BrightEyes

RV Security/Live Monitoring/Backup Camera

I live year-round in a 27' Class-C, and would like to know who's been sitting in my lawn chair, eating my porridge while I'm away...

What I would like is an IP camera that flush mounts, like a rear-view or back-up camera. But able to be monitored with something like a BlueIris box

I've been looking at doorbell cameras, but I don't want anything more than just a lens flush mounted to the exterior of my RV. I prefer running cables on the inside, so wifi is not what I want. I like having night lights located away from a camera, so built-in LED's are not what I want

But I can also consider a COTS DVR that accepts any of the hard-wired formats besides ethernet

I think I would want a wide-angle fisheye, but I also want a mini dome with a PTZ. Maybe a mix, maybe one of each on each side of the RV?

What I really want is my own R-Unit up on the roof armed with a blaster...

Hi. For RV there are what is called 360 camera kits and your looking for AHD format

that way the cameras are small and also good while your RV is moving 

I’ll try and find a link and post it

On 5/30/2021 at 3:18 AM, tomcctv said:

Something like this system 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293829477111

Thanks! That looks like the sort of thing I would want. Earlier this morning, I was looking at Axis F-series, but not sure if I want to spend that much or not

This sorta looks like a china clone of the F-series. Have you used this camera system? It's cheap enough, I might just buy it sight unseen as it were

Hi. I would have surgested the axis f 

As I have used it in the past ….. yes your right it’s expensive but it’s starting to be discontinued so high price and no support 

I have used similar systems to the link …. It was just a google search link …… you would be safer buying from amazon than eBay of China direct

2 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Hi. I would have surgested the axis f 

As I have used it in the past ….. yes your right it’s expensive but it’s starting to be discontinued so high price and no support 

I have used similar systems to the link …. It was just a google search link …… you would be safer buying from amazon than eBay of China direct

Aw darn! I just now bought that...

6 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Hi which did you buy 

I got the system you linked to, thinking you had some experience with it

On re-reading what you wrote, it does sink in that you had only meant to use that as a design example. So I guess I could post a write-up here on what that one is like

I think that might not have the sort of recording abilities I'm interested in, but I wouldn't have any problem with changing the cable ends to plug the cameras into a better DVR. Any recommendations for a AHD signal?

Hi sorry I have used similar systems just not the one from the link 

the main point is using AHD …. It is better than any …….. good images for static and also for moving…… so also good as a 360 dash cam …. The IP equivalent good images for static but moving useless 

for the cost of that link you are getting nice small cameras ….. you will have to see how the recording side works out ….. only downside I have found with this type of system is amount of storage 3 to 4 days then overwrites

the good thing is if you need more it’s just a recorder change …… you can use a standard dvr that supports ahd (which is most) for around $70 for an 8 way and more hard drive space …I swapped one out last year for a RV on a campsite and they get over 5 months recording…… the advantage to doing this is if you have a network hotspot you will also have remote view when you are away 

but either way you will end up with what you require 

let us know how you get on 

33 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Hi sorry I have used similar systems just not the one from the link 

the main point is using AHD …. It is better than any …….. good images for static and also for moving…… so also good as a 360 dash cam …. The IP equivalent good images for static but moving useless 

for the cost of that link you are getting nice small cameras ….. you will have to see how the recording side works out ….. only downside I have found with this type of system is amount of storage 3 to 4 days then overwrites

the good thing is if you need more it’s just a recorder change …… you can use a standard dvr that supports ahd (which is most) for around $70 for an 8 way and more hard drive space …I swapped one out last year for a RV on a campsite and they get over 5 months recording…… the advantage to doing this is if you have a network hotspot you will also have remote view when you are away 

but either way you will end up with what you require 

let us know how you get on 

I would like a DVR more than a NVR. Remote viewing would complicate what I do elsewhere. A feature I would like to have is having an alarm input for each channel, so I could use a PIR sensor to trigger recording. I might try to use a combo PIR/radar occupancy detector, but those are usually for indoor use

I haven't yet looked at DVR's for the RV, but I do know that they are not all the same in recording abilities. The few I've tried before were all pretty bad, so until I see an experienced review on a particular unit, I'm going to look elsewhere

Hi. No need for pir sensors ….. cameras have motion alarms setup via the recorder 

all DVRs now have a remote viewer along with sending alerts 

look at TVT recorders 

3 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Hi. No need for pir sensors ….. cameras have motion alarms setup via the recorder 

all DVRs now have a remote viewer along with sending alerts 

look at TVT recorders 

I've never liked video-based motion detection. Maybe I just haven't seen such a thing yet that works correctly? False triggering due to multiple different issues, failure to reset quickly enough, failure to detect, failure to function at night without constant lighting. Sometimes, just configuring the motion detection can take all of my time away from any other projects

