Sign in to follow this  
stevee

Qvis Apollo 8ch DVR

A couple of months ago @tomcctv was very helpfull and I was able to get the hard drive recording again. It stopped a couple of times but then ran for 6 weeks and i hoped it was going to be OK but has since stopped again and needed formatting. I now think I am going to have to take some action before it fails completely.

How much am I likely to have to pay to get a new hard drive installed, will it have to be a specific one for the unit or will any one of the right size and capacity do?

Second question is should I consider just changing the recorder, presumably that would come with a hard drive fitted.

Stevee

Hi. Stevee   You might find it’s not the hard drive. The fan on top of cpu. Might be on its way out

Are you using the explorer app ?

yes your right for the cost of a new hard drive  for a bit more you can get a new recorder

• Like 1

Hi Tomcctv,

Yes I am using the explorer app, got it working eventually with compatibilty view.

The first time it stopped recording the guy who came out to it just formatted the disc and told me if it stopped again would need a new hard drive, so that is where that information came from, he didn't open it up and was only here 10 mins and charged us £90. He said if he had to fit a new hard drive it would be about £200, so that is why I am thinking about changing the recorder and was canvassing for thoughts on what I would expect to pay as it is just over 10 years old. After him formatting it last Sept it ran until July no probs. The frist formatting got it going for a week but the second one it lasted about 6 weeks so was overwriting ok.

Hi stevee 

£90 is not bad to just move a mouse and click on format it’s very technical wonder how much he would charge to get some tools out

£200 to fit a hard drive …. 5 mins work…. There is no programming just two wire connections 

but less than £200 you can have a new dvr with the ability to change your cameras overtime to 4K so gives you another 5 to 10 years 

but first if you have a Philips screw driver I will send you a hard drive for free for your pioneer

take top cover off then turn unit over and you will see 4 screws holding hard drive in … unplug the two wires and insert new one 

then see if you have the same problems 

does that sound like a plan

• Like 1

Hi tomcctv,

Thank You very much for your kind offer. I didn't particularly want to do it myself as at the moment I have a working system and with my clumsy fingers might end up with one that does not work but if I cannot get anyone to do it for a reasonable price, that is what I might have to do.

How much should I expect to pay to have the hard drive replaced, and how much to completely replace the unit? I have had a local company recommended and could do with knowing what to expect their prices to come in at.

I have just been looking hard drives up and if I do end up having a go myself I have a Western Digital 1.5TB green sat here that I took out of an old pc before scrapping it (first time I have opened a pc up but thought it wasn't a good idea sending it to the tip with hard drive in place), would that do or should I be looking at something else. Some people say green will work fine but others say it won't.

Hi stevee  yes the hard drive out of your pc should work … just check the drive speed as the Apollo only uses 7.200 rpm …. It will be listed on the drive

its is worth doing your self it won’t stop your recorder working

To be honest instead of calling an engineer to insert a hard drive on a old machine like that I would spend the money on a new dvr you will save money 

we’re are you located