techie996

Please HELP! Cameras stuck in CVBS mode

Okay, so I was playing around with the settings as my cameras would not display across the entire screen in 5MP@15/20 fps. It's a 1080p TV and just yesterday, it was displaying fine. 

Anyway, I started experimenting with a few settings - went into the PTZ menu that you access from the camera's main screen (not the DVR's main menu) - and I changed it from AHD or TVI to CVBS. 

Now both my cameras (as I changed both their default CVI setting to CVBS to check the aspect ratio) - are stuck in CVBS/ultra low resolution mode or SD. I can no longer access the PTZ menu. When I click on the main interface - nothing happens. I also noticed in the DVR's main menu PTZ settings (under "camera") that the Control Mode option is now greyed out. I can't even access that. 

This is driving me absolutely nuts - my CCTV camera feed looks like it's more than 20 years old! I'm not even getting colour on one of the cams now. It's just stuck in CVBS mode. How do I restore it to TVI, AHD or CVI? I've literally tried experimenting with every single option in the menu. 

Please HELP!! I have the Dahua dh-xvr5104hs-x1 with a Dahua camera and Pogo camera, both 5MP@20fps capable and 1080p@30 fps capable. 

• Like 2

Anyone, please? This is an emergency. I hope I won't have to manually reset stuff. I can't understand why it won't let me access the PTZ menu so I can go into "video output" to change it back to CVI or AHD/TVI. 

Hi  you can change camera format in camera settings on dvr and on some dahua you can click bottom left on each camera screen to alter format 

are you also using a joystick 

35 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Hi  you can change camera format in camera settings on dvr and on some dahua you can click bottom left on each camera screen to alter format 

are you also using a joystick 

There's no option in my DVR to change the format. It's only available through the PTZ menu. Which is no longer popping up to allow me to change it from cvbs to any of the HD formats like AHD or CVI, TVI.

No joystick. Mouse. There's not option on the bottom left of the screen to alter format. It's only accessible from the PTZ menu on the main camera screen. But that's just not displaying anymore for some odd reason. Camera is outputting an analogue/standard definition signal only. Looks dreadful.

If I change all the channels format from DVR menu to cvbs or auto, only then it displays the cameras in cvbs/SD resolution. Setting it to TVI or ahd, or CVI gives me a blank screen with the dahua logo.

Protocol is set to hdcvi3.0 but the control mode is greyed out. I can no longer change that.

Ok. You can’t set the format via ptz control

all dahua unit have a manual mode 

settings …..cameras……. Then channel format

tick all auto then save …… then switch off recorder and camera power supply …… switch recorder back on first ….. let it boot up before you switch on power supply for cameras

8 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Ok. You can’t set the format via ptz control

all dahua unit have a manual mode 

settings …..cameras……. Then channel format

tick all auto then save …… then switch off recorder and camera power supply …… switch recorder back on first ….. let it boot up before you switch on power supply for cameras

Thanks a lot for those tips. I have already tried that - the 'auto' settings makes the camera default to cvbs. I've tried restarting and switching off and on too.

I don't have a separate power supply for the cameras. When I turn on mains from the wall, the DVR and cameras turn on themselves.

I will try this step once again just to make sure. For some reason, the system is blocking me out of the PTZ menu where you get to select output format, make picture enhancements, white balance, etc. I saw one video where the guy said that setting it to cvbs or SD will no longer make the PTZ menu accessible and that you have to change settings manually. 

But with channels set to auto, the only available resolutions are the cvbs ones, with the setting above the channel protocol greyed out - it should say hdcvi, but it's completely greyed out.

It's as if the cameras are now locked in cvbs mode and there's nothing in the DVR menu that lets me switch I back to CVI, TVI or AHD, for example.

If I manually set the channels to CVI or AHD, then I get the full resolution settings in the menu that the DVR can do - e.g. 1080p and 5mp, but then the camera screens are black with a question mark at the bottom.

It's as if the cameras are now just stuck in cvbs. I hope I don't have to get them reset or replaced.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really distraught over this. Got both cameras and DVR very recently!

I'd attach photos but there is a 1.2mb limit!

Edit: the small power supply units are attached to the DVR, they're not independent. Do when they are both hooked up to the DVR, that's when they get juice. I  also tried powering up the DVR first waited for it to initialize and boot up, then hooked up cameras to even different ports. Same issue: they just default to cvbs.

