Sign in to follow this  
VanAukenFudge

Night surveillance pickup bed build

I live in a beach town on the U.S.'s east coast. I work at a restaurant in the vicinity of a movie theater. I Park my truck in the back where I and my coworkers' park all our vehicles. Supposedly there is a camera watching that parking lot but I know not where it is. I also run a small business on the side, and this problem has occurred to I in other locations. Thieves keep stealing any good of any value from my pickup bed. I have complained about it, but all I get is "Dont have anything of value in your pickup bed." This is not unlike my 5yr old daughter being told to coverup and not be tantalizing to her male teachers. 

I am thinking of installing a night vision surveillance system in my pickup bed. I just need to know precisely which camera and which IR led light string to buy. 

I understand human eyes can only see light between 740 and 380nm wavelengths. That IS the visible light spectrum. Below 380 exists ultraviolet, and longer than 740 exists infrared. Outside those limits exists 'invisible to human eyes' light.  I read that 850nm has an undesirable slight red glow to it, and 940nm does not whith the ability to penetrate more.

therefore I seek the 940nm IR led light strip. This strip I want to 'bolt' to my bed's inner perimeter to enable the pinhole camera to record everything. The camera need not have an onboard SD card (actually I prefer it not to have this feature) for it will be connected by wire to a labtop in my truck's back seat. Continuous recording therefore is a must. 

My truck bed measures about 4' wide by 6' long. My campershell is 4 ft tall, so I don't need too much 'illumination' to 'illuminate' the thief's face that will be recorded by camera in the bed's front. The space between he bed lip and the sheet metal near the cab measures about 1.5" X 1.5" by 4 ft wide. Anything in this space is hidden less you look up behind the overhanging bed lip at the bed's front. 

If anybody has a build they wanted to do, or wish they had done, speak up!

Hi. 
a camera is still not going to stop anyone removing things from your bed 

bed toolbox or bed slide lid will stop items from being removed 

but if you want to install a camera a laptop and camera plus ir is expensive option 

look at the BlackVue system  700 or 900 units 2 cam kit 

monitor your truck 24/7 with motion detection....... get realtime video to your phone if bed of truck is entered full audio listen and talk 

yes it’s a bit of money to spend but your also getting one of the best dashcams on the market... view from anywhere in the world 

built in tracker and speed log both front and rear cameras

Realtime video to my phone: not an option. I have a flipphone, I want it connected to my laptop in my back seat that will be recording the video. The labtop I already own. Actually I already own everything I think I need save for the camera and IR strip. 

actually preventing the thief from stealing my goods: not my goal.

my goal is to build a log of thieves, a portfolio if you will. And hand it to the police once I have acquired enough videotapes. Robbery from a vehicle is a misdemeanor with a punishment up to 2 yrs in jail. No, I want to NAIL the repeat offenders and hold them accountable. I want to incite fear of prison time in that community's thoughts for even thinking of stealing from unlocked cars and open truck beds. The stuff I will have stolen, the bait, shall be expensive looking items I buy from a thrift store. 

As I mentioned prior, I need recommendations for a camera/IR strip combo that complement each other and I to discreetly record thieves.

With what I want to do. Is it as simple as buying any old pinhole camera, putting up an IR light strip and connecting them to my labtop? Is that it? Am I way overthinking the technicalities here? 

Do do I even need to supply IR illumination via light strip?

20 minutes ago, VanAukenFudge said:

my goal is to build a log of thieves, a portfolio if you will. And hand it to the police once I have acquired enough videotapes.

Then you want the police to spend man hours looking through footage .... then you want them to spend days identifying them if they ever will. 

26 minutes ago, VanAukenFudge said:

No, I want to NAIL the repeat offenders and hold them accountable. I want to incite fear of prison time in that community's

Well your not going to stop it..... someone always wants what you have there called thieves 

23 minutes ago, VanAukenFudge said:

Do do I even need to supply IR illumination via light strip?