I've had better luck with a time lapse setup that only records still images, but the post-processing tends to be a bit tedious

The Plotwatcher trailcams from Day6 had the best software for doing this, but they went out of business. That's a whole 'nother thread! I'd like to know if there's any current alternative that can do what Day6 did. They stitched still images into a video, adding successive images on the fly. Then used motion detection on playback to perform a kind of 'smart fast forward' where you could just jump to the next instance of a scene disturbance. Or you could review the entire video in high speed

Day6 didn't want to develop their Plotwatcher for night time use, but it still worked just fine at night if you added some form of light source, either white visible or IR

The kit is still in shipping. Meanwhile, I've been looking at recorders. It's not easy to find one that has both alarm inputs and AHD. I think HD-CVI would be a better choice, just from what I've been finding so far. Motion blur & latency are excellent with a Lorex HD-CVI camera I already own. But haven't seen any in that signal type with a form factor that I want: unobtrusive outdoor fisheye flush mount, preferably under three inch overall visible footprint

This is what I've dug up so far for a DVR: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174116994131?hash=item288a2e7c53:g:Q7wAAOSwl2dd5mqB

I hope the GUI is decent! Seems like another shot in the dark. They're only charging $40 for a 1TB drive, no info on what the drive is. Got that 'Packaged in the USA' feel to it!

Hi. I think it will make you feel better if I tell you that your link is one of the best systems on the market 

and the app is the best from anyone over the years full control of your system

the system is infact a TVT and can run all formats cvi tvi ahd and IP upto 5mp channel selectable 

I have over 30 of these out and never had any problems 

why is cctv so expensive in America 

http://en.tvt.net.cn/upload/products/2021030615274245.pdf

2 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Hi. I think it will make you feel better if I tell you that your link is one of the best systems on the market 

and the app is the best from anyone over the years full control of your system

the system is infact a TVT and can run all formats cvi tvi ahd and IP upto 5mp channel selectable 

I have over 30 of these out and never had any problems 

why is cctv so expensive in America 

http://en.tvt.net.cn/upload/products/2021030615274245.pdf

Well ok then! Nice to know

1st time I've heard of TVT, and if I had run into that name, I wouldn't think much of them as everyone claims they're better than everyone else

The manual you linked to is for a DVR without alarm inputs, but maybe I can dig something more up now I know the brand

I decided to go with this instead: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174646226869

I couldn't get a definitively clear answer from the ebay seller on why there's only four alarm inputs, as there's four audio inputs - I'm a bit concerned about the DVR not actually using the inputs for video recording. It looks like those might only be to choose from the audio. And besides, if I decide to use all of the video inputs on the ED-8208H5F, I'll want to have the option for an alarm tripped recording for all channels

The camera kit is somewhere in south california at the moment, still waiting on that

Well, I got that weird 'Birds Eye View' DVR. They sent me a totally different unit from what was shown on that listing. There were no instructions of any sort in the box. Getting a manual was difficult and only resulted in a manual for the unit shown in the listing, not for the one I received. It refuses to turn on, and I'm sending it back

The DVR I got seems to work ok. I'm having some issues with getting a monitor to work with it. Seems it handles HDMI just a bit differently. My dashboard 7" monitor wont display the entire screen and doesn't have any way to resize the signal to fit. So the settings are not in view and very difficult to launch. My 17" desktop monitor only randomly will show the signal over HDMI. Nothing on CVBS. There's a VGA connection, I just haven't found a cable to try that out with

So far, I only have just a single Lorex CVI camera to test with. That seems to be working fine, from whenever I'm able to see anything! So I guess I'm still looking for cameras. The Lorex is too easy to spot, does not mount flush and has too narrow a FOV to do what I need

The DVR GUI isn't quite as nice as a OOSSXX I helped a friend install. But that was a NVR with wifi cameras, so not necessarily a direct comparison. I'll eventually look into updating the firmware, hopefully they improved the GUI, not fix minor issues. None of the camera views have a right-click menu to make on-the-fly changes. Such as deleting camera views. It would be nice to only have the one view on startup seeing as I only have one camera at the moment. I'd add more cameras later when I get them. Trying to find where they hid the camera delete doesn't seem very intuitive. But having monitor issues isn't helping in deciphering this DVR

The chassis fan makes noise when I set anything heavy on top of the unit, like my 17" monitor. There's only one USB port, so if the DVR can handle a keyboard, I'll need to get a hub to run both keyboard & mouse. The mouse-based onscreen keyboard is very tiring to use. The cursor moves too fast, too far, so I'm holding the mouse with both hands to keep it on target while choosing letters. I haven't seen any way to change the mouse settings. Maybe I should try getting a better mouse? The one that came with this DVR has a glaring bright red LED I don't need along with a clear window all around the mouse to let that light blind me!

