dje75140

AVTECH AVC796H (AU) Boot Initial failure

Lost password for AVTECH AVC796H (AU) DVR.

From information on CCTV forum I powered up the system with TP5 and TP6 shorted in an attempt to do a factory reset.

System now boots to a screen " H.264  System Initial" and hangs there.

I contacted AVTECH in Taiwan and they provided a recovery .zip file with four .bin files

The directory name "AVC796B_S755"

The four files are "AppImg_8.bin, fboot_8.bin, kernel_8.bin, xml_8.bin"

I now have two scenarios..

Scenario 1. if I short TP5 and TP6 with no USB thumb drive inserted I get the message "Reset default    Complete Booting System"   and it then boots to the " H.264  System Initial" screen and hangs there.

Scenario 2.. if I short TP5 and TP6 with the USB thumb drive inserted with only the 4 .bin files I get the message "Enter USB upgrade mode (1/6)" "Upgrade APP"

The system then halts, the screen gives a message "no signal" and goes into standby mode. the optical mouse led also goes out. 

By removing individual files from the thumb drive I found the system is accessing the file "fboot_8.bin" and shutting down.

If I put any other file in the thumb drive  eg the "upgrade_8.bin" file it ignores the thumb drive and behaves as per Scenario 1. listed above

When I advised AVTECH in Taiwan that the files and procedure they provided did not work they stopped responding to my emails.

I am wondering if the system is looking for a .bin file to take control of an upgrade rather than a recovery boot.

Does any one know if there is an "Upgrade APP" file or what "USB upgrade mode (1/6)" means.

Better still, Do you know I can fix this issue?

Thanks in anticipation.

4 hours ago, dje75140 said:

if I short TP5 and TP6 with the USB thumb drive inserted

Hi. 5&6 are reset only all you are doing is restart ..... upgrade method for that unit is switch off dvr ...unplug hard drive..... insert pen drive .... power back on ....... can take upto a hour to load

you will need the original file path sent to you by avtech in the order it was sent or it won’t load

but I would also question if you have the right files .... it is unusual for something 10 years old 

it is only a cif resolution dvr ... time to change

51 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

you will need the original file path sent to you by avtech in the order it was sent or it won’t load

Hello tomcctv, thank you for your reply..

AVtech indicated "only the .bin files remains in the drive"

I downloaded a file

DVR8CH796B_S755_0420.zip

unzipped it to directory

DVR8CH796B_S755_0420

in that directory was another directory

AVC796B_S755

with the four .bin files "AppImg_8.bin, fboot_8.bin, kernel_8.bin, xml_8.bin"

When you say I will need the original file path do you mean

DVR8CH796B_S755_0420\AVC796B_S755\AppImg_8.bin, fboot_8.bin, kernel_8.bin, xml_8.bin"

or

AVC796B_S755\AppImg_8.bin, fboot_8.bin, kernel_8.bin, xml_8.bin"

Thanks

Hi. Did avtech send you the files or did you download from internet

them files are 2014 and were removed by avtech for spyware 

what happened to your recorder to start with

AVtech sent the attached .pdf file with details of how to download the files.

I moved into a new house where the recorder was working but was password protected.

From posts in the forum I thought I could reset the recorder to factory default if I shorted TP5 and TP6 and powered on the recorder. But it went to its current state.

reset_796H.pdf

Firmware 1017 to 1019 is what you need

but I would not use it as your system sounds as if it’s bricked forums are full of avtech bricked problems and can’t be fixed 

firmware and patches are update software that attach to the recorders main software when bricked it’s the main software that’s corrupt..... so firmware or updates have nothing to attach too

for a 10 year old system and only cif recording it is better for you to buy a new recorder

Buffer overflow in cgi-bin/user/Config.cgi in AVTECH  DVR with firmware 1017-1003-1009-1003 and earlier, and possibly other devices, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (device crash) and possibly execute arbitrary code via a long string in the Network.SMTP.Receivers parameter.”

Hello tomcctv,

I understand what you are saying about this system being old vulnerable to hackers. If I get it working again I won't be connecting it to the internet.