If your talking IR then it depends on type of camera used ........ it will need a ir filter or mechanical switch over. And remember night images will be black and white so pointless for the police on colour of cloths plus the area your talking about IR will wash out any face image you have. 

using your own laptop.... analog or IP camera .... you can’t connect analog direct to a laptop

two dashcams will do what you want at half the price

My end goal is quite simple. Obtain enough evidence in my portfolio and associated police reports to give the person ten to twenty years of 3meals a day in a penitentiary. 

1. Watching hours of video. No, I have a video editing program that can cut and splice minutes out. Cut down 4 hours to only the relevant 5 minutes. 

2. I would like to at least try. Unlikely I know, but can't say I didn't try. 

3. Most cameras produced modern day have USB hookups. I want the dash cam to be 1"X1". A spy dash cam if you will. 

4. Wont take but a second for police to run facial recognition. And if it is a black and white, not a problem. Baby steps.

Again, do I need to supply my own IR light in my truck bed?

1 hour ago, VanAukenFudge said:

3. Most cameras produced modern day have USB hookups. I want the dash cam to be 1"X1". A spy dash cam if you will. 

Ok so your not talking cctv 

Again, do I need to supply my own IR light in my truck bed?

Since IR controls the camera ...... how is camera going to get command to insert filter

without filter or IR lens IR in your bed is useless 

Wont take but a second for police to run facial recognition. And if it is a black and white, not a problem. Baby steps.

To much CIS. 
Cheap usb camera black and white with I glare for facial recognition Again police will not waste time on it. 

my portfolio and associated police reports to give the person ten to twenty years of 3meals a day in a penitentiary. 

So now your judge and jury ... why not go for death penalty.... save the state 3 meals a day 

better still don’t leave valuables in truck bed unsecured 

2 hours ago, VanAukenFudge said:

Watching hours of video. No, I have a video editing program that can cut and splice minutes out. Cut down 4 hours to only the relevant 5 minutes. 

You also need to know laws ...... edited video is not always used in court. It’s usually edited in your favour this is why native files are used ... unedited 

only 5 minutes is pointless 

what if someone removes something from your bed and then returns it 10mins later that will not show if edited... so must be native file of all that night

Didn't know the camera controls the ir. I thought the IR was there, 100%, didn't understand that too much ir will cause a whitewash. 

About the legality of edited and unedited video clips.

Right, I had planned on handing over the full unedited video clips to the lawyers and giving the police probably both versions, edited and unedited, to merely get their interest.

hmm, I hope you are wrong about our police forces' disinterest in solving crimes, though petty crimes it be. I suppose I can only hope they have more interest than you let on. I openly admit I have faith in the police force and hope that they do what is right. Rather, they have my faith until they prove otherwise. 

About the camera controlling the IR, I understand that now. Process of learning. I'm getting there.

When I first started this forum. I was under the (somewhat) false presumption that all I need is a night vision camera (regular camera that's missing the IR filter, and install an IR led strip light around my bed. 

Im still under this assumption with the understanding the strip light needs to be controlled by the camera to avoid whitewashing. 

This post basically summarizes my understanding and comprehension of night vision camera setup. 

Oh, and my picture will be a 1980's tv show, no color.

Am I missing any major points?

i being judge and jury? No, I just want to collect damning evidence against the thief. 

Changing my mind on what I want/need. I mean there IS ambient light from the nearest building 50-75ft away.

How about a low light vision camera? Have to be pinhole too.

Then to connect easily to a computer, gotta be USB. 

Putting together what I'm thinking aloud here. Low light USB pinhole camera. 

Once I figure this out, I'll keep this thread updated should anybody else ever desire to repeat my project then a semi- step by step tutorial exists for them to do. 

2 hours ago, VanAukenFudge said:

hmm, I hope you are wrong about our police forces' disinterest in solving crimes, though petty crimes it be.