Well, guess that 'Birds Eye View' DVR is a DOA

Ebay seller asked for some photos of it so they could try figuring out what it is I actually got. Then they decided to just refund me and give up on the thing. So I'm very much still looking for cameras

The Axis F-series are basically what I want in the form factor for the camera housing's. But I think this DVR seems to be working out well enough to stick with it, so I'm limiting my camera choices to one of the HD analog formats. That choice is based on live streaming latency. If anyone has any suggestions based on real-world experience having used such a camera, I'd like to know, thanks!

Hi the f series is a proprietary system and can’t be used on another system 

for the recorder you have …. This is the ideal camera for your application….. made of steel and as small as a golf ball …. Can get in black or white 

tvi cvi ahd switchable 

https://www.amazon.com/Interwebz-Security-Weatherproof-MicroDome-Surveillance/dp/B01N3JPLJP/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=mini+4+in+1+cctv+camera&qid=1624652404&sr=8-4#immersive-view_1624652456801

11 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Hi the f series is a proprietary system and can’t be used on another system 

for the recorder you have …. This is the ideal camera for your application….. made of steel and as small as a golf ball …. Can get in black or white 

tvi cvi ahd switchable 

https://www.amazon.com/Interwebz-Security-Weatherproof-MicroDome-Surveillance/dp/B01N3JPLJP/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=mini+4+in+1+cctv+camera&qid=1624652404&sr=8-4#immersive-view_1624652456801

That looks very interesting. Even if it's not what I use for the RV, I might get one or two of those for other applications

I already understand about the F-series signal format is only going to work with their own control box. It's just the lens and housing I would want, with someone elses image sensor stuffed into it. I've done something like that before. I once found an Ipix camera on ebay, couldn't figure out how to access the image sensor, so I JB Welded the lens to a chinese board camera with a Sony sensor. The Sony image sensor was slightly larger than the Ipix sensor, so I didn't lose any of the image, I was able to watch flies crawling around on the wall to either side of the camera

I think a 3.6mm lens wont be wide enough. However, this DVR has eight channels, so I could contemplate having a pair of cameras on each side of the RV. I'll have to ponder that some

3 hours ago, alaxendra3 said:

I couldn't obtain a firm explanation from the ebay seller as to why there are only four alarm inputs while there are four audio inputs - I'm worried the DVR won't use the inputs for video recording. It appears that those options are limited to audio selections. I also bought a webcam cover to secure my camera lens from dust and any other scratches.

Which DVR? This thread got a bit 'lost'

And, that webcam cover you linked to is not for a security camera. It's too small, plus that's not something anyone would use for a 24/7 security system, kinda defeats the entire purpose of having a camera, if it can't see anything...

I didn't get the DVR I linked to, went with a 16 channel version of that one & documentation is pretty much non-existent. The paperwork that came with it was very minimal, the QR code on the DVR itself does not contain anything but it's model number, and no search engine I've tried has that model indexed. The GUI is a bit buggy, motion detection is very basic and doesn't work well enough. I haven't bothered testing the alarm inputs, as the cameras are so bad I didn't want to commit to drilling holes in my RV just yet. The DVR 'works', you just need to not expect a lot from it. I'm using a 350 Gig SSD on an adapter board for a SATA installation. Been working just fine, so I haven't felt like opening up my Purple terabyte drive just yet

Basically, my video system is running in 'test mode', got one camera run up out a skylight hatch and taped to a brick sitting on the roof to get a better idea how it actually works before doing anything permanent

I bought the 'golf ball' cameras mentioned earlier, I don't recommend them. The cable isn't very nice to work with. The housing has failed, so there's moisture on the sensor. Every now & then the board shorts out, the color is really weird, the IR illuminators do not cover the entire field of view, this camera does not have BLC, and very poor contrast in bright lighting. When the sun is out, any shaded areas remain pitch black

1 hour ago, johnmichealva said:

I am also Looking for ONE for My Sells crap Store.

I think you need to get your eyesight fixed first before a coat 

it’s a cctv forum