LaxeyStu

Help required - viewing JPG2000 feed on phone

Hello, I'm helping a friend set-up his JPG2000 stand alone DVR. He'd like to view the feed on his phone, but we're struggling. I know it's an old system now, but I'd like to see if we can do it.

Is it simply a matter of feeding the network cable into a router port?

Will an IP camera app then be able find this feed?

The JPG2000 manual gives the details of how to setup the IP config, DDNS, DHCP etc. 

I have been unable to get into the router setup to see if that helps.

The home broadband setup is a little complicated because there is a BT hub, a pair of extenders, and then a wire connection to a router, to which the JPG2000 is fed into.

Apologies if I'm being naive in expecting this to work. I'm a novice, and we're just trying to see if we can see the feed.

Thanks for any help. Cheers

Hi. You will just be wasting your time    Also being in the uk the recorder is also useless as a cctv system if needed footage for court. 

Most of your problems are going to be software licence on the recorder ..... like the Java licence..... it will have ran out years ago the other problem if using a smartphone... no software

would be much easier buying a cheap £40 analog recorder

Thanks. The unit does work in the sense that it records. We can find sections of recording based on time/date and so on. In the past the police have taken it away and extracted recordings.

It clearly produces a feed which you can connect to a router.

My friend thinks it should be plug/play like the recent systems he has bought - the cameras now you do just plug in, launch the app and there it is.  This older DVR isn't like that I think.

12 hours ago, LaxeyStu said:

It clearly produces a feed which you can connect to a router.

Hi. I don’t understand what you mean about feed. 

network connection which is data (IP) internet protocol which can be h264 or h265 

your recorder will produce mjpeg and jpeg ..... massive file sizes   Not used in last 15 -20 years ...... if you have a old windows 7 and a old Nokia phone from 20 years ago you might get it to work windows7 you will need software to see the cameras and connect to recorder which you can’t get for modern devices 

Your thread is a bit like this. 

I have a VHS video recorder that I slide a cassette into ..... I want to slide a DVD disk into it instead can you help

The DVR unit works with a monitor, which shows the camera views. There's an HDD which records. There is also a network signal which can be connected with a cable to a router (this is in the manual). The IP settings and the test are also in the manual. My friend was told that this signal could be 'read' or viewed by an app on a phone or laptop. The manual is a bit unclear about exactly what the available functionality is.

Whether that is as ridiculous as feeding DVD into a VHS player I don't know, but I haven't had much/any experience with networks.

Thanks again

4 hours ago, LaxeyStu said:

I don't know what exactly is provided by the signal out. I'm just trying to see how far I can get and give him a clear answer.

Everything I have posted is in your manual...... yet you still think there is away around it. 

and again he can’t use this system in any uk business recording the public 

look up 

cif resolution.........usless

windows 7 comparable .......not above

no apps developed to use on smartphones or devices

you can do a Java script but it will only give you a 280x280 image not video so pointless 

if you don’t understand it is too old for modern day network devices and also too old for uk use as cctv by law.