This thing still has a heartbeat even though it is sick. I would like to see if it can be fixed.

If I boot it up and insert a thumb drive it accesses the thumb drive. If I remove the thumb drive and re-insert it it re-reads the thumb drive, so it still is functioning on some level.

I have disconnected hard drive, DVD drive and internet.

On the web I have found several variants of software as well as those provided by AVTECH in Taiwan.

I downloaded a single .bin file with directory "DVR8CHHA_1019\1019-1003-1008-1001\upgrade_8.bin"

another file with directory and 4 .bin files "AVC796H_1021\1021-1003-1008-1003\AppImg_8.bin, fboot_8.bin, kernel_8.bin, xml_8.bin"

You said "Firmware 1017 to 1019 is what you need". Is that in a single .bin file or 4 .bin files.

also what is the significance and the directory numbers "1021-1003-1008-1003". Is this the issue numbers?

in a previous post you said "you will need the original file path sent to you by avtech in the order it was sent or it won’t load"

Sorry for all the questions but I would like to know what files I need and directory structure I need to give this thing a chance of loading the files as you described.

Regards,

dje75140

10 hours ago, dje75140 said:

what is the significance and the directory numbers "1021-1003-1008-1003". Is this the issue numbers?

This is we’re problems start with people downloading software and which kills units 

your in Australia so 1017-1019 is the firmware you need ..... but if you have tried to load anything else and it’s wrong then you damage the units software

11 hours ago, dje75140 said:

also what is the significance and the directory numbers "1021-1003-1008-1003". Is this the issue numbers?

Regional software ..... depends where recorder was made for Europe USA China Australia South America  and determines its PAL or NTSC or secam wrong one and you won’t get image on screen

11 hours ago, dje75140 said:

f I get it working again I won't be connecting it to the internet.

Ok so say you use it (which you won’t as bricked) and your have footage of someone damaging your car who will you give the footage too

it will still write the hack path to DVD ..... also most law agencies will not accept DVD any more 

On 2/5/2021 at 6:02 AM, dje75140 said:

Lost password for AVTECH AVC796H

12888 would of reset password

you can try as many firmware options there is but to read the firmware the units software must be intact to read 

So you need to flash software on dvr with dvd disk  good luck with getting that of any website there is only 3 locations I know of but again that’s regional 

Hello Tom,

I'm trying to decide if you are a person who has lots of knowledge on AVTECH DVR's but is not willing to share

OR

knows very little about AVTECH DVR's and software but but is trying to convince everyone you do by filing copious meaningless posts.

I have asked many questions but you have avoided providing any meaningful answers. I presume because you don't know the answer.

You have instead provided  information on hackers and law enforcement agencies etc. None of which interests me and I did not ask about.

I will not bother troubling you again by seeking help or responding to your posts as I feel you have nothing to offer on this topic.

kind regards

dje75140

17 minutes ago, dje75140 said:

knows very little about AVTECH DVR's and software but but is trying to convince everyone you do by filing copious meaningless posts.

You only need to read 10 years of posts ...... oh and in at least 1 of them you will find a link to software

but your right over 36 years in the cctv industry I don’t know everything.... but as new equipment comes out bought by myself or sent to me buy vendors I’ll learn about it

24 minutes ago, dje75140 said:

You have instead provided  information on hackers and law enforcement agencies etc. None of which interests me and I did not ask about.

Yes your right again .... but your the one who wants to use a unit which is over 12 years old is only cif recording worth nothing.

but I stand buy the link which I posted .... it’s a valid warning from most countries and isp about the risk ...... I was just putting all the problems together so as you would understand your wasting your time

34 minutes ago, dje75140 said:

I will not bother troubling you again by seeking help or responding to your posts as I feel you have nothing to offer on this topic.

I have explained your problem .......it’s no one else’s fault if you don’t like the answer

you don’t understand regional...... which is important with avtech ...... I tried to explain that once software is corrupt firmware will not help ..... but you don’t understand that  

avtech help line have even given up on you ..... let me guess you did not like there answer either

your like a little child ... grow up