Look at it with police eyes ..... you choose to leave valuables in truck bed unsecured in location open to public and expect no theft

first police will ask you why and why you did not secure anything......... it’s your own fault. 
And for you to continue to do it only makes you a police problem as in wasting resources 

Its  not just you and your truck..... anyone who leaves valuables on show in a car or truck parked up will at some stage return to nothing

As far as camera you can’t build anything better than a dash cam .... jeep pickup truck in this video shows you just what you need

So from the thief's eyes, it is morally correct and even righteous to steal from unlocked vehicles because "'If they didn't want me to steal from the back or their pickup (or car, or whatever) they shouldn't have left it unlocked. It may be wrong, but I'm never gonna get caught so it would be stupid of me not to take that Iphone in the passenger seat of the unlocked car."

I dont mean to argue moralities here. Just seeking some technical help with an infrared pinhole camera and IR led strip to illuminate the bed for the camera to work.

All in all, I think I have the information I need. Here are my conclusions for future readers who want to record thefts from their vehicles using darn near invisible, hidden, cameras.

The blackvue cam as tomcctv listed above will work, but, the route I will take is non-wifi (either usb to computer or SD card) pinhole (so its very small)  very low light (to see at night) camera.

in short. a very low light pinhole camera with a XX MB SD card fits my parameters.

My reason for specifying non-wifi camera, is my paranoia of it either being hacked, or detected. The pinhole (or minute size) is to make it so small so as to be nearly undetectable.

examples:

1. Blackvue cameras though they are not small much less minute.

2. 1.25"x1.25" 1.3MP output $69, will require analog video output to USB converter.

https://www.supercircuits.com/wide-angle-wdr-board-camera-pc823xssl

3. 1" x 1" x 1" 12MP/30fps with 100minute onboard battery and up to 32GB micro SD card. $69

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1494956-REG/mini_gadgets_hcnvminicube_mini_nightvision_cube_camera.html

4. here is a list of spy cameras one can purchase in 2021.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-spy-cameras

Personally I like the fredi mini cam #2 in part because the low battery life I can override with my knowledge of electronics.

do note, you will find alot of these pinhole cameras in analog not digital versions.

ok let’s do it your way ..... and I’ll point out the problems

once you have your pinhole camera and you find a cheap usb converter  how are you going to get dvr software to see the camera then either a second hard drive to hold footage or partition existing hard drive

also remember 12v camera also power for usb converter and 12volt for IR unit so need a separate battery or jumpstart your truck to get home every time you Finnish work

blackvue is SD card run .... Wi-Fi is optional 

also rear camera is only size of your thumb 

other camera you have listed is a low light camera...... this means it stays colour and can’t  be used with IR but they do need a little light to operate so if truck is parked in a bad lit area you will not get a image

but if not wanting to use a dashcam then I would start at looking at software first for your laptop then figure out if your going analog or IP option then look for camera to suit it 

Having a secondary battery in my truck was already part of my plan. And if the cam can't be used with ir, then all the better. As you pointed out prior, the IR strip lights are exceedingly expensive. Yes, my truck is parked in a poorly lit area, but not 100% dark hence the ultra low light camera.  As for what you say about using analog, you mistook my general conclusion that "most spy cameras are analog not digital" as  a statement that I WILL use analog, is only half right. I'm still on the wall about which I shall use.  But I like your point about finding the software first then look for the appropiate camera for it.  Fantastic idea should one go down that route.

Sorry it’s just clicked with me with what your trying to do. 

second battery to run a camera that you will then feed to your laptop which will have the right software to decode camera image onto hard drive for recordings

this is called a self build .....there is another name for it and I’m trying to remember it’s called I think a dash cam

now some of your pinhole camera links are cameras that only have 480tvl  you have no chance getting good face images and it does not matter how good your police are facial recognition is not going to work on 480tv line cameras .... it can’t make a bad image good

low light pinhole camera

Also  don’t work.... low light cameras require some sort of light into the lens ..... bigger the lens the better ..... pinhole don’t .... so don’t believe everything you read on amazon or eBay also some of your links are expensive crap the link from Spain was the worst junk

