Couper

Nice to hear your up and running ......it will take you a few months to get to know your system inside out and become a hobby. 

audio - I would keep your microphones on at important areas like your main front door and driveway area..... it is just as important as a camera in these locations 

recording audio state laws  (public space)

what state laws don’t explain properly is microphone use. 
they only explain public space like shop/stores gas station place of work and public streets and areas

recording people’s own private conversations is illegal 

private domestic home. ( your own property)

as people are entering a private property they have no protection of privacy in both video and audio 

people can also have verbal abuse on there own property so front door and car space audio is just as important 

cctv is a second set of eyes and ears

nice to see you got all sorted in a short time

Yes.....I'm sure it will take some time and possibly a few more calls. Understood on the audio. Trying to veiw playback this morning and see the screen but no video to be seen. I may not be recording. I'll be messing with this for some time I'm sure.

Thank you

Good Afternoon,

Hope all is well. I happen to have covid right now but am getting along fine. I've been using the basics of my Lorex system and it seems to work pretty well. Since I'm stuck home I'm trying to program in the alerts area and am having some trouble.....the support folks are very hard to understand. I could use some help if you have the time. I've set up the areas of concern with the orange grid and have them set. I'd like to set different times for different areas and don't understand if the on time is the yellow or blank. I also don't understand how to send the alert to my phone. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Couper