01stephenhall

Running cabling through walls

Looking to start installing CCTV Cameras as a business, but can't work out how to get it cable free, Does anyone have any experience of running cables from the outside walls to the loft?

Uk so no regs ....... depending on type of house cavity is a good way .... remove half brick in loft. 

but what a lot of installers do is behind drain pipe since all houses have two or more on each house you can also put up a dummy drain pipe

but I have seen some very bad installs in the uk. We’re installers have put 25mm conduit all around a house. (Quick in Out boys) and wonder why they can’t get paid 

whay equipment will you be using

19 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Uk so no regs ....... depending on type of house cavity is a good way .... remove half brick in loft. 

but what a lot of installers do is behind drain pipe since all houses have two or more on each house you can also put up a dummy drain pipe

but I have seen some very bad installs in the uk. We’re installers have put 25mm conduit all around a house. (Quick in Out boys) and wonder why they can’t get paid 

whay equipment will you be using

Which aspect of equipment? 

So lets say I put a camera, level with the second floors floor, Do you think I could run the cable straight up inside the wall or?

Hi. No one can answer that without seeing .... every house is different 

Other factors is why do you need cables going into loft ..... 90% of uk homes don’t have power in the loft so that’s more expense to your customers 

38 minutes ago, 01stephenhall said:

Which aspect of equipment? 

Are you doing IP or HD analog ..... do you have a supplier or is it going to be amazon equipment or eBay ....... which if running as a business last thing you want is your customer to see your markup 

Thanks for your swift and informative replies, I'd be covering both IP and analogue, I do have a supplier thankfully, Lets take this house on the far right, What would be the best way to install without showing cables? or showing minimalistic? 

barret-house.jpg

Hi. Images look good but there all dummy cameras. 

but locations like that depends on inside building ..... using cupboards on outside walls .... is one way. 

also most uk homes have a cable run area usually one upstairs floorboard needs to be removed and that gives access to most areas

you still not said which equipment you will be using 

Hi, They're all real Hik ColorVus installed, shamelessly nicked from a local company for an example here. 

Lets say, I drill into the cupboard, Trunk it up into the loft, same with a second camera (Front and back), then back down into a DVR On the second floor? --Or under the floor like you've mentioned, then up into a DVR,

And it'll be 2 X DS-2CE72HFT-F28 going into DS-7204HTHI-K1(S). With cut to measure RG59 & 2 Core shotgun cable, 

Also thanks so much for your assistance it's much appriciated. 

Hi your picture of house on right ..... cable access point will be full length of landing which will give you access to all 4 external walls with no cable showing at end of installation 

rg59 shotgun will be better terminated in cable management boxes...... saves having to take floorboard up just to replace a faulty camera

are you looking at installing recorder in loft

Uk weather cold or hot ... while in loft will give overheat or freeze depending time of year

Also customer needs access also need network connection in loft then monitor 

how will customer be controlling the system 

hdmi extenders to main tv is a good option if your hiding the recorder but extenders don’t give you mouse control unless you go for expensive ones. 

In your house picture ..... I would mount all equipment in back of garage  ..... mount front camera to left of garage door looking at drive and door pathway 

also most houses like that the back garage wall is also the partition wall to the kitchen which could be another option to getting a camera to the rear of the house .... under kitchen units from garage wall around kitchen and up into cupboard on kitchen outside wall

skegness_1612097i.jpg.7a7267dd8cb193d8a081a963dc51db14.jpg

Lets take this for example, if houses do not have garage, Could cable be ran through the floorboards? from one side of the house to the other? 

So one camera in the door porch, One to cover the front garden, then one on the back, all cameras on the left side, so they can run into one floorboard? Then drill up / down, to the DVR

4648bbb6de76ac90bf3bb59499214cfd.gif

Hi. That house again will have floorboards from left to right of house  (main board running along landing) also remove a section of floorboard below window above the porch you will see we’re cables needs to go

sounds like work but with the right tool it’s only an hour or so .... a tool worth adding to your box is one of these set to floorboard thickness makes the job easy

https://www.diy.com/departments/skip19d-worx-400w-85mm-compact-circular/1212911_BQ.prd

once you have a few jobs under your belt it will all click into place just treat every house as your own

• Like 1