Sign in to follow this  
Andrewjdt

Linux app to record IP camera feeds as mp4/avi on demand

Hi all

I am looking to build a simple app (or use something existing( to record feeds from 8 IP cameras on demand. Literally a start and stop click from a user. 

I’d like it to store these feeds in MP4 or AVI format at 1080p 60 FPS (as these dahua cameras are able to provide) so that I can write a separate application to grab those videos, stitch them together and put an overlay on and spit out to an audience feed screen. 

It’s for a sporting event so when a competitor comes into the arena the cameras grab that section of 10-15 seconds max (started and stopped by a user clicking on a start/stop button) and then I can do the stitching and adding info on a separate device. 

Do you know of any stock standard ways to do this?

Many thanks!

Find a VMS that records and exposes that recording stream over RTSP playback, then use FFMPEG to grab it and write it to a file over the selected period. I *think* the FFMPEG cli is capable of this, but not 100% sure.

I can recommend my own VMS from Monocle Security for this, because it support this feature, but you will have to pay for an additional 4 cameras, there may be others that are free up to 8. If FFMPEG isn't capable of doing what you need, I can modify the monocle command line interface to include your requirements.