Sign in to follow this  
Hugosp

turning laptop into a NVR.

I searched the Internet and came up with a YouTube video on this.

Problem is I can understand the first minuit or so of this but the guy becomes impossible to understand.

I think he is using a Hikvision box of sorts with a number of channels and an external drive suitable for video recording.

My ailing system needs to be replace. To go the whole hog on a Hixvision system will cost. So I was hoping to use an old acer laptop with Windows 10 installed. The laptop has been very reliable to date.

Thanks but what else do I need to do?

I would need a step by step guide to the complete set up please?

What hardware do I need?

What software?

How do I go about it?

Can I use my current cameras for now and upgrade later or do I need to go for new Hikvision cameras now?

My cables seem to be pants so possibly updating with cat 5? If I do this do I need a separate power supply for the cameras?

Many thanks

Hi. With you saying upgrading cables to cat5 it sounds like your currently using analog

as far as vms …. It depends on how many cameras  and I think your wasting money paying for a vms every year

what equipment do you have now

Currently 6 cameras intending to use 8

The analogue cables are slowly dying off in that they are simply failing. Annoyingly I spent time routing them through the fabrixk of the house when I was putting up new fascias etc. The best I can hope for is that I can use them to pull through new.

Also the DVR looks to have turned up its toes.

The system is a Sannce dl81b with 720 cameras. The resolution isn't great. It can't for example pick up car registrations.

The idea of using an old laptop as an NVR appeals to me as I was hoping to save some cash on the NVR side of things. I have a plethora of old laptops.

Hi ok it sounds like you used a sannce cctv kit and the camera cables to go with it …… which is not coax and that type of cable does not last (pre made cables)

an nvr or HD recorder will be a cheaper option than a laptop with vms  and your laptop will let you down more than be a security system

it depends on which option to take nvr or dvr on what your budget is 

I take it your in the uk 

Happy to go to around 3 to 400. As you say the cables have not lasted.

As an aside where di the cables usually fail? Are they prone to failings the ends of at any random place?

Hi. The cables failed before you even used them 

analog cameras are 75ohm (coax) the lead kits are 100ohm and this effects image quality….. also the power side…… the cable conductor is too small and is noticeable on long cable runs

with your budget then I would go iP system with nvr

as you can see from the link provided for a vms  that’s you budget gone and you don’t own anything

i would start off with a 8 way nvr and a few cameras with your budget and just keep adding more cameras as and when your budget allows…… but stay away from hikvision if in the uk

28 minutes ago, Hugosp said:

Why is hikvision an issue is it the software?

Which manufacturer would you suggest please?

Hi. I have talked about hikvision on here for years 

people install security for many reasons but did not expect hikvision to be collecting personal information from customers without customers knowing 

so infact made security useless 

I would look at tvt if your in the uk