Number5shirt

Advice for rural business install

Hi all,

I've just moved my small business to a rural premises in the north of England and am looking to get advice on cctv installation. I've had 3 installation contractors look at the job, and whilst all are willing to agree with my assessment that a 4 (initial) camera/8 channel system is sufficient, they all tell a different story when it comes to what type of cameras they should be, Also, frustratingly, none are willing to offer specifics on the hardware with regard to manufacturer etc. and will only offer the vaguest answers when I ask for more detail. It's thus impossible to make a judgement as to the quality of the hardware, or make any like for like comparisons. I've now lost faith in going down the pro install route and am looking into installing myself, so I'm looking for advice.

Hi. I have come across this many times in uk 

finding a pro is none existent and if you find a spark to quote you they will hide the spec and the reason is they buy there kit from eBay and the likes and 9 times out of 10 it will be cheap hikvision with a massive markup 

yes your right always look for expansion when installing saves money later

can you install yourself as most systems are now plug and play

what is your budget

Hi. That is a high budget you will get change from that 

if installing yourself then I would go for an iP camera system with a nvr  ….. cable provides power and the data all in one so no power supplies to bother about plus if you have a camera you can’t get cable to the location but power there you can use power adapters 

how far north are you. 

Hi. That is silly money

was there any requirements to for cameras with long range ? And are cameras local to house …… 2.5 to 3 must of included a ptz camera 

not that far from me then York

Hi,

The requirement is to cover approaches on two elevations to a distance of about 20m, a third to about 30m (all with a fairly narrow field of view), and the last to about 40m with a wider field. The neighbouring frontage falls within that 40m so this last one would ideally produce enough resolution to be useful to them as well. Two contractors advised fixed units at the four corners, although with very different lens and resolution specs, and the third (highest price) included 3 fixed and a ptz mounted away from the property to cover the larger zone.

Hi ok short distances ….. going 4K resolution on all cameras with wide lens does away with using different lenses on lower res cameras

check your pm for some good equipment for rural locations