I should mention that I have the latest firmware.

If it helps, I can email you screen shots of everything to help you better understand the setup and what could be causing the issue.

Thanks so much for providing prompt help!

Edit #2: sorry, you were right - there is a separate power plug for the DVR and cameras. I did what you said,but the only available resolutions are the SD ones no whatever what I set the channels to. Oddly, at bootup the DVR does switch to a 1080p Res like it always does. But the cameras are not picking up this Res. 960 x 480 is the highest res I'm seeing in the menu, even though last night I could see all the higher resolution and max bit rate of 6144, when the cameras were disconnected from the back of the unit.

I've given up at this point and really require your expertise.tried the following again:

1. Set channels to Auto

2. Switched off DVR

3. Turned on DVR only and wait for bootup

4. Then connect camera power supply - sure enough, both screens indicated "loading"... But they show cvbs.

All 4 channels in Settings indicate a max Res of 960x480. I don't understand.. what happened to the other resolutions? *Irrespective of whether I choose AHD, CVI or Auto*

Instead of Auto, I also set the channels to AHD and CVI, then booted up the DVR, and then connected the cameras. No picture. It seems the camera can only pick up a signal via cvbs. This is beyond strange...

The problem is that you have changed your camera into CVBS mode and therefore lost the control over co-ax/CAT5 function to access the OSD (On screen Display) menu.

Its a catch 22 because to fix the issue you need to undo what you have done but cant because you have no way to control the OSD menu through CVBS.

A factory default of the camera should sort this out. Some cameras have a hatch on them with a button inside that needs holding down for 60 seconds as power is introduced to the camera.

Others can be taken apart and may have said button on the mainboard. If none of these are available, some have two terminals that need to be bridged in order to short the camera and return it to factory settings.

1 hour ago, CCTVDude88 said:

The problem is that you have changed your camera into CVBS mode and therefore lost the control over co-ax/CAT5 function to access the OSD (On screen Display) menu.

Its a catch 22 because to fix the issue you need to undo what you have done but cant because you have no way to control the OSD menu through CVBS.

A factory default of the camera should sort this out. Some cameras have a hatch on them with a button inside that needs holding down for 60 seconds as power is introduced to the camera.

Others can be taken apart and may have said button on the mainboard. If none of these are available, some have two terminals that need to be bridged in order to short the camera and return it to factory settings.

Thanks for the response. Catch 22 indeed!

Finally managed to track down the CCTV guy who installed it. He said the same without hesitation: that the cameras will be dismantled and taken to the manufacturer's service center to do a manual/hardware reset or factory reset, whatever they call it.

Don't know why this is even a thing .... If CVBS locks you out of the OSD menu and you can't change back to the HD modes, then why even have it as an option to begin with? Makes no sense ??

If only I knew, would have never tinkered with it in the first place.

Sorry but that is bull. 

The dvr controls the cameras not the other way round 

On 7/22/2021 at 7:44 AM, techie996 said:

All 4 channels in Settings indicate a max Res of 960x480.

You also might of set recorder out of range 

( video output) which is also a setting in your menu having this set wrong will only allow you to use CVBS which is 960h  

been dealing with dahua over 15 years and never had a camera that won’t change

and I know dahua does not reset cameras

and you will not find anyone on any forum sending cameras back to reformat 

you also have a factory reset in your menu …. Use that ……. But disconnect all cameras first

The video output setting is only accessible from the cameras' OSD menu. The xvr only allows me to select channel type and resolution. As you already know the camera OSD is no longer accessible as it is stuck in cvbs mode.

Maybe dahua do s not reset cameras but that is the only way to restore them to factory setting.

Hie can I set the recorde out of range? I haven't done anything that would cause it to do that.

Already did the factory reset twice. Once with cameras disconnected and then connected. All the available resolutions came back but when cameras got connected, it said "resolution will adjust automatically". And guess what? Defaulted back to cvbs @960h resolution. It's the only resolution and mode my cams are picking up. 

The cameras have locked me out of the OSD menu and that is the only way to adjust video output. You seen to be having a hard time accepting that - don't know why you wrote it off as "bull". 

I simply explained the options that are available to me now as a result of setting video output from CVI to CVBS - from the internal menu and not the dahua recorder menu. I've mentioned the model number at the start of the thread I think.

