UncleDirty

Thinking Infrared IR lights??? Look here!

These are only useful to about 20-30 feet.  Even light and great for interior or close range exterior.  Very cheap.  Very unimpressive.

41oUNEWv5UL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

41oUNEWv5UL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

51eF4o+TsJL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

CMVision makes decent lower (not super low) priced stuff.  These are the 110 model Bl8.  Light can be "hotspotty" for close range but good overall coverage to about 30 feet.

51eF4o+TsJL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Raytec is f***-ing serious!  These define the words "Infrared Illuminator."  I bought a rack of 3 rm300xl and they light to 100ft no problem.

rm300-plt_2_1_1.jpg

a thing to know about IR illuminators: the ones shown above have large LEDs. this is a good thing. you can get an illuminator the size of the first one shown, with 96 tiny LEDs. the problem is, one of them gets hot and burns out, leaving 95 LEDs to suck up the same power source. the voltage across the remaining LEDs ratchets up a notch. the extra voltage burns out another LED, . the voltage across the remaining LEDs ratchets up another notch... pretty soon, you have a dozen surviving LEDs, which all burn up at once.

big LEDs can handle more heat. the big LED illuminators operate for years. the ones with 4 vast LEDs in a 4 inch circle outlast the 48 LEDs in a 4 inch circle like a Chevy outlasts a Yugo.

• Like 1

Are any of these IR LEDs discrete? I.e. Can you visibly see the red LEDs? I'm looking for something that doesn't bleed visible light.