Sign in to follow this  
Frank Sebem

Help with building/designing a new system

Hi everybody

We are moving house next month and the house we are moving into requires extensive work such as walls removing, windows, doors, major electrics, plumbing etc.  So, whilst all this is happening I want to sort out a new CCTV and house alarm system.  There are a lot of things we require with the new CCTV setup so I thought I'd ask here first to see if you guys can point me in the right direction so that when I approach a CCTV installation company I can be quite firm in pressing home my preference without them telling me what I need.  So, before I start I think I should tell you a little about the current setup at my house (where I live now) and what I like and don't like about it.  At present we have a Hikvision box that is stored away in the loft.  We have 3 cameras on the front of the house and 3 at the back.  Please allow me to tell you about these cameras and our system and what the pro's and cons are.  Then hopefully you guys can steer me in the right direction.

High up on the eaves near the roof gutter (just above the 1st bedroom window) we have a camera on the left of the house and one on the right.  These cameras are hard wired back to the Hikvision box.  These two cameras point down on the drive at our cars.  The quality of them is fantastic and what I do like about them is the 2 large Red Infra Red dots either side of the lens as a night time deterrent.  There is no brand name on them and I don't know where they came from.  I have posted an image of these cameras similar (ABUS) but the image is just to give you an idea of their design.  I have also attached an image of a sample house with Red dots showing position of cameras at front of house.

Then just above the front door (pointing at anybody who knocks on the door) is a small dome camera (mounted at head height) about the size of a fist.  Again, I like the circle of Infra Red dots around the lens as a good deterrent.  The quality again is excellent when a person is stood on the doorstep 4 feet away but there's no brand name on it.  See image attached.

Then if we go round the back of the house we have 2 dome cameras which are the same style to the front door dome cam but are a different brand to the front door cam and are pretty rubbish.  Even though they are hard wired to the same Hikvision box the quality is shocking.  Could this be because they are dome type cameras that are pointing at the back of the house 20 feet away? Therefore, I don't know how we came across these but they are not what I want in the future.  

Taking into account our current setup we like:

We can view the cams and play them back on our iPhones via the Hikvision box.

The Red Infra Red dots on the cams

We don't like:

Poor quality cameras at back of the house.  

So, what am I looking for?

Well, for our new house I want (for the front) at least 2 infra Red cameras to mount on the eaves just where the first bedroom window is.  I want these to point down at the cars on the drive.  Obviously these will be about 20 - 30 feet up near the roof so I want to maintain image quality.  I want a door bell type cam too.  of course, this would be at face height.  One similar to what is shown in the Ring advert.  Preferably one where we can talk back through our phones to whoever is on the door step.  At the rear I also want another 2 cams high up at first bedroom height to point down at the back conservatory.  Then, taking into account that the back garden is about 30 feet long I propose to install some cable under the grass to the back of the garden and mount 2 cameras looking back at the house.  I may even install a camera or 2 pointing on the shed and outhouse etc.  

So, taking into account what I have said here guys.  The fact that I prefer a hard wired system.  The fact that there will probably be more than 6 cams.  The fact that I want high quality images all round.  The fact that I'd like some sort of ring type door bell... Please can you tell me where I should start looking.  I'm not being lazy and asking you guys to do the work for me.  I just want pointing in the right direction so I can get a decent camera system, that is future proof, that I can watch on my iPhone etc.  I'm a little confused about the pro's and cons of analogue, Digital and IP systems.  

Apologies for the essay but I thought I'd try and give as much detail as possible.  Please can you spare your thoughts guys.  

PS... The images are not my house.  They are sample images editted to show you guys where I would like my new cams positioned etc.

Thanks in advance.

abus 1.jpg

danbury.jpg

typical house2.jpg

CAM2.jpg

CAM3.jpg

Hi for your budget go IP 4K system. 
8 camera system with audio
I know the cameras you have posted images of ....just rebranded 

as far as doorbell camera I would keep is all separate and use a ring  

I would not use hikvision if you want a system to last

if your having a lot of work done I would start putting cables in at the same time... this gives you more options for cable placement 

Thanks Tom

A basic internet search for 4K camera systems come up surprisingly cheap which I am suspect of. I recently read an article stating that buying supposedly expensive CCTV gear is a gamble, especially off sites like EBay and Amazon. Apparently what it says on the cover is not what is under the shell of some cams??

Would you be able to suggest a good Hard Drive box which I can hide out of the way with as much iPhone interaction as possible. Also, what about the best 4K cameras? I presume SONY & Samsung have offerings? What are the 4K brands to avoid?

thank you. 

Hi. Yes you are right on eBay and Amazon .... yes you could find the same system cheaper on eBay but you loose warranty and support as there just resellers

sony -Samsung I would not say are best ...especially Samsung 

At the moment one of the best systems is TVT they also have one of the best remote view apps on the market that has full control of the system and cameras

what part of Manchester are you in

Hi

Will (hopefully) be moving to Worsley but my work takes me all over Manchester. I remember years ago going to a CCTV camera place in Cheetham Hill. 

Hi got a few systems around there .... I spend a lot of time in Manchester ...... hate the parking fees 

I will pm you systems to look at.