7 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Sorry but that is bull. 

The dvr controls the cameras not the other way round 

You also might of set recorder out of range 

( video output) which is also a setting in your menu having this set wrong will only allow you to use CVBS which is 960h  

been dealing with dahua over 15 years and never had a camera that won’t change

and I know dahua does not reset cameras

and you will not find anyone on any forum sending cameras back to reformat 

you also have a factory reset in your menu …. Use that ……. But disconnect all cameras first

Please check above reply

Ok we don’t seam to be getting anywhere 

your camera does not send data to recorder only it’s video output 

your recorder controls camera via data 

your installer must only be part time …….. Split between McDonald’s and installing 

because sending cameras back to dahua for reset  is crap  ……. Posting to China you also have to pay post back to you adds up to 5 time the cost of a 5mp analog camera so makes no sense 

3 hours ago, techie996 said:

Hie can I set the recorde out of range? I haven't done anything that would cause it to do that.

When you did a reset did the settings stay the same while cameras were not connected

there are many reasons and fixes to your problem

another one is your units password….. who set it up for you

2 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Ok we don’t seam to be getting anywhere 

your camera does not send data to recorder only it’s video output 

your recorder controls camera via data 

your installer must only be part time …….. Split between McDonald’s and installing 

because sending cameras back to dahua for reset  is crap  ……. Posting to China you also have to pay post back to you adds up to 5 time the cost of a 5mp analog camera so makes no sense 

When you did a reset did the settings stay the same while cameras were not connected

there are many reasons and fixes to your problem

another one is your units password….. who set it up for you

Would it be possible to discuss this on a FB messenger or WhatsApp call?

Ever figure out a solution to this?   I screwed up trying to get 1080p 30fps,  and now have one Lorex 4k camera that's stuck in CVBS mode with no way to access the camera setting menu to change it.  Spent an hour on the phone with Lorex and they did not give any solution other than to ship the camera back to them for warranty replacement.  

I had the same problem 2 days ago.

I'm not sure what tomcctv is referring to...but if the camera does not have a reset button on it...or inside the cover (on the board) there is no way to reset it as it is. Not even from the DVR since trough CVBS mode the DVR can't send commands to the camera.

The only solution is to buy this item PFM820 | Dahua Technology (dahuasecurity.com). It is verry cheap... found it in my country for about $10. You need to pass the DVR coaxial cable trough this device and then you can set the mode back to CVI.

On 7/24/2021 at 3:58 AM, techie996 said:

Would it be possible to discuss this on a FB messenger or WhatsApp call?

same would it be allowed to discuss throw social media 

techi996 actually i also have same situation with Dahua CCTV.

I accidently changed my OTG setting from AHD or TVI to CVBS. Now, i stuck.

Did you or anyone find solution, Please share guyzz, it's very important info for all of users.

Thank You!

the only way to solve this problem is to use UTC Controller ( PFM820 )

nothing else can return from CVBS to CVI again

I have never brought or seen any manufacturer that makes a 4 in one camera that can only change from TVI,CVI,AHD and CVBS via the OSD menu. Having that option for you guys that don't understand why ( no offence to anyone by that) is that i no longer need to run a beldon cable for  rs 485 comms for data to the camera (this cable allows me to control the camera for zoom, focus,name of camera,privacy and all other sorts. Like the other gentleman said, you must have a button or a switch inside the camera or via the rg59 coaxial cable. 

In the old days you would need for one camera....................one rg59 coaxial cable, one power cable and the one cable for your data.....

Now we can do it all via the RG59 coaxial cable which i think is absolutely amazing.

Hi, I've got this same problem! Arrrrh with my Swann DVR (I shouldn't of played with settings without enough knowledge) has anyone got the solution as I don't really want to buy another set up!??! I have spent countless hours and aged a few yrs over this haha thanks in advanced 

Hello, Dear thank you for your support and help it was helpful for me, to keep posting such informative stuff with us. Also, check our captionme.net for daily social life help.

I have the same issue. I now sit with a really expensive 4k camera that's stuck in an unwatchable resolution with no PTZ menu to change it back. My 5mp camera is in the same boat. I purchased a UTC Controller but guess what? They only work on 1080p and bellow cameras. This is truly a BAD move from manufacturers.

Why put the setting there if there's no going back?

Why not warn people on the box or manual?