moparcruiser

Brillcam cameras and stability

Hi all.  New to the forum.  A newbie to IP cameras too, as far as a whole system. Not afraid to tinker, but I am getting frustrated beyond belief.

I have a PC set up with DVIEWCAM software, a DLINK (old) WIFI PTZ camera, a brand new Brillcam WIFI camera and a brand new Brillcam POE camera.

The first thing I found is that windows updates suck eggs....LOL.....causes everything to go offline. And its a manual restart of everything. Not great for if I am away.

That said, it doesnt happen often and I can "delay" updates for a week at a time via Windows.

The bigger issue seems to be that my brillcam POE camera will go for a straight week or 10 days without any issues at ALL. But then start dropping and staying dropped as far as the stream....still shows "online" and I can still access it to reboot it via the brillcam app on my phone. I reboot it and its back within a minute or two.

But the question is WHY is it dropping that way? It has a static IP and its POE....I figured that would be the MOST stable setup.

It will drop every day three days in a row, and then be fine for a few days......it is so random.

Ironically, the ancient DLINK PTZ camera that I had shelved for a while because it was so unreliable has been ROCK SOLID for months!

And the Brillcam WIFI camera is also fairly reliable.

I had set the two brillcams up to automatically reboot once a day.....that should still be set.....I will have to check that....but recently that POE camera has been a real pain in the......well.....

I am not a network guru and this is befuddling me.

I am THIS close to saying screw it and buying a NVR with built in POE etc.....assuming that would be more reliable.....but I would lose my investment on the two brillcam cameras and also I NEED to have a couple of these cameras as WIFI....and the systems I have looked at that I can afford do not seem to like to play with WIFI.

Please be gentle..I am a newbie.

The worst part of this is trying to find time to get it to work.....and then it does for a while...then out of the blue acts up....>UGH!

I was thinking of upgrading my PC to add a Seagate Skyhawk or WD Purple 4 TB drive...right now I am recording to a second partition on my system drive, which I know slows down play back etc. I record 24/7 and the extra space would allow me more retention of footage.  But I dont want to invest more if these cameras are not gonna be stable.

I dont think it's DVIEWCAM that is the issue.....the unmanaged POE switch is brand new. Cabling is brand new.

Does anyone here use a PC based system or is everyone using NVRs now?

Hi. We’re would you like to start.

brillcam is another name for hikvision

your using cloud service to run your camera and that is based in China ... your brillcam is infact a EZVision  (check the app it’s the same) they needed to change there name  

the other problem is your pc setup Dviewcam

there app has not been updated for 4 years and is coming to an end. I would not spend any more time on the pc setup and since you have new brillcams I would look at using a hiview nvr

13 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Hi. We’re would you like to start.

brillcam is another name for hikvision

your using cloud service to run your camera and that is based in China ... your brillcam is infact a EZVision  (check the app it’s the same) they needed to change there name  

the other problem is your pc setup Dviewcam

there app has not been updated for 4 years and is coming to an end. I would not spend any more time on the pc setup and since you have new brillcams I would look at using a hiview nvr

Thanks for the advice!

Just to be clear -- I am not using Brillcam's cloud service for storage, recording or remote access (I have had NO luck in that last regard) etc.   I am only accessing the cameras through their app via my phone to reboot.   I actually rebooted using the brillcam setup software on my PC today.....changed the IP address to a different one to see if that would help at all (I know it probably wont).

I agree that the DVIEW app is OLD and sucks eggs in some ways.   I was considering BlueIris for $60....but the problem is that I cant see to find ANY software for sale (I am glad to buy it if it works great) that says it will work with the DLINK wifi camera....OR the brillcam cams for that matter. Hate to throw good money after bad.

So HIVIEW NVR is the way to go?  Or is "Hiview" also "Hikvision" ?  WHen I google , both come up.  I will check them out.....do you have any opinion on that brand and if that NVR will work with "other" cameras like my DLINK PTZ wifi cam?

I had no idea that "Brillcam" is  aka "Hikvision" aka  "EZ Vision"  (did I get that right?).   YIKES!!! LOL

So does the hiview work with "all" cameras makes ??  Do you use the Hiview?  How robust are they and what is their remote access and customer suppport like?

A buddy just got a whole new NVR system by the name of Lorex and likes it.....but again, not sure it will support my cameras.

1 hour ago, moparcruiser said:

Just to be clear -- I am not using Brillcam's cloud service for storage, recording or remote access (I have had NO luck in that last regard) etc.   I am only accessing the cameras through their app via my phone to reboot.

If your cameras are on your network then your camera are connected to a cloud .... you don’t set it up the camera will do that it’s self and you would not know

I had no idea that "Brillcam" is  aka "Hikvision" aka  "EZ Vision"  (did I get that right?).   YIKES!!! LOL

Yes EZ vision is hik .. brillcam is a resent name change 

yes hiview is also hik

only reason I HIview is your cameras are compatible 

On 3/18/2021 at 6:26 PM, tomcctv said:

Yes lorex (owned by dahua) is a good system but expensive 

we’re are you located

I am in the US.

I did try BlueIris software on trial with my Brillcams and they were easily connected.....My PC cannot handle the 24/7 compressed 3 camera recording though......so an NVR I think may be the way to go rather than spend $$ building the PC right and STILL having to deal with MS Windows updates that will crash everything while I am away.....

I am wondering if LOREX would see my Brillcams?

I have a buddy who just bought a LOREX system...I guess I could take my POE camera down and try connecting it to his system......

My PC cannot handle the 24/7 compressed 3 camera recording though.

This is because of two types of compression 

you camera (brillcam) is h265 you pc is converting it back to h264 which uses a lot of cpu...... your camera should have a option to use h265 or h264

this is only a problem with some pc software but you don’t have this issue with a standalone nvr

yes your camera will work with lorex