here is another idea for you as you can use a dashcam in truck back window to watch your bed 

or if you want to still build your own buying crap from amazon why not buy a dashcam and take it apart then build your own you will have the camera the software the SD card pointless I know but that’s the way the post is going 

it does not matter if cam can be seen they will still steal from your truck bed if it valuable.... I have 100s of hours from my systems ...... shop hold ups .... gas station robbery.... night club shooting ..... little old lady shoplifting....... none covered there face Theft is all there interested in quick money on what they steal

either buy one to use or strip down to make your own ...... but from all your links this is much better and only $19 with SD card

https://www.walmart.com/ip/720p-Dashboard-Camera-with-Bonus-4-Gg-SD-Card/414664981

THANK YOU.

you understand what I am trying to do, I think. A self build, absolutely. 

2 catches, but you got me a solid starting point.

1. Doesn't say it is good for night vision, which is when I presumably get hit, but I can go on YouTube to see it for myself.

2. Not discreet, ain't it sorta obvious to have that mounted on your windshield? The 'smart' thieves will see it and turn away. Presumably I should only record the r'tard thieves. Ideally I want to catch the smart thieves because they (presumably) think they are too smart to get caught. 

But for $20, I can strip it down to make it into the discreet hidden camera I want. 

Or you could just keep it simple  ..... it does not mount on your window screen ..... you want it to cover bed so it’s on your back screen 

you could always put some sort of sticker in your window covering the camera and just cut a hole in sticker for lens ..... thats the simple way

28 minutes ago, VanAukenFudge said:

Good idea.uc20mpe by spinelelectronics

I think your here just to wind people up

again that’s camera only ...... and you seem to only read parts of what you need

the spec you have left ..... keep reading spec

and try and understand what it says in BIG RED LETTERS

Warning: UC20MPE camera is not recommended for capturing moving objects in low light condition, but only still objects.

Now back to your build without software you will not get any footage on a laptop at all

software is needed to decode video input it’s also needed to display time and date over image ... without date and time alone makes your home build useless (footage can’t be used)

I just did buy UC20MPG from eBay.

the MPE one I mentioned prior claims to get photos at .001 lux. The MPG is at .002 lux. However it is a Chinese made product, so those values cannot be taken for granted, if we have nothing from our relationship with China.  I also do not know how much or little I have to work with when videotaping my truckbed. Measuring the lux intensity by tool is highly impractical because the tool is gonna cost thousands. 

Not so true. It is true that a lux measuring device is quite expensive, but solving for the intensity might be nothing more than a Math workout. There are only two or three lights on the building's backside. Solve for my distance from each light multiplied by the average light output. Do that for each light, adding the couple together. That would work. OR I can just buy one, set up my surveillance system and record myself 'stealing' from my truck. Then review my footage and determine if I can see myself clear enough for a positive facial recognition. 

Don't think I need the software to decode (convert)  the video input because it already is USB so no conversions from analog needed.  To be honest, I haven't looked but I would assume Spinelelectronics would provide a complimentary software to go with their products. Resolution of the MPG is 2MP. 

BUT, as I said before. One step at a time. It claims my OS is supported. XP that is for my surveillance labtop.

49 minutes ago, VanAukenFudge said:

Don't think I need the software to decode (convert)  the video input because it already is USB so no conversions from analog needed

Ok put it another way .....you buy the camera plug it in to usb ... how does your usb know what to do ....... is your graphics card good enough also cpu will use up a lot with that camera being mpeg which are massive files

how will footage get to your hard drive without direction (direction being software) 

It is true that a lux measuring device is quite expensive

1000s of engineers on this forum not one uses a lux meter there not used in cctv buy are in the photograph industry

anyway good luck in your build as crap as it is 

you have a link to a $19 dash cam and a link to how much information they collect as you can see in the linked video..... good face image full colour for clothes .... make model colour and licence plate of there car and audio 

your not going to build anything that can do better ..... because you don’t understand