Sign in to follow this  
Newbie John

Power supply ring for wireless / wifi

OK be gentle with me,

I'm thinking of getting a wireless / wifi system with 5 camera's , each camera has its own psu 12v 2A

instead of drilling 5 holes to get power out I was thinking of running 1 cable of 12v and 10A around the house and at each camera an ip65 box for the juction

would this work ? would you go slightly higher than 10A ? and what sort of cable to do the ring ? hope this makes sense

Just trying to work out how im gona get power to all the camera before purchase , cheers John

Hi. 12v 2amp ……. The 2amp side is protection for each camera …… so you will not have any protection on each camera if your using 10amp power supply in a ring

also Wi-Fi systems are a bit deceiving….. it’s a wireless signal to dvr also known as a proprietary system you can’t use another brand camera

how many cameras are you installing

Hi. No.   Each camera is protected via a 2amp power supply which is a bit more than its needs 

connect it to a 10amp then if a camera has a problem it has no protection … could over heat and even catch fire

same as a fuse in a circuit board …… 2 amp fuse protects it …….. put a 20amp fuse and fuse won’t blow so damages circuit board

and you never do a low voltage ring

but there are different ways to run cameras but not many options with wireless

what system was you looking at

So if I run a ring of 12v @10A   ( 5 cameras at 2a )   each splitter then goes into juuction box with a 2A fuse to the camera all should be good ?

why never a low voltage ring?

2 hours ago, Newbie John said:

why never a low voltage ring?

Hi. No point having a return ….. 12v dc is pointless 

I can see your set on doing it this way 

but it’s going to give you problems from day 1 

In cctv it is always best to keep power to each camera (interrupted power supply)

and reason is a faulty camera will not pass electrical problems onto another camera that has no problems

yes your right "ring" is the wrong word  ( maybe "rail" would have been better ) and I have not made my mind up at all.. just not keen on drilling lots of holes in walls to get power outside.

My thought was have 1 cable running 12v @ 10A from 1 psu , and as each camera need a waterprof junction box I could stick a 2A fuse in each box for each camera

If 1 camera goes down the rest are fine, You say im gona have problems from day 1 could you please help / enlighten me here