kao

Anyone heard of this zoom camera?

Camera that you mount to look at a specific spot (say a gas station pump lane) and you can program the camera (not dvr software) to zoom in to a specific area for X amount of time when motion is detected by the camera.

Anyone have a link or model number they can drop?

Bosch has a PTZ with motion tracking ... basically what you want is something that also has presets ..

I am not sure if this is what you are referring to, but a few years back I had heard about a box camera with built in PTZ, it was a high res camera with digital zoom that would zoom in on motion. The downside was that when it zoomed, it digitally zoomeed into a small section of the picture and magnified it. The video out would only be the part that was magnified, and the resolution would be reduced based on the percentage of image that was expanded. It was much less practical than zooming in on a DVR image. I have not heard anything about them since...must not have caught on very well.

I heard about this camera from a potential customer. They were give a demo of it recently by a competing company, but they like us and want to see if we can get it for them.

They couldnt get a name or model number but it doesnt sound like a PTZ camera.

It sounds like a box type camera with an optical zoom lens.

Pretty much what vf702 posted only using optical rather than digital zoom.

It is programmable on the camera itself...to program it they hooked up a small lcd display and went thru a menu on the cameras on screen display.

This solution sounds like it would work well for some of our bank and retail customers without the expense of a full blown PTZ camera.

Well its not from a Major brand .. so it cant be that good .. otherwise one of them would have it also ..

Check out http://www.covitechnologies.com/ Covi cameras are great you can set up three ZUP (zoom under picture) zones per shot. I've used them several times and they work great. I've also seen them in use at a lot of banks here. This might be what you're looking for.