Robert78

Troubleshooting Ezvis 4 camera system

Several years ago I (mistakenly) bought an Ezvis 4 camera from a big box store.  It worked for a while but was a hassle frequently not giving remote access, being too sensitive etc. Now the system boots but the cameras never show any video and in fact the cameras never even light up at all.  It seem strange that the individual cameras would go bad at the same time.  I think one has never been installed and is essentially new.

I'm going to do something different (not sure what) and am trying to determine whether the cameras themselves are salvageable or should be thrown in the trash.

My question: should the lights if a POE camera light up when plugged directly into a cat5 cable?  I've confirmed that the cable works with my laptop.

FWIW, the system is https://www.samsclub.com/p/ezviz-8x4-1080p-nvr-2tb-hdd/prod20596105

I opened the case of the NVR and there is a camera system specific IDE HD.  Not sure what chip or other hardware is in the box.  There are 8 camera ports - a pretty simple setup.  I may put the drive in an enclosure and look around.

8 hours ago, Robert78 said:

I'm going to do something different (not sure what) and am trying to determine whether the cameras themselves are salvageable or should be thrown in the trash.

Best place for them. 
there cameras only work with there nvr

100% China government owned hikvision system ... the most intrusive system on the market. 
I have been out to ezviz systems that are around 3-4 years old and found in the units log and customers router log that over 200 people had been watching there system. 
also uk couple with there indoor smart camera have watched there own ptz camera following them .... IN THERE OWN HOME

BURN THE CRAP buy something better 

That's unfortunate because I hate being monitored myself upon AND this place is out in the boonies AND the meth heads (at least 1 or 2) have discovered it and think they can go shopping like they're at Wallmart. I'm hoping that I don't have to make surveillance systems another hobby to learn a lot and come up with a system that will record intruders while I'm not there and notify me on my phone when something trips the wire.  Renting a service is out because I want to keep control of my data just because I want to.

Is there a down and dirty way that works?  I've thought about running BlueIris or something similar once I free up a computer to run it.  I probably only need 4 cameras.  Can you pint to something simple and works? More projects I don't need.

Hi. Over 80% of systems are out of China area the key word to stay always from is smart system all of which require a cloud connection 

TVT systems are standard cctv and you can configure the system with no cloud signup 

do you live there or is it a second location?

Roughly what area are you in 

do you have a internet and cell coverage at location 

Middle Tennessee. No cell reception within 1/2 mi of the property.  It's a 2nd location.  Has good internet.   I do need a place to upload the data in case the thieves steal system.  I the was thinking of changing to a computer run system and having backup files uploaded to DropBox or similar. 

Thanks for the info. I looked at a job similar to yours on a cabin in wv 

I would not use a pc ... with you only using 4 camera I would use 2 nvrs that way you are getting storage at two locations plus if nvr is switched or stolen your cameras will still be recording to other nvr (camera connected via switch hidden)

know for a second security I would also use 3G motion sensors to alert you they are cheap ...... no cell coverage is not a problem but a fix for that has a charge of $5 a month

i will pm you how.

Tech support thinks the problem causing no camera response is the power supply inside the NVR.  I plugged the cameras in to a POE switch and get them to light up. 

I've decided to add a shop and another building for storage so will need the system to expand in a few months.  Is there anything from the current system that can be used?  What about the cameras as long as I'm willing to live with their image quality?  Do the cameras themselves pose a security risk? Do you have a recommended NVR or minimum requirements to look for to avoid pp quality like ezviz?

9 hours ago, Robert78 said:

Is there anything from the current system that can be used?  What about the cameras as long as I'm willing to live with their image quality?  Do the cameras themselves pose a security risk? Do you have a recommended NVR or minimum requirements to look for to avoid pp quality like ezviz?

Yes you can use them .... but you can’t stop them sending data to 3rd company it’s built into software

ezviz is about to get a ban from Australia 

mall China government owned companies 

hikvision ezviz dahua lorex are all about to come back into the news over security risks and company build methods 

ezviz are cheap $30 ..... there cheap to flood the market and collecting personal data on what cameras see and hear

to use your ezviz contact them for a new nvr recorder or pc software as trying to connect them to another manufacturers unit may not work ... I know they state onvif which they don’t 

That's more clear. You're saying they won't work with another brand NVR but should work if running on a computer.  If used with a system on a computer the cameras become simply a dumb piece of hardware similar to any plug-in camera hooked to a computer.

What brands do you like?  I don't necessarily want cheap, prefer value for dollars spent.  At the end of the day, it has to record decent quality and be controlled by me.

1 hour ago, Robert78 said:

If used with a system on a computer the cameras become simply a dumb piece of hardware similar to any plug-in camera hooked to a computer.

Hi. No very wrong ..... as ezviz asks for router details to work (nvr or pc) you still give it a path in and out of your network

the problem is people don’t know what there buying when it comes to home security. There are two types 

SMART CCTV. 

this is we’re you buy and get equipment home and on setup it asks you to register your equipment to a cloud service 1000s of miles away .... the only reason is to collect personal information .... your name your email your router username and password which then gives your location also cell location if using a app which tracks your location even when not at home

IF A STRANGER CAME TO YOUR DOOR and asked for your router details and login and password details 95% of people would say no....... yet very happy to give it over there home network to strangers........ it’s not a security system if others have control

CCTV SECURITY SYSTEM (not smart)

does not require you to register .... cloud is optional and does not stop your system working if you don’t use that option does not disable firewall and you can pick and insert your own port numbers for remote view and change when ever you like along with IP address...... all of which makes your own network secure 

ezviz (hikvision) and lorex (dahua) are about to hit headlines again  ezviz for using facial recognition software of everyone who passes there cameras and sending data back to China (without owners concent)

lorex for how there new systems are made and now also requiring login details again for dahua use

i will pm you with a system you have control over