Sign in to follow this  
VanAukenFudge

Night surveillance pickup bed build

Ebay says shipment arrival Jan 26-28. I'm thinking of using the camera through my back window at first. Hopefully the picture is clear enough for possible facial recognition software.

28 minutes ago, VanAukenFudge said:

Hopefully the picture is clear enough for possible facial recognition software.

You just don’t have a clue

Well, Tomcctv, tell ya what. If and when my low light vision surveillance cam fails to work to my expectations. My Next step is to try your blackvue dashcam. 

19 minutes ago, VanAukenFudge said:

Well, Tomcctv, tell ya what. If and when my low light vision surveillance cam fails to work to my expectations. My Next step is to try your blackvue dashcam. 

I’m not on about the BlackVue ..... the link was Walmart $19 dashcam

so you have ordered your camera equipment to build from eBay..... post what your ordered

why don’t you just look at a webcam .... that’s usb and comes with software

Just ordered the up-20-mpg spy camera from eBay for $48+$7 shipping

a few notable specs: *do note all these specs are manufacturer provided not 3rd party verified

I really wanted some videos of it in use at night. So far here is what I found:

daytime use of the UC-20: 

This video also clarified another desire I needed: date/time stamp. 

No luck finding a night video of the uc-20 camera, much less one of the specific version I got, MPG. 

So $55 it total ...... and has no night time capability and auto switch off at 3hrs

oh maker is HNsat  and are on amazon for $10

so for your $55 ..... you could of bought one uc-20  ...and two Walmart full dashcams as listed and a coffee from Starbucks 

walmart like I said many posts back has night mode........ it won’t switch off after 3hrs

also don’t think of putting the uc-20 looking out of your window as it can’t handle light through glass

watch guy in video we’re he is standing with windows behind him...... even when he opens the blinds you can’t see out of window.......... it’s called white out which you get with cheap cameras

I am also thinking about camouflage to draw their eyes away from the camera in the rear of my cab. Hidden in plain sight is what I am going for now.

something to this effect. 

IMG_0444.JPG

Good idea ..... something else to restrict the lighting to camera sensor .... resulting in no image.  Why don’t you put some nice plants along the bed as well

11 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Good idea ..... something else to restrict the lighting to camera sensor .... resulting in no image.  Why don’t you put some nice plants along the bed as well

I'd be afraid the thieves might steal my flowers too, lol. 

1) video evidence must have a time stamp to be admissible in court

2) if the clock is not accurate within a minute or so, the evidence will be inadmissible in court

3) if the time on the video disagrees with the time on the camera,the evidence will be inadmissible in court

IR wavelengths: almost any CCD camera will see in 850 nm light. very few cameras see 940 mm light. CMOS is useless with IR illumination.

mount an 850 NM light on the building, pointed at your truck. do not buy the kind with 48 or 96 small LEDs. those small LEDs burn out fast if they get too much voltage. this reduces current draw, which raises voltage to the remaining LEDs, which burn out one by one. get the kind with 4, 6, or 8 LEDs the size of a fingertip. those large LEDs can dissipate extra heat.

I would use an IP camera, a router in the truck with DD-WRT software that lets me use it as a bridge, a separate "solar battery" ( the battery is not solar; it attaches to a solar system ). I would connect the bridge to a wifi network in the building, and configure the camera to get NTP time. I would record with an NVR in the building.

I tend to go berserk with this. all of my cameras are set up in a crossfire arrangement with other cameras. you are never on A camera, you are never on less than 2 and sometimes on 5.

Even more money ..... ip camera .... router .... nvr .... ir ..... solar . And all that cost it only works in that 1 location..... drive away from parking spot and nothing works 

the link to Walmart’s $19 dashcam is still best option

Last night. Had it happen again. NOW I can place limits on their (the thieves) observational skills. The campershell on my pickup bed. The rear window/door handle, I purposefully left it perfectly level (to eyeball accuracy) but when I checked it hours later the handle was was ****ed at a 45 degree angle. I swear the fabric I had thrown in my bed was laying in a different layering. Meaning they did a quick search of my bed, or at least the fabric, but missed the cordless power drill (bait) that had slid up to the bed's  front right. Therefore, their observational skills are quite weak. Implying a bulky camera in the rear may not be noticed nor a rear facing camera inside the cab.  

I will be buying the $20 camera in the coming days.

Did someone say there was a blackvue camera for $19 at Wally? The closest I found to $19 was two things. A blackvue camera at $419 and a blackvue camera power adapter for $19. 

On 1/17/2021 at 1:06 PM, tomcctv said:

You just don’t have a clue

Absolutely correct. I am beginning to finalize my wants and needs. 

Need: night vision camera

dont kill car battery after sitting 4 hours

High enough quality for facial rec. 

Want: not spend a fortune on unneeded quality (blackvue) 

Bypass lawyer chain of custody/authorization issues.

Fudge it. Otherwise it'll be censored. Do what my father does. Disregard the price, just buy the best one that satisfies the needs. Blackvue it is. With 4K resolution. 

Now: single channel or dual? Dual channel has front facing camera and a rear, nty. Single it is. 

Again, there I am trying to cut corners which will also limit its uses. If I am going to put out a bunch of money, I should shell out a little more to guarantee versatility. 

Dual channel blackvue camera it is. Fudge the cost. Large sd card, ability to record in small segments, nightvision. Doesn't have to be blackvue either, just high quality. Give me some reccomendations. 

I will however test a dummy out. You give me your reccomendation, I'll find its size and put a copycat looking dummy in my rear window to ensure their attentiveness is as nonexistent as I think.

in the past: I'm trying to not sink a bunch of cash into this 'project'. But I'm coming to realizing quality is priceless. There are no shortcuts. Just foot the bill and I'll be happy.

I'm thinking dr900x-2ch with a quarter TBmemory. That would be 256 GB.

Anybody want to comment on I getting this? Tomcctv, I definitely want to hear your opinion. 

Cost:don't care. 

6 minutes ago, VanAukenFudge said:

I'm thinking dr900x-2ch with a quarter TBmemory. That would be 256 GB.

Anybody want to comment on I getting this? Tomcctv, I definitely want to hear your opinion. 

Cost:don't care. 

I have been using BlackVue for years.... upgraded 2 years ago to 900s...... the 900x has SIM card so might be something you don’t need . For extra cost everything else is same as DR900s

you only need a 16 or 32gb card 

but also using the power magic obd port power is a no brainier...... stops your battery going flat 

58 minutes ago, VanAukenFudge said:

I will however test a dummy out. You give me your reccomendation, I'll find its size and put a copycat looking dummy in my rear window to ensure their attentiveness is as nonexistent as I think.

How is this going to work ...... are you going to get people to fill in a questionnaire as they pass your truck

Good point. An even simpler method: if they see the camera and they steal the bait, the bait is gone. If they see the camera and don't steal the bait, the bait remains where I place it. If they don't see the camera, they steal the bait so the bait is gone. To the end result of stealing the bait: they either saw the camera and don't care or didn't see the camera and stole the bait. 

Not so much a questionnaire as an end result.