egnuol

Cat5e cable converted from com cable

Can I use regular com cable 6 pair solid 30 ga. wire for Cat5e cable? I can terminate the ends with ethernet terminals. Thanks

Hi no you can’t it is no good for data 

you need twisted pair and nothing less than 24agw 

how far are you transmitting and do you have power at location 

I will be traveling about 60' from the main router to the extended router. About half of that is underground and no way to replace it. This com cable is already there and yes there is power. How much of a twist is considered twisted? This solid copper is .100 thousand so I figured it is 30 gauge.

Thanks, Darrel

22 minutes ago, egnuol said:

How much of a twist is considered twisted?

All of the cable it twisted and should be cat5 24 agw at the least ....... you can ask as many times as you like about telecom cable it does not work ...... or we wouldn’t need cat5

now your camera .... it’s Wi-Fi ..... that’s wireless anyway ... does it not reach ?

another option is network plugs ...... not network cable needed as long as both areas are powered from the same display ....... and use a switch at camera end of more than 1 camera used ...... also saves using another router

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.tp-link.com/uk/powerline-adapter/

The wifi camera's work most of the time but not satisfactorily. After further checking gauge and charts, the cable I have is 22AWG. This morning a phone tech was here to check internet problems and he mentioned the plug-in line extenders as well. He also said I shouldn't have any problem with the com cable if I decide to go that route. A phone company representative is suppose to contact us for further information on maybe upgrading. Thanks, Darrel

Well your phone tech guy must be right.... must of been trained while working at McDonald’s 

old telecom untwisted is analog signal only

distance you need requires network digital so must be cat5 

well you have 5 posts repeating same question and the answers are the same

17 minutes ago, egnuol said:

he mentioned the plug-in line extenders as well.

For $30 they solve your problem 

Maybe I have sounded difficult with my questions, I get the same from customers in the machine shop business. I am no expert in electronics and that is why I came to this forum. I have read in some forums that they are intended for professional comments. It looks as though the plug-ins might work OK. 

Thanks for your help,

Darrel

Howell Machine, LLC

you could use that cable by using a device that basically sets up a DSL net.  We have used a device from Patton.  We had to use this type of thing where the building to building was only connected by old buried cable.  Limited band with and look into lightening protection.  If you can do it use the old cable to pull in new cat5e.  That may be the cheaapest way to go.

Thanks Jerome,  I will check that option also. The cable could be used for pulling but it is our last resort to replace it with Cat5e. It is very hard to get to and replace it. We are looking into power line extenders right now but not sold on them either. Thanks again,,--Darrel

1 hour ago, egnuol said:

What is a good power line extender?

On 1/9/2021 at 3:29 PM, tomcctv said:

All of the cable it twisted and should be cat5 24 agw at the least ....... you can ask as many times as you like about telecom cable it does not work ...... or we wouldn’t need cat5

now your camera .... it’s Wi-Fi ..... that’s wireless anyway ... does it not reach ?

another option is network plugs ...... not network cable needed as long as both areas are powered from the same display ....... and use a switch at camera end of more than 1 camera used ...... also saves using another router

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.tp-link.com/uk/powerline-adapter/